At Waterloo, you'll receive an admissions decision for each program you apply to. The date you may receive an offer of admission depends on the program you've applied to, your grade average, and any special entrance requirements.
Most offers of admission are made between December and May as we receive updated grades from schools. The Faculty of Engineering makes admission decisions in March and May only.
We want to consider all students fairly, so we may wait for completed forms and/or updated grades before making an admission decision.
When are offers sent?
Ontario high school students (if you applied using the 101 application)
- All of our offers of admission will be made prior to May 29, 2018, and you will have until June 1, 2018 to respond.
- If you know that Waterloo is the university you wish to attend, you're encouraged to accept your offer as soon as you receive it.
- Other universities may ask for a response before June 1st. If you've accepted an offer prior to June 1st – either from Waterloo or from another university – and you wish to change your mind, you may do so without penalty up to June 1st.
- No Ontario university may require a financial commitment from you before June 1st.
All other applicants (if you applied using the 105 application)
- Most of our offers of admission are made on a continuing basis as we receive grades.
- You'll have until June 1, 2018, to respond to an Offer of Admission dated up to May 29th.
- If you're admitted after May 29th, you'll have 14 calendar days to confirm your acceptance.
Accepting your offer(s) of admission
Instructions for accepting your offer of admission, bursary and/or scholarship, and residence are available on the next steps for admitted students website.
Alternate offers of admission
If you're not admitted to the program you applied to, you may be considered for admission to an alternate program if you meet the requirements and places are available.
If you applied to a co-op program, you'll automatically be considered for the regular version of the program, if one is available.
Accepting a different offer
If you've accepted an offer of admission and would like to accept a different one, you may do so without penalty up to June 1st.
- Visit the Ontario Universities' Application Centre (OUAC) website for Ontario high school students or for all other applicants.
- Click on "Review and Change Your Completed Application" and follow the instructions to accept a different offer.
- If the expiry date has passed, you may still be able to accept Waterloo's offer of admission. If clicking on "accept" does not work, you'll need to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 519-888-4567, ext. 33106, to see whether spaces in your program are available.
Deferring your admission
If you wish to take time before university to work, travel, or return to high school, you can request to defer your offer of admission for up to a year. Many programs consider a deferral for the fall term only.