How to apply as a transfer student
If you plan to take 3 or more on-campus (classroom) courses per term, you will apply through the Ontario Universities' Application Centre (OUAC).
- Review our admission requirements and transfer credit information.
- Apply using the OUAC 105 application.
- Be sure to apply by the application deadline for the term/program you wish to be admitted to.
Once we receive your application information from the OUAC, we’ll send you details about next steps in the admissions process, such as how to send us your transcripts and course descriptions (if applicable).
If you plan to take 1 or 2 courses per term, you'll about our application process and programs and available on a part-time basis.
Transfer credits, if applicable, will be assessed after you've been admitted to Waterloo. Information about transfer credits is listed program-by-program in our admission requirements.
Have you previously attended Waterloo?
- Do not use an OUAC application. You should complete the Application for Undergraduate Re-Admission form (PDF). Please email email@example.com if you are unable to access this form.
Applying to co-op programs
- If you're interested in a co-op program, you must check the co-op box on the OUAC application.
- If you apply to a co-op program that is also offered as a regular program and you're not admitted to co-op, you'll automatically be considered for the regular program if spaces are available.
Applying to Engineering programs
- You may apply to Architecture and/or only one other Engineering program, including Software Engineering.
- You can indicate your other Engineering choices on the Admission Information Form (AIF). You'll receive instructions for completing your AIF after you've applied to Waterloo.
- Engineering programs traditionally do not grant transfer credits.
Applying to Computer Science programs, including Computing and Financial Management
Competition for admission to Computer Science, Business Administration (Laurier) and Computer Science (Waterloo) Double Degree, and Computing and Financial Management is extremely competitive with very few spaces (if any) available for transfer students. Students interested in these programs should have outstanding grades, especially in computer science and math, and should be studying in a related program. Admissions assessments are done on a case-by-case basis.
College and university students must arrange to have all official documents, including transcripts and English language test results, sent directly to our Registrar's Office by the issuing institution or testing authority.
- Have your high school send us an official transcript of your grades as soon as possible and no later than early April.
- Have each college or university you've attended to send us an official transcript of your completed and current courses as soon as the transcript is available and no later than early April.
- You can upload your high school and your college and/or university transcripts.
- Arrange to have your college and/or university send us an official final transcript by the deadline listed on your Offer of Admission.
Submitting course descriptions
To be considered for transfer credit, you'll need to submit detailed course descriptions/syllabi for all courses you've completed or are in the process of completing.
Brief calendar descriptions are not sufficient for transfer credit assessment. Please contact us (see below) if detailed course descriptions/syllabi are not available from your institution.
Calendar descriptions are not required if you're applying to Engineering or Software Engineering.
Instructions for course descriptions
Send us a copy of the course outline/syllabus for each course you have taken or are taking. See an example of a course syllabus.
Send your course outlines/transcripts to
Office of the Registrar
University of Waterloo
200 University Ave W
Waterloo ON N2L 3G1 CANADA
Please include your full name, program(s) applied to, Waterloo ID number, and OUAC reference number in your correspondence. If you are emailing course descriptions, please send them in PDF format.