Stefano Normani is a Research Assistant Professor in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, and a member of the Environmental Modelling and Analysis Group at the University of Waterloo.
Dr. Normani has been involved in litigation support work pertaining to legacy groundwater contamination in both Canada and the United States. His research aims to gain a better understanding of deep groundwater flow systems in both fractured crystalline rock and sedimentary basins. Currently, he is investigating the impacts of paleoclimate perturbations, such as glaciation and deglaciation, on deep groundwater flow systems.
His research interests include numerical modelling and visualization of environmental systems; modelling of groundwater flow, contaminant fate and transport in porous and fractured media, as well as water distribution systems; and multi-dimensional visualization through Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and other high-end visualization packages. Additionally, Dr. Normani has developed numerous pre- and post-processing software tools for data conversion and translation, visualization, synthesis, and analysis.
- Multi-physics computational models for simulating complex subsurface environments
- Deep geologic disposal of radioactive wastes
- High Performance Computing
- 2009, Doctorate, Civil Engineering, University of Waterloo
- 1998, Master of Applied Science, Civil Engineering, University of Waterloo
- 1995, Bachelor of Applied Science, Civil Engineering, University of Waterloo
- Yin, Yong and Sykes, Jonathan F and Normani, Stefano D, Impacts of spatial and temporal recharge on field-scale contaminant transport model calibration, Journal of Hydrology, 527, 2015, 77 - 87
- Fischer, Urs H and Bebiolka, Anke and Brandefelt, Jenny and Follin, Sven and Hirschorn, Sarah and Jensen, Mark and Keller, Siegfried and Kennel lL, Näslund JO and Normani, S and Selroos, JO and others, Radioactive waste under conditions of future ice ages, Snow and Ice-related Hazards, Risks and Disasters, Haeberli W, Whiteman C (eds). Elsevier: Amsterdam, 2014, 345 - 393
- Normani, SD and Sykes, JF, Paleohydrogeologic simulations of Laurentide ice-sheet history on groundwater at the eastern flank of the Michigan Basin, Geofluids, 12(1), 2012, 97 - 122
- Sykes, Jonathan F and Normani, Stefano D and Yin, Yong and Jensen, Mark R, The hydrogeologic environment for a proposed deep geologic repository in Canada for low and intermediate level radioactive waste-59285, , 2012
- Sykes, JF and Normani, SD and Yin, Y, Hydrogeologic modelling, Report NWMO DGR-TR-2011-16, Nuclear Waste Management Organization, Toronto, Canada. Available at URL: http://www. ceaa-acee. gc. ca/050/documents/56540 E, 56540, 2011