Add areas of interest with minors and certificates

Interested in math and music? Biology and geography? Chemistry and Spanish? Many programs at Waterloo allow you to combine your interests and to make your degree uniquely you.

Including a minor (or minors) as part of your degree provides additional knowledge or skills. A minor is a group of 8-10 courses in a specific subject or topic which you would complete along with your major as part of the 40 or so courses for your degree.

How do I choose a minor?

As long as you meet the requirements, you can choose minors that complement your major – or choose minors that are very different.

Most minors and specializations start in second year and become part of your degree. For example, you can earn a Bachelor of Arts in Honours Anthropology with a minor in Political Science.

University terminology

What's a major? What's the difference between an option and a specialization? Check out our guide to university terminology.

Minors for all Waterloo students

The following minors are available to all undergraduate students regardless of which program you're studying. Programs with a high number of required courses (such as Engineering) usually do not have enough elective courses in order to include a minor, diploma, or certificate.

In addition, many Waterloo programs and faculties also have specializations specifically for students in those areas.

Certificates and diplomas

Courses you take to earn your degree can also often count toward a certificate or diploma that you can earn in addition to your degree. For example, you could graduate with a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science and a Diploma in Black Studies.


Prospective students

Contact the recruitment co-ordinator for your faculty/program of interest.

Once you're a Waterloo student, you'll have an advisor or advisors who can help you select courses, choose minors or other specializations, and ensure you're taking the courses you need to.

Current Waterloo students

You should contact your academic advisor to chat about pursuing a minor, option, or specialization.


Learn even more

Discover how to study multiple interests as part of your degree.