Dept of Earth & Environmental Sciences
Centre for Environmental and Information Technology (EIT)
200 University Ave. W
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada N2L 3G1
Phone: (519) 888-4567
Nandita Basu studies the role of humans play in modifying water availability and quality through changing land use and climate, providing innovative solutions to water sustainability challenges.
She actively collaborates with ecologists, social scientists and economists to explore other aspects of sustainable water management as part of her research.
Office: Engineering 2 (E2) 2327
Lab: Physics (PHY) 230
Phone: 519-888-4567, ext. 32257 (PHY office), 37917 (E2 office)
- Contaminant fate and transport
- Watershed biogeochemistry and land use change
- Environmental and ecosystem hydrology
- Ecosystem (including wetland) restoration
- Human impacts on the environment
- Water resource sustainability
Professor Basu aims to discover innovative solutions to water sustainability challenges by studying the emergent patterns in landscape, hydrology and biogeochemistry and the role humans play in modifying such patterns.
She and her research group have used these patterns to develop parsimonious, minimum calibration models that can effectively interface with climate and land-use change models to provide insights into water management on local and regional scales.
Modeling in Prof. Basu's lab is complemented by experimental research to develop innovative, low cost, passive water quality samplers for surface and groundwater applications.
She is also collaborates with ecologists, social scientists and economists to explore other aspects of sustainable water management.
University of Waterloo
- CIVE 230 Engineering for Sustainable Development
- CIVE 770 Topics in Environmental Engineering, "Ecohydrological Modeling"
Previous teaching experience
- Taught undergraduate course on Principles in Environmental Engineering and graduate level courses on ‘Groundwater’ and ‘Water Resources Sustainability’ at the University of Iowa
- Co-instructor (with Professor Suresh Rao), a 2 week session on ‘Contaminant Dynamics across Scales’ at an NSF Summer Institute in Vancouver, Canada.
- Co-instructor (with Professor Suresh Rao), Contaminant Hydrology, Purdue University, 2007 and 2004.
- Co-instructor (with Professor Suresh Rao) a 40-hour short course on ‘Contaminated Site Remediation’ offered by CERAR at University of South Australia, Adelaide, Australia, May 2005.
Please see Nandita Basu's Google Scholar profile for a current list of her peer-reviewed articles.
Awards and Distinctions
- 2014 Ontario Early Researcher Award
- 2010 CUAHSI Young Career Fellowship
- 2009 Gordon Research Conference Travel Award
- 2005-2006 Ludwig Kruhe Fellowship, Purdue University
- 2005 Bossler Environmental Grant, Purdue University
- 2003 Joseph P. Chu Fellowship, Purdue University
- 2001-2003 Andrews Fellowship, Purdue University
- 1997 Sarada Memorial Silver Medal from Jadavpur University, India
- 1997 Prof. S. Neogi Memorial Award from Alumni Association, N.C.E. Bengal & Jadavpur University, India
University of Waterloo Affiliations
- Assistant Professor, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering (joint appointment with Earth and Environmental Sciences)
- Member, The Water Institute
Professional Associations and Service
- Reviewer ES&T, Journal of Hydrology, Water Resources Research, Advances in Water Resources, Hydrology and Earth System Sciences, Journal of Contaminant Hydrology, Journal of Hydrologic Engineering, Hydrological Processes
- Editorial Board member of Hydrological Processes since January 2010.
- Editorial Board member of Hydrology and Earth System Sciences since September 2010.
- Member of CUAHSI Hydrologic Synthesis Committee and AGU Water Quality Technical Committee
- Member of American Geophysical Union and Canadian Geophysical Union
- Member of SETAC
- Member of Association of Environmental Engineering and Science Professors
The following news stories have featured Professor Basu's research:
2006 PhD Civil Engineering, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana
2001 MTech Environmental Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur, India
1997 Bachelor of Civil Engineering Jadavpur University, Calcutta, India