All official documents, including transcripts and English language test results, must be sent directly to the University by the issuing institution or testing authority.
Grade 12 U or M courses
If you’re currently enrolled in an Ontario high school, no action is required – your school will send us your grades automatically.
If you’re not currently enrolled in an Ontario high school, use the OUAC 105 application and arrange for your school to send us your official transcript.
Night school, correspondence, or summer school courses
As soon as your mid-term and/or final grades are available, arrange for your home school to send them to the Ontario Universities' Application Centre.
All other students (OUAC 105 application)
You'll need to arrange for your transcripts and English language test scores (if applicable) to be sent to Waterloo's Office of the Registrar by the following deadlines.
- Accounting and Financial Management, Architecture, Engineering, Software Engineering, and Conditional Admission to Pharmacy (CAP): March 1st
- All other programs: April 6th
Tips for submitting documents
Students from Canadian provinces other than Ontario
Watch our video with tips for applying from outside of Ontario. Arrange for your high school to send us the following directly:
- an official transcript of your completed and current courses
- a transcript of your winter mid-term grades as soon as they’re available and no later than early April or you can upload your transcript for admission consideration in Quest.
- a transcript of your final grades as soon as they’re available and no later than August 1st
Alberta, British Columbia, Saskatchewan, Yukon, and NWT
If you’re currently attending high school, your provincial transcripts do not provide us with interim grades for courses you're currently taking. Please provide a transcript including first-term final grades and the courses in which you're enrolled (see below for details about sending transcripts).
All other Canadian provinces
Most provincial Ministry of Education transcripts do not include mid-term grades. Please have your high school send us an official transcript which includes your winter mid-term grades as soon as they’re available in order for your application to be reviewed for admission.
- No action is required for your CEGEP grades – your school will send them to us automatically.
- If you have applied to an Engineering program, please arrange to have your high school send official transcripts directly to the Office of the Registrar.
Students from outside Canada
- Arrange for us to receive official English-language copies of your academic documentation, including predicted and/or mid-term grades as soon as they are available and no later than early April.
- You can upload your academic documentation in Quest.
- Make arrangements for English language testing, if necessary, and send results by the deadline.
- If math is required for admission to your program of interest at Waterloo, you must submit your senior mathematics course descriptions for evaluation unless you're completing high school in one of the following systems or countries.
- American system
- Cambridge Pre-U
- Chinese system
- French Baccalaureate
- Indian system
Students from China
High school students from China
If you’re admitted to Waterloo, you’ll be required to submit your final Chinese Upper Middle School transcript and graduation diploma for verification by China Credentials Verification (CHESICC-Parchment Portal Service).
College and university students from China
If you’re admitted to Waterloo, you’ll be required to submit
- your final Chinese Upper Middle School transcript and graduation diploma
- your Chinese National University Entrance Examination (Gao Kao) results, and
- any post-secondary transcripts for verification by China Academic Degrees and Graduate Education Development Centre (CDGDC) or China Credentials Verification (CHESICC-Parchment Portal Service).
We reserve the right to withdraw your offer of admission if there is a discrepancy between the documents originally submitted and the official final results submitted to CDGDC or CHESICC for authentication and verification.
College/university transfer students
- Arrange for your high school or Ministry of Education to send us your official high school transcript.
- Arrange for each college or university you've attended to send us an official transcript of your completed and current courses as soon as the transcript is available.
- Submit detailed course syllabi for all courses you've completed or are in the process of completing to be considered for transfer credits.
If you have previously attended college or university, you are not considered a mature student for admission purposes. You will need to meet the regular admission requirements.
For admission purposes, the University of Waterloo’s definition of a mature student varies by program. In all cases, it is not defined by your age but by the level of your academic background and number of years since you last attended high school. All programs require that you have a minimum number of specific Ontario Grade 12 U and/or M courses (or equivalents) in addition to meeting their definition of a mature student.
Ownership of documents
All transcripts, degree certificates, test scores, and diplomas submitted to the University of Waterloo as part of the admissions process become the property of the University and cannot be returned.
Once you have received your Waterloo ID#, you'll be able to upload your unofficial school transcripts using Quest.
If you are a current Ontario high school student or a CEGEP student, your school will send us your grades automatically - you do not need to upload your high school transcript.
If you attend a high school outside of Ontario, have been out of high school for at least one year, or have attended a post-secondary college or university, you can upload your transcripts using Quest. We can use unofficial uploaded transcripts to assess your application.
Receive a conditional offer of admission?
Your official transcript with final grades must be submitted directly from your school or Ministry of Education to the Office of the Registrar.
- Your unofficial school transcripts must be saved as a PDF. The maximum file size is 1.5 MB. The transcript must be legible when the document is at 100% sizing.
- Keep the file name short and do not use brackets (), question marks (?), quotation marks ("), or any special characters (&, $, %) in the file name.
- Only one PDF transcript per institution can be uploaded. Additional school transcripts or new grade information can be emailed (email@example.com) or mailed.
Email your transcripts
- Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org with the transcript as a PDF attachment
- Use the subject line: New version of transcript
- Include your 8-digit Waterloo ID#
Did you upload an incorrect transcript or document?
If you uploaded an incorrect transcript (e.g., a certificate or diploma without grades instead of a transcript with grades), send a PDF of the document to email@example.com and include the following information.
Subject: Incorrect Document Upload
In the email:
Waterloo ID Number: [your 8-digit Waterloo ID#]
Document Incorrectly Uploaded: [e.g. transcript for school X]
Date of Upload: [e.g. February 26, 2018]
Official final transcripts
If you receive a conditional offer of admission, your official transcript with final grades must be submitted directly from your school to the Office of the Registrar as soon as it is available.
The transcript must be mailed directly from the school to Waterloo in order to meet your conditions. Uploaded documents will not be acceptable for meeting your offer conditions.
Office of the Registrar
University of Waterloo
200 University Ave W
Waterloo ON N2L 3G1 CANADA