Frequently asked questions for current KI students

Main topic areas:

About Course Selection

  • For detailed guidance on when to take your courses, see KI Course Sequence.
  • Breadth requirements: which courses can I take? see KI Breadth Courses
  • How do I get permission to take a non-listed course to meet a breadth requirement?
    • In exceptional cases, students may debate to have a course count towards a breadth requirement that is not listed. In particular, students transferring from other programs may find that some of their courses may meet breadth requirements. Students considering these options should consult with the Knowledge Integration Undergraduate Advisor ideally 2 terms before they would take the course, although retroactive approvals may also be possible for transfer students. Please note that you will need to share the most recent syllabus for the course you wish to count towards your breadth requirement for the Advisor and Associate Chair to review.  
    • If your non-listed course meets a breadth requirement, the Undergraduate Advisor may be in touch to request feedback from your experience in the course in order to consider whether the course should be added to the list of approved courses if it is open to KI students.
  • What if I can’t get into a course? There are two ways you can request an override:
    • For a course in Knowledge Integration, you can email the KI Undergraduate Advisor
    • For a course in another department, you can email the academic advisor for the host program and ask for permission to take the course.
    • Although most approvals are now processed over email, you may need to complete the Course Override Form if requested by an academic advisor.
    • Be sure to indicate what it is you are requesting the override for: e.g.,
      • Class Full
      • Reserve Seat Requirement
      • Time Conflict
  • How can I add or drop a course?
    • If you want to drop one course in order to add another, use the swap function in Quest. Handy Quest step-by step instructions for adding, dropping, swapping, and viewing your appointment time.
    • (See below for more about drop deadlines)
  • How can I enroll in courses at Laurier?

Choosing courses

  • For guidance on course selection, please refer to emails sent from the Undergraduate Advisor. If you have any questions, you can email the KI Undergraduate Advisor, set up an appointment, or stop by during their office hours to discuss your options.

How to access important information

Can I take more than 2.75 units in one term?

  • If your overall GPA is at least 80% and you are in 2A or higher, you may request permission to take 6 courses. To do so, email the KI Undergraduate Advisor.

When is the drop deadline?

  • Current Undergraduate calendar - Events and Academic Deadlines
  • Registrar's Office Important Dates
  • How is my record affected if I drop a course?
    • If you drop before the WD period, there is no effect on your record. The course will not appear on your transcript.
    • If you drop during the WD period, there is no effect on your average. However, there will be a WD on your transcript indicating that you withdrew from the course and received no credit.
    • If you drop during the WF period, a grade of 32% is assigned and a WF will be on your transcript.
  • I’m not doing well in a course - should I drop?
    • If the WD deadline is coming up and you have a fairly good idea you’re going to get a grade that will bring your MAV below 70%, you may want to consider dropping it. Talking further with the KI Undergraduate Advisor is recommended, and necessary if you are thinking of dropping a core KI course.

How are non-numeric grades reflected on my transcript?

What does OSAP consider a full course load?

What if I miss a test/assignment/lab due to illness?

I experienced extenuating circumstances that affected my academic performance. What should I do?

  • Please speak with the KI Undergraduate Advisor about how things went. The options available to you -- which might include a petition -- will depend on your particular circumstances.

Incompletes - process, limits, effects

  • Prior to the end of term, ask for an INC from the instructor. The two of you must decide on a date of completion, which must be communicated to the Registrar’s Office.
  • The standard date for completion is the end of that term (i.e. the end of the exam period)
  • If the work is not completed on time, the INC will revert to the grade earned at that time.
  • The student will receive a confirmation email from the Registrar for the deadline by which the INC must be completed as well as the grade the INC will revert to if not completed on time. Important: If you do not receive such an email from the Registrar’s Office, alert the instructor.
  • At a maximum, an INC must be completed within one calendar year.
  • The most INCs a student can carry at any point is two. If you have two INCs that need to be completed, you will not be able to enrol in more than three courses per term until the INCs are completed.

How do I withdraw from the term?

What is the process for transferring to another Faculty?

  • If you wish to transfer to another Faculty, you should meet with the Academic Advisor for the program or Faculty you wish to transfer to. Contact information can be found on the website for that program/Faculty.
  • In addition, you will need to complete the Faculty Transfer Form
  • Additional information can be found at Transferring plans and/or institutions

Requirements to graduate

Additional Academic Opportunities

Minors, options, majors, joint degrees

  • Declare any minors, options, majors, joint degrees early through the Plan Modification Form, as calendar requirements can change. Be sure to send the completed form to both the KI Undergraduate Advisor and to the academic advisor of the program you are adding to your degree for approval.
  • Note that Certificates and Diplomas can only be declared at the time of graduation.
  • Joint Honours with Knowledge Integration
  • Which KI courses count towards a Philosophy Minor?
    • INTEG 220 is cross listed with PHIL 290
    • INTEG 221 is cross listed with PHIL 291
    • PHIL 145
  • If you are considering having a single course count toward more than one credential, talk to the KI Undergraduate Advisor to ensure it is counted properly in your academic plans. (See more below regarding how single courses are counted toward multiple academic credentials.)

What specializations does KI offer? How do I declare or change my specialization?

Can a single course count toward my BKI and other academic credentials?

There is no limit on the number of courses that can count toward the BKI and another academic credential, such as a minor. When a single course is used for two credentials, we call this “double counting”. However, “triple counting” a single course is not allowed. If a course is required for the BKI (i.e. a core or breadth requirement) and also required for a KI specialization, its application to the BKI and specialization are considered a single use/count. Here is an example of how the Counting of Courses Policy works:

Sydney Studies-Hard is working on four credentials: a BKI; Collaborative Design Specialization (CDS); Science, Technology, and Society (STS) Specialization; and Minor in Philosophy. Sydney is able to advance all four credentials because:

INTEG 120 is a required course for the BKI and the CDS (one count)

INTEG 120 is a required course for the STS Specialization (double count)

INTEG 220 is a required course for the BKI and the STS Specialization (one count)

INTEG 220 can be applied to the Minor in Philosophy (double count)

If you are considering having a single course count toward more than one credential, talk to the KI Undergraduate Advisor to ensure it is counted properly in your academic plans.

What is the EDGE certificate? How do I register?

  • EDGE is the University of Waterloo’s experiential education certificate program. Some KI courses may be preapproved for the EDGE certificate. Learn more about EDGE and how to register.

What is KI Works? How do I register?

  • KI Works is an optional work program for KI students. If you have a summer job that is relevant to your degree or career aspirations, you can enroll in KI Works.
  • Although it is not an accredited co-op program, KI Works shares most of the same requirements and will thus be evidence of the same kind of experience and learning that employers have become used to in Waterloo graduates.

How do I find out about an international exchange?

Applying for grad school and scholarships (& letters of recommendation more generally)

Resources on campus

Contact us: