Jatin Nathwani, Professor and Ontario Research Chair in Public Policy for Sustainable Energy is the founding Executive Director of the Waterloo Institute for Sustainable Energy (WISE) at University of Waterloo. He is cross appointed to the Faculty of Engineering and the Faculty of Environment. In the Faculty of Engineering, he is cross appointed to the Department of Management Sciences and the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering. Professor Nathwani joined the University of Waterloo in 2007.
Professor Nathwani is currently leading a ‘Global Change Initiative - Affordable Energy for Humanity’ to address the challenge of enabling universal access. The focus of this global collaborative effort involves leading universities around the world. The twin goals are to drive the scientific and technological innovations required for energy transitions to a cleaner ‘low carbon’ energy system and to deliver affordable energy to the vast proportion of humanity that has minimal access to electricity and modern fuels for basic needs.
Professor Nathwani’s research interests include energy policy developments, entrepreneurial business innovations for sustainable energy solutions, life-cycle risk management of energy systems, decision-frameworks for managing life safety risks and assessment of strategies and policy instruments for achieving environmental objectives. He has contributed to national and global strategic planning initiatives for sustainability of energy options, including smart energy networks and grids.
He serves on several boards at the provincial and national levels including the Ontario Smart Grid Forum, the Ontario Centre of Excellence (OCE) and the Council for Clean and Reliable Electricity (CCRE). He is the Scientific Advisor to the Waterloo Global Science Initiative (WGSI), a partnership of the Perimeter Institute and the University of Waterloo.
Professor Nathwani has appeared frequently in the media and has over 100 publications related to energy and risk management, including 7 books.
- Engineering Design and Operation
- Optimization of Safety and Economics
- Planning for Energy Infrastructure
- Risk Assessment
- Engineering Code of Practice
- Science and Energy Policy
- Data Analytics Research
- 1980, P. Eng., P. Eng., Ontario
- 1979, Doctorate, Chemical Engineering, University of Toronto
- 1976, Master's, Chemical Engineering, University of Toronto
- 1974, Bachelor's, Chemical Engineering, University of Toronto
- AE 224 - Probability and Statistics
- Taught in 2021
- MSCI 433 - Applic. of Management Eng.
- Taught in 2021
- MSCI 760 - Topics Other Areas of Mgmt Sci
- Taught in 2016, 2017, 2019, 2020
- Jafarizadeh,H., Soltani,M., and Nathwani,J., Assessment of the Huntorf compressed air energy storage plant performance under enhanced modifications, Energy Conversion and Management, 209(112662), 2020
- Mahbaz,S.B., Dehghani-Sanij,A.R., Dusseault, M., and Nathwani, J., Enhanced and integrated geothermal systems for sustainable development of Canada’s northern communities, Sustainable Energy Technologies and Assessments, 37(100565), 2020
- Babaei,S.M., Razmi,A.R., Soltani,M., and Nathwani,J., Quantifying the effect of nanoparticles addition to a hybrid refrigeration cycle, Journal of Cleaner Production, 260(121084), 2020
- Nathwani,J., and Ramasra,R., ’The Post-COVID-19 Economy: Financing Canada’s Leadership in Sustainable Energy,, Balsillie Papers, 2020
- Ranjbar,M.S., Kia,H.Z., Nasrazadani., Gharali,K., and Nathwani,J., Experimental and numerical investigations of actuator disks for wind turbines, Energy Sci & Engineering, 2020, 1 - 16
- Hosseinpour, M., Soltani, M., Noofeli, A., and Nathwani, J., An optimization study on heavy oil upgrading in supercritical water through the response surface methodology, Fuel, 271(117618), 2020
- Nathwani,J., Geothermal Energy Resources: An Antidote to the Unbridled Extraction of Fossil Fuels, Journal of Engineering Sciences, 1(1), 2020, 7 - 8
- Kinney, C., Dehghani-Sanij, A., Mahbaz, S., Dusseault, M., Nathwani, J., and Fraser, R., Geothermal Energy for Sustainable Food Production in Canada’s Remote Northern Communities, Energies, 12(4058), 2019, 1 - 25
- Canizares, C., Nathwani, J., and Kammen, D., Electrcity for All: Issues, Challenges, and solutions for Energy-Disadvantaged Communities, Proceedings of the IEEE, 107(9), 2019, 1775 - 1779
- Wang, X., Shao, Q., Nathwani, J., and Zhou Q., Measuring well-being performance of carbon emissions using hybrid measure and meta-frontier techniques: Empirical tests for G20 countries and implications for China, Journal of Cleaner Production, 237(117758), 2019
- Nathwani, J., Kammen ,D.M., Affordable Energy for Humanity: A Global Movement to Support Universal Clean Energy Access, Proceedings of IEEE, 107(9), 2019, 1780 - 1789
- Nathwani, J., Lu,X., Wu,C., and Qin, X., Quantifying security and resilience of Chinese coastal urban ecosystems, Science of the Total Environment, 672, 2019, 51 - 60
- Hosseinpour,M., Hajialirezaei,A., Soltani, M., and Nathwani, J., Thermodynamic analysis of in-situ hydrogen from hot compressed water for heavy oil upgrading, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 44(51), 2019, 27671 - 27684
- Wang,X., Zhang,M., Nathwani, J., and Yang F., Measuring Environmental Efficiency through the Lens of Technological Heterogeneity: A Comparative Study between China and the G20, Sustainability, 11(2), 2019, 1 - 12
- Gabriel, M., and Nathwani, J., The Electricity Journal, Meeting the Texas electricity peak demand conundrum: A case for wind and solar, 31(1), 2018, 57 - 64
