Apply to one or more of nine entry programs in the Faculty of Mathematics.
Apply through the Ontario Universities Application Centre (OUAC)
You'll apply to the University of Waterloo through the OUAC website. The Centre sends your information to the University of Waterloo. The Faculty of Mathematics will send you an email* acknowledging receipt of your application, usually within three weeks of receiving your application.
* It is important that we have your current email address. Provide your email address when you apply. After you have applied, you may confirm or change your email address on Quest. To ensure that email we send you isn't spam filtered, please add us to your address book.
After you have applied
- You will be asked to complete an Admission Information Form (AIF). A completed AIF is required for admission to the Math CA, Mathematics-Business Double Degree, and Financial Analysis and Risk Management (FARM) programs, and strongly recommended for all others.
- Arrange to have your grades and, in some cases, course descriptions sent to us.
- After you've applied, stay informed about important dates and deadlines and what comes next in the admissions process.
English language test scores
You are required to provide an English proficiency test score if:
- your first language is not English, and
- your four most recent years of full-time education have not been in an English-language school system.
Write the Euclid Mathematics Contest, participate in the Canadian Computing Competition
Though the Euclid Mathematics Contest and the Canadian Computing Competition are not required for admission, we strongly encourage you to participate in them. The Euclid Mathematics Contest results will be used in combination with other admissions information for scholarship decisions.
Professor Ian VanderBurgh shared his slides from the Euclid Mathematics Contest preparation session (PDF) at March Open House on March 1, 2014.
Repeated courses and courses taken outside day school
If you repeat a required course or take a course outside of your regular day school, you may jeopardize your admissibility to the Faculty of Mathematics. Take all your courses in regular day school and do well in your first attempt.
Residence in first-year is guaranteed: Consider your choices
First-year students are guaranteed residence in UWaterloo residences (Columbia Lake Village-South, Mackenzie King, Ron Eydt Village, UW Place, and Village 1), Renison, St. Jerome’s, and St. Paul’s.
Come for a visit
See campus for yourself. Take a student-guided tour, meet with a program advisor, check out the facilities, and talk with current students.
Offers of admission
Though many offers will be made between February and May, all of our offers will be made by about the middle of May.
In the Faculty of Mathematics, we consider applicants individually. We need time to read and score your AIF, to tabulate your admission average using your marks in the required grade 12 courses, then to tabulate your admission score (a combination of your average plus your AIF score), and, in some cases, to consult your Euclid Mathematics Contest results. As a result, we make few early offers of admission.
For more information about offers of admission, alternate offers of admission, and deferring your offer of admission, visit the offer of admission on the Find Out More website.
After your offer of admission
Read the next steps for admitted students about how to accept your offer of admission, selecting your classes, paying your tuition fees, getting your WatCard, Student Life 101, checking into residence, Orientation Week, the first day of classes, etc.