Jatin Nathwani, Professor and Ontario Research Chair in Public Policy for Sustainable Energy is the founding Executive Director of the Waterloo Institute for Sustainable Energy (WISE) at University of Waterloo. He is cross appointed to the Faculty of Engineering and the Faculty of Environment. In the Faculty of Engineering, he is cross appointed to the Department of Management Sciences and the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering. Professor Nathwani joined the University of Waterloo in 2007.
Professor Nathwani is currently leading a ‘Global Change Initiative - Affordable Energy for Humanity’ to address the challenge of enabling universal access. The focus of this global collaborative effort involves leading universities around the world. The twin goals are to drive the scientific and technological innovations required for energy transitions to a cleaner ‘low carbon’ energy system and to deliver affordable energy to the vast proportion of humanity that has minimal access to electricity and modern fuels for basic needs.
Professor Nathwani’s research interests include energy policy developments, entrepreneurial business innovations for sustainable energy solutions, life-cycle risk management of energy systems, decision-frameworks for managing life safety risks and assessment of strategies and policy instruments for achieving environmental objectives. He has contributed to national and global strategic planning initiatives for sustainability of energy options, including smart energy networks and grids.
He serves on several boards at the provincial and national levels including the Ontario Smart Grid Forum, the Ontario Centre of Excellence (OCE) and the Council for Clean and Reliable Electricity (CCRE). He is the Scientific Advisor to the Waterloo Global Science Initiative (WGSI), a partnership of the Perimeter Institute and the University of Waterloo.
Professor Nathwani has appeared frequently in the media and has over 100 publications related to energy and risk management, including 7 books.
- Engineering Design and Operation
- Optimization of Safety and Economics
- Planning for Energy Infrastructure
- Risk Assessment
- Engineering Code of Practice
- Science and Energy Policy
- Data Analytics Research
- 1980, Other, P. Eng., Ontario
- 1979, Doctorate, Chemical Engineering, University of Toronto
- 1976, Master's, Chemical Engineering, University of Toronto
- 1974, Bachelor's, Chemical Engineering, University of Toronto
- MSCI 760 - Topics in Other Areas of Management Sciences
- Taught in 2016, 2017, 2019
- Wang, Xiaoling and Wu, Chunyou and Nathwani, Jatin, Dynamic response forecasting and optimising paths of energy efficiency, International Journal of Computational Science and Engineering, 12(1), 2016, 86 - 93
- Wang, Xiaoling and Nathwani, Jatin and Wu, Chunyou, Visualization of International Energy Policy Research, Energies, 9(2), 2016
- Pandey, M.D. and Nathwani, J.S., Foundational Principles of Welfare Economics Underlying the Life Quality Index for Efficient Risk Management, Int. J. Risk Assessment and Management, 17(6), 2007
- Pandey, M.D. and Nathwani, J.S., A Conceptual Approach to the Estimation of Societal Willingness-to-Pay for Nuclear Safety Programs, Int. J. Nuclear Engineering and Design, 224(1), 2003, 65 - 77
- Malek, Kourosh and Nathwani, Jatin, Technology management tools for assessing emerging technologies: The case of grid-scale storage, 2015 Portland International Conference on Management of Engineering and Technology (PICMET), January 2015, 2346 - 2354
- Jiang, Yuheng Helen and Levman, Ryan and Golab, Lukasz and Nathwani, Jatin, Predicting peak-demand days in the ontario peak reduction program for large consumers, Proceedings of the 5th international conference on Future energy systems, January 2014, 221 - 222
- Malek, Kourosh and Nathwani, Jatin, Cost Modeling and Valuation of Grid-Scale Electrochemical Energy Storage Technologies, Physical Multiscale Modeling and Numerical Simulation of Electrochemical Devices for Energy Conversion and Storage, , 249 manuscript pages
- Nathwani, J.S and Blackstock, J. (lead authors) Equinox Blueprint Energy 2030 - A technological roadmap for a low-carbon, electrified future, Waterloo Global Science Initiative (WGSI.org), The Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics and the University of Waterloo, February, 2012 (Accepted in 2011)
- March 17, 2011 The Agenda with Steve Paikin TVO National TV Panel Discussion "Part III in The Agenda's "Pressures of Progress" series: Ontario is trying to become a world leader in green technology. And while the McGuinty Liberals believe it's the future, citizens and industry aren't fully buying in. Do we all want to go green, until it happens?" J. Nathwani. http://www.wise.uwaterloo.ca/communications.html
- J. Nathwani, Managing risk in the public interest. Ontario Centre for Engineering and Public Policy (OCEPP) The Journal of Policy Engagement Vol 2(3) pp. 5-7, June 2010.