Vanessa Schweizer, PhD
Assistant Professor and Associate Chair, Undergraduate Studies
Department of Knowledge Integration
- Geography and Environmental Management
- School of Environment, Enterprise and Development
- School of Environment, Resources and Sustainability
- Systems Design Engineering
Fellow at the Balsillie School of International Affairs
Phone: (519) 888-4567 ext. 35106
Office: Environment 1 (EV1), room 211
PhD Engineering and Public policy, Carnegie Mellon University, 2010
Masters Environmental Studies, The Evergreen State College, 2007
BSc (H) Physics (minors in Mathematics, Philosophy, Speech Communication), University of Nevada, USA, 2001
Collective decision-making. This includes many processes such as articulating aspirations and values, exercising foresight, confronting uncertainties and risks, and negotiating tradeoffs.
Active research projects:
- Systematic approaches to scenario design for large-scale environmental change
- Path dependencies and discontinuities in social and technological change
- Interdisciplinary knowledge integration for environmental problems, especially climate change
- Schweizer, V.J. and Kurniawan, J.H. (2016) Systematically linking qualitative elements of scenarios across levels, scales, and sectors. In press with Environmental Modelling & Software, doi:10.1016/j.envsoft.2015.12.014
- Lloyd, E.A. and Schweizer,V.J. (2014) Objectivity and a comparison of methodological scenario approaches for climate change research. Synthese, 191, 2049-2088.
- Schweizer, V.J. and O’Neill B.C. (2014) Systematic construction of global socioeconomic pathways using internally consistent element combinations. Climatic Change, 122, 431-445 for the Special Issue on "A Framework for the Development of New Socioeconomic Scenarios for Climate Change Research."
- Schweizer, V.J. and Kriegler, E. (2012) Improving environmental change research with systematic techniques for qualitative scenarios. Environmental Research Letters, 7, 044011.
- O’Neill, B.C. and Schweizer, V. (2011) Projection and Prediction: Mapping the Road Ahead. News & Views article for Nature Climate Change, 1, 352–353.
- Paper with E.A. Lloyd recognized with a Diamond Ranking by editors of Synthese for being one of the top 10 downloaded papers of 2014
- Contributing author to Ch. 21 (Regional Context) of the contribution of Working Group II (Impacts, Adaptation and Vulnerability) to the Fifth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change
- Paper with E. Kriegler selected for the "Highlights of 2012" collection of Environmental Research Letters
- Doctoral fellowships from the Link Foundation (Energy Fellow, 2008-2010) and The Henry Luce Foundation (Clare Boothe Luce Fellow, 2005-2007)
- INTEG 121: Design and Problem Solving
- INTEG 251: Creative Thinking
- INTEG 452: Real World Problem Solving
- INTEG 475 Special Topics: Evidence-Based Decision Making