Get a degree that computes.
Study at one of the world’s best schools for computer science, where more than 80 professors are pushing the boundaries of the field.
With 70+ computer science courses, plus no end of options and electives, you can create a degree tailored to your specific interests. After first year, you can choose to major in Data Science.
You can also gain 2 years of paid work experience through our co-op program, the largest of its kind in North America, or fast track your degree by choosing the regular system of study.
Your degree is your ticket to career success. Our graduates go on to work in leading technology companies and at top universities around the world.
Meanwhile, Waterloo professors and graduates have created 300 spin-off companies, including leaders like OpenText, Canada’s largest software company.
Social and academic support
Through Waterloo’s Computer Science Club, get access to high-powered hardware or get social with your fellow students.
Calling all hackers
Bring your ideas to life at Hack the North — Canada’s biggest hackathon — which attracts more than 1,000 students from around the world each year.
About Computer Science
Apply directly to this program on your application
Earn a Bachelor of Computer Science or Bachelor of Mathematics
1st Faculty of Mathematics in North America
Offered by the Faculty of Mathematics
Waterloo is an international leader in mathematics
- Ontario students: 6 Grade 12 U and/or M courses including
- Advanced Functions
- Calculus and Vectors
- Any Grade 12 U English
- One other 4U course
- Recommended: Grade 11 U Introduction to Computer Science
You can choose advanced-stream courses for algebra, calculus, and computer science if you meet the requirements.
September to December
January to April
After first year
The majority of the required courses you’ll take will be Computer Science courses, with additional courses in the Faculty of Mathematics. With your remaining classes, you can choose electives from many of the 100 subject areas at Waterloo.
View a list of all the courses required for your degree.
Customize your degree
You can also add additional areas of interest and expertise by including a minor(s) as part of your degree.
Sample upper-year courses
By alternating school terms and paid co-op work terms throughout your degree, you can explore new career areas and types of employers as your career interests evolve. You can choose from 4 different co-op sequences.
Sample co-op positions
- Web Developer/Architect, The Steele Group
- Mobile/Cloud Developer, Clearbridge Associates Limited
- Bioinformatics Database Developer, Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada
- Data Management Officer, Ontario Ministry of the Environment
- Software Engineering, General Dynamics Canada
- Software Design, SeaWell Networks
- Software Development Engineering, Microsoft
Careers in Computer Science
- Risk Modelling Analyst, TD Bank
- Business Analyst, Canadian Tire Corporation
- Agile Engineer, Pivotal Labs
- Developer Advocate, Google
- Product Manager, Dropbox
- Program Analyst, Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care
- Programmer, Harry Rosen Inc.
- Quality Assurance Analyst, IBM Canada
- Lead Developer, BMO Bank of Montreal
- Visit the Computer Science website