The CGS-MSFSS Program supports high calibre Canadian graduate students in building global linkages and international networks through the pursuit of exceptional research experiences at research institutions abroad. By accessing international scientific research and training, CGS-MSFSS recipients will contribute to strengthening the potential for collaboration between Canadian universities and affiliated research institutions and universities, or other research institutions outside of Canada.
The value of the CGS-MSFSS award is up to $6,000, based on the information and budget justification provided in the application.
To be eligible to apply for this program, applicants must:
- be Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada by the application deadline
- have accepted or currently hold a Canadian Graduate Scholarship (CGS) Master’s or Doctoral, or an eligible Vanier CGS award administered by one of the granting agencies
- ensure that their scholarship will still be active at the time the research study period abroad begins;
- undertake the proposed trip abroad no earlier than the agency's competition deadline date; and
- not currently hold, or have not held, any other CGS-MSFSS during the course of their graduate studies.
To remain eligible, a successful applicant must:
- hold an active CGS at the time your research study period abroad starts;
- be registered full time in a graduate degree program at a Canadian institution for the duration of time abroad;
- take up the award within one year of receiving the notice/offer of award for the CGS-MSFSS; and
- return to complete your degree at your Canadian institution; and
- ensure that subject matter remains eligible at the agency that granted the CGS award.
Typically there are two institutional deadlines per year, in May and in September, however sometimes a third call for applications is made in January. Prior to each deadline, information will be circulated by the Manager, Graduate Financial Aid and Awards in Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Affairs to the Department Graduate Co-ordinators to share with their students. A targeted email will also go out to all known CGS scholarship holders advising them of this opportunity.