University COVID-19 update

The University of Waterloo is constantly updating our most Frequently Asked Questions.

Questions about buildings and services? Visit the list of Modified Services.

Please note: The University of Waterloo is closed for all events until further notice.

Co-operative education

Co-op homepage header

You can find answers to some of the common questions asked by Math students concerning the co-operative education program here. If you have any additional questions or concerns, feel free to reach out to your Math co-op advisors here at the Math Undergraduate Office as we are always happy to help!

Frequently asked questions

How has co-op been affected by COVID-19?

Co-operative Education continues to support students as the pandemic evolves with regular updates available on Co-operative Education's central website.

I am a regular student. How can I switch into co-op?

If you are in your 1B term (having a minimum of four units and no more than six units) you mayapply to switch to the co-op program. Students admitted to the Faculty of Mathematics with a substantial number of transfer credits may not be able to switch into co-op because they are too far advanced in their plan.

Information sessions to apply to co-op are held at the beginning of the third month of each term (March, July, November). Application forms are available online and are due on or before the last day of classes.

I want to quit co-op. How do I do that?

If you are thinking of leaving the co-op program, then (providing you are in a plan that allows both co-op and regular systems of study) you can switch to regular by submitting a Plan Modification Form. Contact a co-op advisor with your request, as well as your rationale for wishing to leave co-op. Depending on your circumstances, you may need to speak to the Associate Dean, Co-operative Education for final approval.

Can I take courses during my co-op work term?

Outside of Professional Development (PD) courses, you may take up to one course during a work term without permission. In order to take two courses, you must first obtain permission from your employer and then forward that written permission to the Registrar's Office. Make sure you send it from your Waterloo email account and include your student ID number.

How do I change my co-op sequence?

You may need to change sequences if certain required courses are only available in certain terms or if your employer requests an extended co-op term, or for some other extenuating circumstances.

Special considerations are in place for sequence changes during terms affected by COVID-19. Please contact the Math co-op advisors for assistance.

Not finding employment is not a valid reason for a sequence change.

Step 1: To change your sequence, complete a sequence change form.

Step 2: Contact your academic advisor for signature approval*.

Step 3: Forward the completed and signed form to the Math co-op advisors for final approval.

*If you are a Computer Science or an undeclared major, then you do not need your advisor to sign the sequence form.

What are the sequence change deadlines?

Sequence changes are not intended to facilitate additional opportunities to participate in the co-operative education’s facilitated interview process.
Should you request a sequence change during term X when you have a work term scheduled during term X+1 then, assuming your request is to change term X+1, you will be restricted from using WaterlooWorks during your next job search.

Specifically, suppose during term X we are at academic week N. Performing a sequence change at this point would restrict access to WaterlooWorks for the first N academic weeks during your next job search.

Note: students need to inform a math co-op advisor to have the restriction lifted when the time comes.
If you have a sufficient number of remaining work terms then you could possibly elect to forfeit your upcoming work term (i.e. term X+1) and convert it to a school term. This would incur no restrictions on WaterlooWorks access, though you would be down one work term. This may or may not be possible depending on your program and your past work history. Consult with a Math co-op advisor for further clarification.