- Guler, B., Celebi, E., and Nathwani, J., Energy Policy, Regional Energy Hub’ for Achieving a Low-carbon Energy Transition, 113, 2018, 376 - 385
- Malek, K., and Nathwani, J., Typology of Business Models for Adopting Grid-Scale Emerging Storage Technologies, Technology Management for Social Innovation, 2017
- Wang, Xiaoling and Wu, Chunyou and Nathwani, Jatin, Dynamic response forecasting and optimising paths of energy efficiency, International Journal of Computational Science and Engineering, 12(1), 2016, 86 - 93
- Wang, Xiaoling and Nathwani, Jatin and Wu, Chunyou, Visualization of International Energy Policy Research, Energies, 9(2), 2016
- Wang, X., Xiaoling, W., and Nathwani, J., Analysis of the Dynamic Evolution of China's Wind Power System, The Electricity Journal, 27(2), 2014, 68 - 75
- Pandey, M.D. and Nathwani, J.S., Foundational Principles of Welfare Economics Underlying the Life Quality Index for Efficient Risk Management, Int. J. Risk Assessment and Management, 17(6), 2007
- Pandey, M.D. and Nathwani, J.S., A Conceptual Approach to the Estimation of Societal Willingness-to-Pay for Nuclear Safety Programs, Int. J. Nuclear Engineering and Design, 224(1), 2003, 65 - 77
- Nathwani, J., and Stebbing, J., Ontario Hydro's Leak Before Break Approach: Assessment of the Loading Conditions in the Heat Transport System, International Journal of Pressure Vessels and Piping,, International Journal of Pressure Vessels and Piping, 43(1-3), 1990, 113 - 127
- Nathwani, J., Kee, B.L., Kim, C.S., and Kozluk, M.J., Ontario hydro's leak before break approach: Application to the darlington (candu) nuclear generating station a, Nuclear Engineering and Design, 111(1), 1989, 85 - 107
- Jafarizadeh H., Soltani M., Dusseault M.B. and Nathwani J, Thermodynamic Analysis of a Commercialized CAES Plant to Improve Round Trip Efficiency Using Low-grade Waste Heat and Water/Steam Injection, Vth AMMCS International Conference on Applied Mathematics, Modeling and Computational Science, 08 2019, Waterloo, Ontario,Canada
- Mafi,M., Zarabadi, A., Nathwani, J., and Soltani,M., A Numerical Model for Predicting Desalinated Water Production from the Humid Atmosphere by Underground Condensation, Ⅴth AMMCS International Conference on Applied Mathematics, Modeling and Computational Science, 08 2019, Waterloo, Ontario,Canada
- Nathwani,J., and Ravikumar,S.K., Carbon Tax Revisited: innovation in governance for investment in carbon frugal solutions, 6th International Symposium on Environment and Energy Finance Issues (ISEFI-2018), IPAG Centre for Energy Economics and Environment, 05 2018, Paris, 27 - 27
- Nathwani, J., & Knebel, J., Innovation Pathways to Deliver Affordable Energy for Humanity, 4th NAUN International Conference on Energy Systems, Environment, Entrepreneurship and Innovation (ICESEEI '15), 02 2015, Dubai, UAE, 36 - 47
- Malek, Kourosh and Nathwani, Jatin, Technology management tools for assessing emerging technologies: The case of grid-scale storage, 2015 Portland International Conference on Management of Engineering and Technology (PICMET), January 2015, 2346 - 2354
- Jiang, Yuheng Helen and Levman, Ryan and Golab, Lukasz and Nathwani, Jatin, Predicting peak-demand days in the ontario peak reduction program for large consumers, Proceedings of the 5th international conference on Future energy systems, January 2014, 221 - 222
- Nathwani, J., and Ng Artie, W., A “Cap and Invest” Strategy for Managing the Intergenerational Burden of Financing Energy Transitions, Handbook of Green Finance: Energy Security and Sustainable Development, Sachs, J., Thye, W.W., Yoshino, N., and Taghizadeh-Hesary, F., , 80 manuscript pages
- Ng Artie W., and Nathwani, J.,, Sustainable Energy Infrastructure for Asia: Policy Framework for Responsible Financing and Investment, in Routledge Handbook of Energy in Asia, Routledge Handbook of Energy in Asia, , 296 manuscript pages
- Malek, Kourosh and Nathwani, Jatin, Cost Modeling and Valuation of Grid-Scale Electrochemical Energy Storage Technologies, Physical Multiscale Modeling and Numerical Simulation of Electrochemical Devices for Energy Conversion and Storage, , 249 manuscript pages
- Nathwani, J.S and Blackstock, J. (lead authors) Equinox Blueprint Energy 2030 - A technological roadmap for a low-carbon, electrified future, Waterloo Global Science Initiative (WGSI.org), The Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics and the University of Waterloo, February, 2012 (Accepted in 2011)
- Nathwani,J., Coronavirus, Climate and a Clean Energy Transition, Balsillie Papers,
- Chang, H., Ghaddar, B., and Nathwani, J., Shared Community Energy Storage Allocation and Optimization, Manufacturing and Service Operations Management,
- Nathwani, J., Raise the GST as part of a pragmatic plan for climate action, Policy Options,Institute for Research on Public Policy,
- March 17, 2011 The Agenda with Steve Paikin TVO National TV Panel Discussion "Part III in The Agenda's "Pressures of Progress" series: Ontario is trying to become a world leader in green technology. And while the McGuinty Liberals believe it's the future, citizens and industry aren't fully buying in. Do we all want to go green, until it happens?" J. Nathwani. http://www.wise.uwaterloo.ca/communications.html
- J. Nathwani, Managing risk in the public interest. Ontario Centre for Engineering and Public Policy (OCEPP) The Journal of Policy Engagement Vol 2(3) pp. 5-7, June 2010.
- Currently considering applications from graduate students. A completed online application is required for admission; start the application process now.