Spreadsheets + science = career success.
In the world of biotech, specialists who can understand both spreadsheets and gene sequencing are a hot commodity. Enroll in the only accountancy program in Canada that combines biotechnology and accounting, plus paid co-op work terms.
You’ll learn about biology, biochemistry, and biotechnology in the Faculty of Science. At the same time, you’ll take accounting, auditing, financial management, and taxation courses in Waterloo’s top-ranked School of Accounting and Finance.
Outside the classroom, you’ll have all kinds of opportunities to get involved in competitions and student clubs.
You’ll graduate ready to succeed in your choice of fields: accounting, bio-tech business development, financial analysis, and more.
Get career-relevant skills
Our curriculum emphasizes case-based lectures and workshops, along with the communications and analytical skills you’ll need for roles in leadership and management.
Build an awesome résumé
Explore possible career areas and acquire valuable on-the-job experience during your work terms (experience that you may be able to credit towards a CPA designation!).
About the Biotechnology/Chartered Professional Accountancy program
Graduate with 16 months of paid co-op experience
Apply directly to this program on your application
Earn a Bachelor of Science in Biotechnology/CPA
Offered by the
Faculty of Science
Biotechnology/Chartered Professional Accountancy admission requirements
Ontario students: 6 Grade 12 U and/or M courses including
- English (ENG4U) (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Advanced Functions (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Calculus and Vectors (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- 2 of: Biology, Chemistry, Earth and Space Science, Mathematics of Data Management, Physics (Recommended courses: Chemistry, Biology, Principles of Financial Accounting)
- Admission averages: Low 90s
- An Admission Information Form is recommended
- Only available to Canadian citizens or permanent residents.
- Not studying in Ontario? Search our admission requirements
Careers in Biotechnology/Chartered Professional Accountancy
This program leads to the Master of Accountancy program, which will qualify you to write the Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants exam required to become a Chartered Professional Accountant.
Possible professional designations
Possible career fields:
- Audit and tax
- Research and development monitoring and assessment
- Pharmaceutical and medical technology
First-year Biotechnology/CPA courses
September to December
AFM 101 - Introduction to Financial Accounting
BIOL 130 - Introductory Cell Biology
CHEM 120/120L - Physical and Chemical Properties of Matter/Laboratory
SCBUS 225 - Organizational Behaviour in Scientific Technical Workplaces
SCCOM 100 - Communication in the Sciences
January to April
AFM 102 - Introduction to Managerial Accounting
BIOL 239 - Genetics
CHEM 123/123L - Chemical Reactions, Equilibria and Kinetics/Laboratory
ECON 101 - Introduction to Microeconomics
SPCOM 111 - Leadership, Communication, and Collaboration
After first year
- About half of the classes you’ll take will be Biology and Chemistry courses, and the other half will be Accounting and Financial Management courses. With your remaining classes, you can choose electives from many of the 100 subject areas.
- View a list of all the courses required for your degree.
Sample upper-year Biotechnology/CPA courses
Gain relevant work experience through co-op
By alternating school terms and paid co-op work terms throughout your degree, you can explore new career areas and types of employers as your career interests evolve.
Sample co-op job titles
- Financial Analyst
- Supply Chain Analyst
- Staff Accountant
- Tax Consultant
Sample co-op employers
- The Hospital for Sick Children (Sick Kids)
- KPMG LLP Canada
- Eli Lilly Canada Inc
- Sanofi Canada