With more than 30,000 students from 120 countries at Waterloo, you'll meet students, professors, and researchers from across Canada and around the globe. What draws students is
- our reputation as one of Canada's leading universities,
- the largest co-op (paid internship) program in North America, and
- career success: Waterloo is ranked 25 in the world for graduate employability (QS Graduate Employability Rankings 2019)
Explore our 100+ programs.
How to apply for admission.
Are your English scores below our requirements? Learn about our English pathway programs.
Waterloo and your country
Learn about the connections between Waterloo and some of the most common countries that our students call home. You can also see if we're visiting a city near you.
Where is Waterloo?
Distances to nearby cities
- 118 km (73 miles) to Toronto
- 150 km (110 miles) to Niagara Falls
- 290 km (180 miles) to Detroit
- 640 km (400 miles) to Montreal
Flights from Toronto to
- Boston or New York City: 90 minutes
- Chicago: under 2 hours
- Vancouver or San Francisco: 5 hours
Whether it's becoming a New York Times best-selling poet or launching the next big app, our graduates are having an incredible impact in Canada and beyond.
A city for students
Home to two universities and a college, the city of Waterloo caters to the 50,000 students who call the area home. Enjoy shops, restaurants, and festivals throughout the year.
Connect with friends from home
It's great to meet new friends, but sometimes it's nice to connect with students from home. Among our 200+ clubs are cultural clubs such as Association of Caribbean Students, Culture and Language Exchange Club, and more Indian Cultural Association.
Everything you need
Need to visit a physician, dentist, counsellor, or physiotherapist? All these services are available on campus and are covered through the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) and our supplemental health and dental plan.