Where can I get support?

There are many supports on campus to help you with your transition to university and understanding academic life as a Math student at Waterloo. We strongly encourage you to ask questions if you are unsure of something because we are here to help! We have curated this non-exhaustive list and structured it by faculty-level supports, university-level supports and supports managed by our student population. 

Faculty-level supports

Math Undergraduate Office

The Math Undergraduate Office, also affectionately known as the MUO, is located in Mathematics & Computing Building (MC) room 4022. We can help you with any general questions including course selection/enrolment issues. We're the best people to come and see if you don't know where to go for help! 

We can be contacted during our office hours by email. Please be sure to identify yourself by using your Waterloo email account and including your name and eight-digit student number in all email correspondence. 

Office hours: 

  • Monday - Friday: 10 am - 12 pm; 1 pm - 4 pm 

  • Closed on university holidays 

First-year/undeclared/Math Studies advisors

We have a team of advisors that are specifically for first-year students, students who have not yet declared a major and Mathematical Studies students. Some of the advisors are full-time staff members and advising is their full-time job while other advisors are also lecturers. Students are not personally assigned an advisor like you may have been assigned a guidance counsellor in high school. The advising team have advising hours scheduled weekly.  

Academic advisors for academic plans

Students in direct admission plans (Double degree programs with Laurier, Computer Science, Computing and Financial Management, Math/CPA, Math/Business Administration and Math/FARM) and plans that are declared in second-year and above have their own academic advisors. For first-year students in these programs, we encourage you to speak to your program academic advisor. You can still see a first-year academic advisor for general questions but keep in mind that your program advisors are experts in their program area while the first-year advisors know a lot of things about many different areas; you may be referred back to your program academic advisor because of the nature of your question. 

Math Co-op advisors

For questions related to your co-op sequence, see Co-op Program page. If you have more questions, you can contact a Math Co-op Advisor. Please note that a Math co-op advisor is different from an academic advisor because they advise on matters related to the academic aspects of your co-op program (co-op sequences, etc.) 

Your instructors and teaching assistants

Your professors/instructors and teaching assistants are a great resource to ask questions about course material or mathematics in general. We've found that strong interaction with our teaching staff (attending AND participating in class by asking questions and going to office hours hosted by your instructors) can result in better understanding of course material and stronger academic performance. Your instructors can also answer questions about the subject area in Mathematics and other general academic questions. 

University-level supports

The Centre

Located in Needles Hall, The Centre is a go-to place for a number of student administrative needs. Students can order documents (official transcript, proof of enrollment letter etc.), drop off forms, change their personal information, receive financial aid advice and get answers to a wide range of miscellaneous questions. 

AccessAbility Services

AccessAbility Services is the University’s centralised office for the management of academic accommodations for all students with a known or unknown disability, illness, or condition. AccessAbility Services design and facilitate your academic accommodation plan by removing barriers and building your capacity for personal success. You can apply for academic accommodations once you have received your offer of admission, and you're a registered student with the University, or, as soon as you become aware of (or suspect) a disability. 

Campus Wellness (Health Services and Counselling Services)


Residence is more than just a place to sleep; it will increase your chances of academic success by giving you access to all the best resources the campus has to offer, while also introducing you to friends and lots of fun experiences. There are many friendly staff to support you including peer leaders, residence dons and residence life co-ordinators (RLCs). 

Centre for Career Development

The Centre for Career Development is for all students (regular and co-op) alumni and employees and provides services such as workshops, one-on-one meetings and online services to help people develop and take action to achieve current and future career goals.

Student Success Office

Writing and Communication Centre

The Writing and Communication Centre is a hub of communication and writing practice, support, and research on campus. Communication is part of all academic and professional activities, and the centre offers a welcoming space to discuss, explore, plan, and implement feedback and strategies. 

Supports managed by our student population


MathSoc is the student government for students in the Faculty of Mathematics. They provide sales that range from novelties (e.g. T-shirts and ties) to stationery (e.g. pencils, and faculty-approved calculators). They provide services such as renting out a variety of board games, textbooks, lockers and electronic accessories. They also host events all year long, including Thursday Board Game nights, Pie Day giveaways, resume critiques, and Party with Profs. 

WUSA (Waterloo Undergraduate Student Association)

WUSA is the undergraduate student union at the University of Waterloo. Every Waterloo undergrad is a member of WUSA. It is run by students and driven by students. You and your peers are represented by a number of elected student positions on Students' CouncilBoard of Directors, and Executive. Any Waterloo undergrad can run for a position on the Exec, Board, or Students' Council. 

WUSA was formed over 50 years ago in response to undergraduate concerns that were going unheard. They represent your voice on issues like tuition, mental health, housing, campus safety and transit, and provide services on campus. 


MATES (Mentor Assistance Through Education and Support) is a one-to-one student peer support program offered by WUSA in consultation with Campus Wellness. MATES provides support to students who are hoping to build social skills or are experiencing personal or academic concerns or low-level mental health and wellness difficulties. MATES volunteers are also well-trained and knowledgeable about various resources on and off-campus and can assist students through the navigation of those resources. 

The Glow Centre for Sexual and Gender Diversity

Glow is the oldest continually-running university-based  LGBTQ group in Canada. Run entirely by dedicated student volunteers, it offers a wide variety of discussion groups, social events, advocacy opportunities, awareness campaigns, resources, and information.  


Clubs are a great way to connect with peers and expand your personal interests. Discover the many club opportunities available to you. A balanced school life includes doing things for fun, relaxation and self-care; maybe there is a club for you and if there isn't, you can create it!