Frank Safayeni is a Professor in the Department of Management Sciences, and a Principal Investigator of the Uncertainty Management Research Group at the University of Waterloo. He was previously the Associate Chair of Graduate Studies of the Management Sciences department.
He is actively engaged in a number of projects, including the modelling and simulation of organizational interactions, and study of knowledge creation and problem solving in organizational groups. Professor Safayeni's areas of research expertise encompass various subjects that concern organizational effectiveness. Additionally, he has published articles in well-known journals such as the Journal of Information Systems, Management of Technology and Operations Research.
As a result of his teaching accomplishments, Professor Safayeni received the Distinguished Teaching Award from the University of Waterloo.
- Behavioural & Organizational
- Aspects of Information Systems
- Management of Technology
- Socio-Technical Systems
- Organizational Design
- Modelling and simulation of organizational interactions
- Study of knowledge creation and problem solving in organizational groups
- 1979, Doctorate, Psychology, University of Victoria
- 1975, Master of Science, Psychology, University of Victoria
- 1972, Bachelor of Science (BS), Psychology, University of Idaho
- 1971, Bachelor of Science (BS), Electrical Engineering, University of Idaho
- MSCI 211 - Organizational Behaviour
- Taught in 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021
- MSCI 605 - Organizational Behaviour
- Taught in 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023
* Only courses taught in the past 5 years are displayed.
- Poile, Christopher and Safayeni, Frank, Using Computational Modeling for Building Theory: A Double Edged Sword, Journal of Artificial Societies and Social Simulation, 19(3), 2016
- McKay, KN and Buzacott, JA and Safayeni, FR, THE SCHEDULER'S INFORMATION SYSTEM: WHAT IS GOING ON? INSIGHTS FOR, Information Control Problems in Manufacturing Technology 1989: Selected papers from the 6th IFAC/IFIP/IFORS/IMACS Symposium, Madrid, Spain, 26-29 September 1989, 13, 2014
- Alojairi, A and Safayeni, F., "The dynamics of inter-node coordination in social networks: A theoretical perspective and empirical evidence." International Journal of Project Management, 30 (1), 2012, 15-26
- Tajeddin, G., Safayeni, F., Connelly, C.E., and Tasa, K., "The Influence of Emergent Expertise on Group Decision Processes," Small Group Research, 43 (1), 2012, 50-74
- Tajeddin, Golnaz and Safayeni, Frank and Connelly, Catherine E and Tasa, Kevin, The influence of emergent expertise on group decision processes, Small group research, 2011
- Safayeni, F., Duimering, P.R., Zheng, K., Derbentseva, N., Poile, C., and Ran, B., Requirements Engineering in New Product Development: How Effective are the Socio-Technical Interactions?, Communications of the ACM, 51(3), 2008, 77 - 82
- Duimering, P.R.,
Safayeni, F., The Role of Language and Formal Structure in the Construction and Maintenance of Organizational Images, International Studies of Management & Organization (Special Issue on Corporate Image and Identity Management), 28(3), 1998, 57 - 85
- Currently considering applications from graduate students. A completed online application is required for admission; start the application process now.