Really understand the numbers.
In this one-of-a-kind program, you’ll cover all the fundamentals of a standard accounting program — plus you’ll take a deep dive into mathematics.
It’s the perfect foundation for a career as a chartered accountant or a management accountant. You’ll learn from world-recognized professors in the only professionally accredited Chartered Professional Accountancy program in Ontario that leads to a BMath degree.
Then, you’ll put your knowledge to work during 4 co-op work terms, gaining valuable real-world experience that can be counted toward your CPA designation.
You’ll graduate with a unique Mathematics (BMath) degree and ready for a high-impact career as a CPA.
Fast track your career
Once you graduate, spend just 8 months taking the Master of Accountancy (MAcc) degree and you’ll be ready to write the Common Final Examination.
Meet friends for life
Planning to live in residence? Choose the Accounting and Finance Living-Learning Community and build lasting friendships, participate in residence events, get support from upper-year students, and more.
About Math/CPA at Waterloo
Gain experience through the co-op program
Apply directly to this program on your application
Earn a Bachelor of Mathematics
1st Faculty of Mathematics in North America
Offered by the Faculty of Mathematics
Waterloo is an international leader in mathematics
- Ontario students: 6 Grade 12 U and/or M courses including
- Advanced Functions
- Calculus and Vectors
- Any Grade 12 U English
- One other 4U course
- Recommended courses: Grade 11 U Introduction to Computer Science, Grade 12 M Principles of Financial Accounting
- Admission averages: Individual selection from the high 80s
- An Admission Information Form is required for admission.
- Not studying in Ontario? Search our admission requirements database
- Visa students are now eligible for admission to this program.
To be considered for entrance scholarships in the Faculty of Mathematics, you must write one or both of the contests. If you complete both contests, we'll use the results of the contest in which you performed best.
You may also select the advanced courses for algebra, calculus, and computer science if you meet the requirements.
September to December
MATH 135 - Algebra
MATH 137 - Calculus 1
AFM 101 - Introduction to Financial Accounting
AFM 131 - Introduction to Business in North America
Choose one of:
• CS 115 - Introduction to Computer Science
• CS 135 - Designing Functional Programs
January to April
MATH 136 - Linear Algebra 1
MATH 138 - Calculus 2
AFM 102 - Introduction to Managerial Accounting
SPCOM 111 - Leadership Communication
ECON 100 - Principles of Economics
Choose one of:
• CS 116 - Introduction to Computer Science 2
• CS 136 - Elementary Algorithm Design and Data Abstraction
After first year
You'll take a variety of courses in statistics, finance, business, and accounting.
View a full list of courses required for your degree.
Customize your degree
Sample upper-year courses
Gain relevant work experience through co-op
By alternating school terms and four paid co-op work terms throughout your degree, you can explore new career areas and types of employers as your career interests evolve.
Sample co-op job titles
- Student in Accounts
- Tax Co-op Associate
- Junior Student in Accounts
- Senior Student in Accounts
- Business Analyst
Sample co-op employers
- Ernst & Young LLP
- PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP
- BDO Dunwoody LLP
- Klasner & Solomon Chartered Accountants LLP
- TD Bank Financial Group
- Business Analyst, Johnson Insurance Limited
- Accountant, PricewaterhouseCoopers
- Senior Manager, Collins Barrow Toronto LLP
- Associate, Boston Consulting Group
- Consultant, Oliver, Wyman
- IT Business Analyst, TD Bank Group
- External Auditor, KPMG
- Senior Financial Analyst, Superior Energy
- Senior Auditor, Manulife Financial Corporation
- Staff Accountant, BDO Dunwoody LLP
Possible professional designations
Learn more about Mathematics/Chartered Professional Accountancy
- Visit the Mathematics/Chartered Professional Accountancy website
- Email our Mathematics recruitment co-ordinator, who can answer any questions about Mathematics/Chartered Professional Accountancy