Add up the advantages: 2 areas of expertise, 1 serious career edge.
Acquire the expertise to analyze financial information and take a leadership role in any business. This rigorous program covers accounting, finance, business analytics, and investment management, and more.
We offer a rich learning environment where you can develop professional competencies both inside and outside the classroom. Extend your learning through co-op work terms, extracurricular activities, and a host of other experiential opportunities.
By the time you graduate, you'll be advancing your career, not just launching it! A degree in Accounting and Financial Management sets you up for success. You’ll be able to analyze, interpret, and communicate the information that drives business decisions.
Our School of Accounting and Finance has received the highest level of national accreditation through CPA Canada, as well as accreditation through the CFA Institute University Affiliation Program.
Pro qualifications — faster
If you want to enhance your credentials even further with a Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA), Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA), or Chartered Business Valuator (CBV) designation, your degree gets you there faster.
About the Accounting and Financial Management program
Gain 16 months of professional experience with co-op
Apply directly to this program on your application
Earn a Bachelor of Accounting and Financial Management
of students receive at least 1 entrance scholarship
$34,000 to $81,000 in potential co-op earnings
Your direct route to a CPA, CFA, and/or CBV
Accounting and Financial Management admission requirements
- Ontario students: 6 Grade 12 U and/or M courses including
- English (ENG4U) (minimum final grade of 75% is required)
- Advanced Functions (minimum final grade of 75% is required)
- Calculus and Vectors (minimum final grade of 75% is required)
- Recommended courses: Principles of Financial Accounting, Mathematics of Data Management
- Admission average: Individual selection from the mid-80s
- All applicants to the AFM program are required to complete the AFM Admissions Assessment (AFMAA) and an Admission Information Form.
- Not studying in Ontario? Search our admission requirements database.
First-year courses in Accounting and Financial Management
September to December
January to April
AFM 102 - Introduction to Managerial Accounting
AFM 113 - Analytic Methods for Business 2
AFM 121 - Introduction to Global Financial Markets
BET 100 - Foundation for Entrepreneurial Practice
SPCOM 111 - Leadership, Communication and Collaboration
After first year
View a full list of courses required for your degree.
Sample upper-year Accounting and Financial Management courses
AFM 332 – Accounting, Assurance, and the Law
AFM 373 – Cases and Applications in Corporate Finance
AFM 412 – Connections Across Competencies for Finance Professionals
AFM 422 – Management of Financial Institutions
Customize your Accounting and Finance Management degree
You can also add additional areas of interest and expertise by including a minor (or minors) as part of your degree.
Gain relevant work experience through co-op
By alternating school terms and paid co-op work terms, you can explore new career areas and employers as your interests evolve.
Sample co-op job titles
- Fixed Income Analyst
- Auditor Trainee
- Finance Officer Trainee
- Junior Financial Analyst
- Business Analyst
- IT Finance Assistant
- Staff Accountant/Analyst – Tax
- Accounting Assistant
Sample co-op employers
- BMO Capital Markets
- Ontario Ministry of Finance
- Canada Revenue Agency
- Magna International
- Manulife Financial
- Nestle Purina Petcare
- Deloitte LLP
Careers in accounting and financial management
If you complete both the AFM and the 8-month Master of Accounting (MAcc) programs, you don’t need to take the 2-year CPA Professional Education Program. Instead, you can proceed directly to the CPA Final Exam (CFE) as soon as you graduate.
- Senior Manager – Finance, Scotiabank
- Tour Financial Liaison, Live Nation Global Touring
- Senior Staff Accountant, KPMG LLP
- Senior Financial Analyst, Barrick Gold Corporation
- Business Manager, Rogers Communications
- Tax Analyst, Intuit
- Accounting Staff, Deloitte & Touche LLP
- Accountant, BDO Canada LLP
- Chartered Accountant, TD Bank Group
- Catastrophe Risk Analyst, Validus RE