Set yourself apart in a competitive marketplace.
By gaining both computer science and finance skills, you’ll be a valuable asset to any technology-dependent organization — especially in the ever-evolving financial services sector.
Study in 2 of Waterloo’s powerhouse institutions. In the School of Accounting and Finance, you’ll learn sophisticated concepts of modern financial management. In the David R. Cheriton School of Computer Science, you’ll acquire the skills to develop and maintain financial software.
By the time you graduate, you'll be armed with the know-how, the networks, and the experience to land a career in computer science or finance — or both.
Build an awesome résumé
Because you’ll be alternating between classroom learning and co-op work terms, you’ll gain 2 full years of practical work experience over the course of your degree.
Add more credentials
Aiming to work in in the investment industry? A CFM degree accelerates your path to a Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) designation.
About the computing and financial management program
Gain 2 years of professional experience with co-op
Apply directly to this program on your application
Earn a Bachelor of Computing and Financial Management
of students receive at least 1 entrance scholarship
$50,000 to $120,000 in potential co-op earnings
Your direct route to a CFA designation
Computing and financial management admission requirements
- Ontario students: 6 Grade 12 U and/or M courses including
- Any Grade 12 U English (minimum final grade of 75% is required)
- Advanced Functions
- Calculus and Vectors
- One other Grade 12 U course
- Recommended: Introduction to Computer Science, Principles of Financial Accounting
- Admission averages: Individual selection from the low 90s
- An Admission Information Form is necessary
- Not studying in Ontario? Search our admission requirements
To be considered for entrance scholarships in the Faculty of Mathematics, you must write one or both of the contests. If you complete both contests, we'll use the results of the contest in which you performed best.
First-year computing and financial management courses
You may also select the advanced-stream courses for algebra, calculus, and computer science if you the requirements.
September to December
MATH 135 - Algebra for Honours Mathematics
MATH 137 - Calculus 1 for Honours Mathematics
CS 135 - Designing Functional Programs
AFM 101 - Introduction to Financial Accounting
AFM 131 - Introduction to Business in North America
January to April
MATH 136 - Linear Algebra 1 for Honours Mathematics
MATH 138 - Calculus 2 For Honours Mathematics
CS 136 - Elementary Algorithm Design and Data Abstraction
AFM 102 - Introduction to Managerial Accounting
AFM 121 - Introduction to Global Financial Markets
What other courses will you take?
Most of your required courses will be in Computer Science and Accounting and Financial Management, along with foundational courses in Mathematics. With your remaining classes, you can choose electives from many of the 100 subject areas at Waterloo.
View a full list of courses required for your degree.
Sample upper-year computing and financial management courses
Customize your Bachelor of Computing and Financial Management degree
You can also add additional areas of interest and expertise by including a minor (or minors) as part of your degree.
Gain relevant work experience through co-op
By alternating school terms and paid co-op work terms throughout your degree, you can explore new career areas and types of employers as your career interests evolve.
Sample co-op job titles
- Software Engineer
- Quantitative Software Developer
- Business Technology Analyst
- Electronic Trading Analyst
- Trading Assistant/Strategist
- Financial Analyst
- Investment Banking Analyst
Sample co-op employers
- ING Group
- CIBC World Markets
- Goldman Sachs
Careers in computing and financial management
- Developer, Canadian Pension Plan Investment Board
- Associate Technology Analyst, Morgan Stanley
- Technology Solutions Associate, TD
- Product Associate, Algorithmic Trading, Fidelity Investments
- Market Risk Analyst, CIBC
- Software Development Engineer, Amazon
- Financial Advisory Consultant, Deloitte
Possible professional designation
- Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA)
Learn more about Computing and Financial Management
- Email Heather Steinmetz, our recruitment co-ordinator, if you have any questions about Computing and Financial Management
- Visit the Computing and Financial Management website
- Related programs: Accounting and Financial Management, Biotechnology/Chartered Professional Accountancy, Mathematics/Chartered Professional Accountancy