Internal transfer refers to the process by which a student registered in one faculty would apply to transfer into a different faculty. If you are currently an undergraduate student at the University of Waterloo and wish to apply for admission into the Faculty of Mathematics, you will be applying for an internal transfer.
Unsure if internal transfer applies to you?:
Please review this flow chart to determine how you should proceed or read through the outline found here.
For a list of Faculty of Mathematics academic advisors by program/plan please go to this website.
Things to consider:
- Entry into a Computer Science (CS) program/plan requires a further application process exclusive to CS. Applicants who are interested in admission into CS should speak to a CS advisor as well as an internal transfer advisor for the Faculty of Mathematics. There are deadlines for submitting both Math internal transfer and CS applications.
- Students may not come into the Math Faculty on a work term, the first term in Math must be a study term.
- Students wishing to be considered for admission directly into a program/plan of their choice should indicate this on their application.
- The internal transfer process is competitive and subject to availability/space. There is no guarantee that students will be eligible for either co-op or their requested program/plan.
- All applicants who are not accepted into their program/plan of choice will, by default, be considered for admission into Honours Mathematics. Successful applicants typically spend at least one term in Honours Math before declaring a program/plan of their choice.
- Students who are or will be starting in 1A must spend at least one term in their home Faculty before being eligible to apply for internal transfer into Math. High school grades are not considered during internal transfer.
The Faculty of Mathematics will consider internal transfer applications for students who meet the following criteria:
- Two or fewer failed courses
- A minimum overall average (CAV) of 75%
- Strong grades in at least three honours-equivalent math courses from Waterloo
Who would not be eligible for admission consideration?:
- Students who have not completed at least one full-time term at Waterloo
- Students currently enrolled in the BASE program
- Students enrolled in the 2 + 2 plan
- External transfer or readmitted students who have not completed at least one full-time term at Waterloo
What should I do since I do not meet the minimum requirements?:
More than two failures?
- Unfortunately, students with more than two fails would not be considered for internal transfer. Such students may wish to speak to their current academic advisor about their options.
Cumulative average below 75%?
- If a student has strong grades in at least three math courses, but their CAV is less than 75%, then they will need to improve their CAV before applying for internal transfer.
- We advise against taking some courses, such as MATH 103, MATH 104, MATH 109, CS 100, STAT 202, STAT 211, and STAT 220, as they will not help you toward a transfer into Math.
Fewer than three strong math grades?
- Consider taking one or more of the MATH/CS courses that are open to non-math students across the university: MATH 106, MATH 127, MATH 128, CS 115, and CS 116.
- Consider taking math courses available in a plan already open to you. (For example, a student in the Mathematical Physics plan in Science can take MATH 136, MATH 137, and MATH 138; in Engineering, courses like MATH 116, MATH 117, MATH 118, MATH 119, and SYDE 111 can be taken.)
- Consider taking one or more honours math courses with permission from a Math internal transfer advisor as well as an academic advisor from your current Faculty.
What are the requirements to enrol in honours Math courses?:
- Permission from your home Faculty (see your current academic advisor).
- No fails in math courses and no more than two fails in non-math courses.
- A minimum CAV of 75%
- If a 1A student wishes to enrol in Honours Math courses in their 1A term, they should get in touch with Michelle Smith.
- A student interested in internal transfer into Math must communicate their intention with a Math internal transfer advisor before submitting their application. Students who are unable to come to campus may contact us by email.
- Internal Transfer applications are processed a term in advance. Applications for the Spring 2020 term will open mid-November 2019, and must be submitted by December 31, 2019. Students applying to CS should be aware that there is a different deadline for those applications as well.
- Internal Transfer applications can only be submitted online. Select the application titled ‘Transfer from outside of Math to Math’.
- Students may be enrolled in courses in the term prior to their intended start term with Math, however, in these cases, any offers of admission would be conditional upon a student maintaining the minimum requirements for transfer. Failure to maintain the minimum requirements would result in the offer of admission being revoked.
- Please note, enrolling in courses the term prior to your intended start term in Math carries risk. If an offer of admission into Math is revoked then there can be consequences to your status in your home faculty. Students should speak with the Math internal transfer advisor as well as their home faculty advisor about the potential risks.
- The internal transfer offers are normally communicated to students three to five weeks after the application deadline.
- Internal transfer offers are sent to students’ campus email accounts. Please monitor your account regularly and respond to offers of admission promptly.
- Successful applicants must formally accept the offer to officially change Faculties. Such students must also communicate with a Math internal transfer advisor to help with their course selection for their first term in Math.
Good luck with your transfer!
If you have questions, please contact an internal transfer advisor.
Internal transfer advising hours are updated weekly
Michelle (MC 4032):
Wednesday: 10:00 am - 11:00 am CANCELLED
Friday: 10:00 am - 12:00 pm
Mukto (MC 4019A):
Tuesday: 10:00 am - 12:00 pm and 1:30 pm - 3:30 pm
Wednesday: 2:00 pm - 3:00 pm
Thursday: 10:00 am - 12:00 pm and 1:30 pm - 3:30 pm CANCELLED