First aid

First aid locations | First aid procedures | Chemical spills and exposure | Electric shock | Reporting accidents | Major accident reporting | Minor accident reporting

First aid kit locations



CPH 1327 Engineering Society
CPH 1338 Engineering Society
CPH 1324 Management Sciences
CPH 4301H Management Sciences

All physical injuries must be reported to the laboratory technician and/or the administrative officer.

First aid procedures

Minor injuries may be treated at Health Services or by trained MSci staff (see emergency information – trained first aiders).
Major injuries or illness are best handled by phoning 911. After contacting 911, also inform UW police (519-888-4911 or ext. 22222) of your situation so that they can provide immediate assistance. The ambulance entrance for your area is listed on the first aid poster. First aid posters are located in the Management Engineering Laboratory and in CPH 4301H.
If you encounter someone who is suffering from a medical condition or injury take the following action:
  • If an ambulance is required, contact 911 and UW police (ext. 22222), advising them of your location and the location of the individual
  • UW police will dispatch a constable to the location
  • UW police will meet the fire/paramedic service and escort them to your location
  • If qualified, administer first aid. If not, seek assistance from someone who is qualified
  • Monitor the individual until the arrival of fire/paramedic service personnel

Return to top of page

Chemical spills and exposures

Review safety data sheet (SDS) prior to handling any chemical or material for proper handling and safety recommendations.

In case of spill, see SDS for appropriate cleaning procedures. Call UW police (519-888-4911 or ext. 22222) for hazardous material spills.
See SDS for instructions on skin exposure, eye exposure, inhalation, or ingestion. Avoid wearing contact lenses if chemical splash is a concern. An eye wash station is located in CPH 1324 laboratory.

Electric shock

  • ACT FAST – CALL UW POLICE Ext. 22222
  • Do not touch the person until the power has been shut off
  • Do not remove the person from the electric source until the power has been shut off
  • If you cannot shut off the power, use an insulator such as dry rope, cloth, or broom handle to drag the person away from live wire
  • If there is not heartbeat and no breathing, do CPR only if you are trained
  • If there is a heartbeat but no breathing, immediately start rescue breathing
  • Check for burns and treat as third degree burns
  • If the person is breathing, put them in the recovery position
  • Get person to doctor if heart skipping beats, fever or coughing up sputum

Return to top of page

Reporting accidents

All accidents, incidents and near misses must be reported. Should an injury or incident occur:

  • Obtain medical aid, if necessary (in which case, departments must provide immediate transportation to health services, hospital, doctor’s office, walk-in clinic, or worker’s home)
  • Report any injury to your supervisor, the health and safety coordinator, and/or the administrative officer immediately
  • Complete injury/incident report with your supervisor the health and safety coordinator and/or the administrative officer and forward to the Safety Office, Commissary Building within one day of the injury
  • Should you have any questions or concerns contact Kate Windsor at extension 35814 or Sheila Hurley at extension 33587

Return to top

Major accidents

Critical injuries must be reported immediately to the Safety Office (ext. 33587). Critical injuries include:
  • Heart attack
  • Stroke
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Unconsciousness
  • Substantial loss of blood
  • Fracture of leg or arm, but not finger or toe
  • Amputation of a leg, arm, hand or foot, but not a finger or toe
  • Burns to major portion of body
  • Eye injuries
  • Shock
In the event of a death or critical injury, do not “interfere with, disturb, destroy, alter, or carry away any wreckage, article, or thing at the scene of or connected with the occurrence until permission to do so has been given by an inspector”, unless necessary to:
  • Save life or relieve human suffering
  • Maintain an essential public utility service or a public transportation system
  • Prevent unnecessary damage to equipment or other property

Minor accidents

If you use material from a first aid kit, you must record the details in the first aid log book. 
If you require the services of a health professional or lose time from work as a result of an accident, an UW accident investigation form must be completed. This is a government (Workers Compensation Act) regulation and results in a fine if ignored. Remember that breaches of the Ontario Health and Safety Act (OHSA) can result in fines to the corporate employer.