Spreadsheets + science = career success.
In the world of biotech, specialists who can understand both spreadsheets and gene sequencing are a hot commodity. Enroll in the only accountancy program in Canada that combines biotechnology, accounting, and paid co-op work terms.
You’ll learn about biology, biochemistry, and biotechnology in the Faculty of Science. At the same time, you’ll take accounting, auditing, financial management, and taxation courses in Waterloo’s top-ranked School of Accounting and Finance.
Outside the classroom, you’ll have all kinds of opportunities to get involved in competitions and student clubs. You’ll graduate ready to succeed in your choice of fields: accounting, biotech business development, financial analysis, and more.
Ontario students: six Grade 12U and/or M courses including
- English (ENG4U) (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Advanced Functions (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Calculus and Vectors (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Two of Biology, Chemistry, Earth and Space Science, Mathematics of Data Management, Physics (Recommended courses: Chemistry, Biology, Principles of Financial Accounting)
Admission averages: Low 90s
We recommend completing the Admission Information Form once you've applied.
Not studying in Ontario? Search our admission requirements.
First-year Biotechnology/CPA courses
September to December
January to April
After first year
About a third of the classes you’ll take will be Biology and the other two thirds will be Accounting and Financial Management courses. With your remaining classes, you can choose electives from many of the 100 subject areas.
View a list of all the courses required for your degree.
Sample upper-year courses
Graduate with 16 months of paid co-op experience
Apply directly to this program on your application
Earn a Bachelor of Science degree
Co-op = relevant paid work experience
By alternating school terms and paid co-op work terms throughout your degree, you can explore new career areas and types of employers as your career interests evolve.
Sample co-op job titles
- Staff accountant
- Financial analyst
- Supply chain analyst
- Tax consultant
- Assurance, external auditor
- Wealth management financial reporting analyst
- Transfer and administration assistant
Sample co-op employers
- The Hospital for Sick Children
- Ernst & Young LLP
- Magna International Inc.
- Bank of Montreal
- KPMG LLP Canada
Move directly into the Master of Accounting program after graduation
Offered by the Faculty of Science
Students earn $13,350 on average per co-op work term
What can I do with a degree in Biotechnology/CPA?
This program leads to the Master of Accounting program, which will qualify you to write the Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants exam required to become a Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA).
Possible career areas
- Audit and tax
- Research and development monitoring and assessment
- Pharmaceutical and medical technology
For more information on potential careers, check out our page on careers in business.
Get career-relevant skills
Our curriculum emphasizes case-based lectures and workshops, along with the communications and analytical skills you’ll need for roles in leadership and management.
Build an awesome résumé
Explore possible career areas and acquire valuable on-the-job experience during your co-op work terms (experience that you may be able to credit towards a CPA designation!).
Ready to learn more?
- Visit the Biotechnology/Chartered Professional Accountancy website
- Email our Science recruitment team, who can answer any questions about the program
- Subscribe to our newsletter to get tips and advice from current students
- Related programs