Step 4 - Choose your communication course
Communication skills are essential to academic, professional, and personal success and the Faculty of Mathematics places a particular emphasis on their development. All students in the Faculty of Mathematics are required to complete two communication courses to be able to graduate with a BMath or BCS degree.
All students take a communications course in their first term of study (except for double degree and Math/CPA students who will take it in their second term of study and CFM students who take it in a later year).
All communications courses will be offered online only in Fall 2020.
During the course selection period, all math students (except CPA and CFM students) will complete diagnostic questions to help determine what communication course might be a good fit for them. The diagnostic questions are within the course selection website. You will be making a choice of two communication courses. We will place you into one of these courses for the fall 2020 term. You will select your second course during your 1B course selection period at the end of September.
- Students in Computing and Financial Management (CFM) must take two of: ENGL 109, ENGL 119, EMLS/ENGL 129R, or SPCOM 223 with a grade of at least 65 before enrolling in 4A.
- Students in Math/Chartered Professional Accountancy (CPA) must take SPCOM 111 and AFM 212.
- Students who choose to major in any plans in the Actuarial Science or Statistics departments must take one course chosen from List 1 (below), and ENGL 378/MTHEL 300. Students are expected to enrol in one of the courses in List 1 in their first term of study in the Faculty of Mathematics. A grade of at least 60% in a List 1 course is a prerequisite for enrolling in term 2A, and a grade of at least 70% is a prerequisite for ENGL 378/MTHEL 300. ENGL 378/MTHEL 300 is expected to be completed before enrolling in term 4A.
- Students in the BBA/BCS double degree plan or the BBA/BMath double degree plan must take one course chosen from List 1 (below), and BUS 362W. BUS 362W is expected to be completed before enrolling in term 4A. Students must complete a course from List 1 with a grade of at least 60% prior to enrolling in term 2A.
- Students in all other plans must take one course chosen from List 1, and one course chosen from List 2. Students must enrol in one of the courses in List 1 in their first term of study in the Faculty of Mathematics, and must complete a course from List 1 with a grade of at least 60% prior to enrolling in term 2A.
List 1: First Course
The first course must be chosen from one of the following:
- EMLS 101R Oral Communications for Academic Purposes
- EMLS 102R Clear Communication in English Writing
- EMLS 129R/ENGL 129R Written Academic English
- ENGL 109 Introduction to Academic Writing
- SPCOM 100 Interpersonal Communication
- SPCOM 223 Public Speaking
The first communication course should be taken on campus and must be completed with a grade of at least 60% prior to enrolling in a 2A term.
List 2: Second Course
A List 2 course is not taken until you have successfully completed a List 1 course with a 60%+.
The second course must be chosen from one of the following:
- Any additional course from List 1
- EMLS 103R Effective English Pronunciation
- EMLS 104R Reading and Listening for Academic Purposes
- ENGL 108B Global English Literatures
- ENGL 108D Digital Lives
- EMLS 110R Communicating in Canadian Academic Contexts
- ENGL 119 Communications in Mathematics & Computer Science
- ENGL 208B Science Fiction
- ENGL 209 Advanced Academic Writing
- ENGL 210E Genres of Technical Communication
- ENGL 210F Genres of Business Communication
- ENGL 378/MTHEL 300 Professional Communications in Statistics and Actuarial Science
- SPCOM 225 Interviewing
- SPCOM 227 Leadership
- SPCOM 228 Public Communication