Harness the power of geographic data.
Geomatics combines computer science with geographic data analysis to devise data-driven solutions to complex problems, like mapping the response time of fire services and fire stations.
Learn to use tools such as remote sensing, computer mapping, geographic information systems (GIS), and GPS to analyze geographic data, understand spatial data, and make meaningful decisions. At the same time, you’ll also learn the fundamentals of software design from Waterloo’s computer science experts and have the opportunity to apply your knowledge and gain paid work experience in co-op.
Once you graduate, you’ll find no end of opportunities to put your skills to work. Help governments prepare for natural hazards such as floods. Track crime rates or the spread of disease. Map demographics for businesses, or develop transportation routes for municipalities. In this rapidly growing field, our grads are in high demand!
- Get career-relevant skills. Because we’ll train you on the advanced industry tools and techniques such as remote sensing, drones, and global positioning receivers, you’re ready to make an impact from day one of your career.
- Gain valuable computing skills. Take additional courses at Waterloo’s world-class Cheriton School of Computer Science, and you can include a Computing minor as part of your degree.
- Available as a regular or co-op program
- Graduate with a Bachelor of Environmental Studies
- Offered by the Faculty of Environment
What will you learn?
During your first year, you'll take foundational geography, environmental studies, English, and math courses.
In your upper years, about half of the classes you'll take will focus on geography and geomatics.
Learn more about the courses you'll take for your Geomatics degree.
Customize your degree
You can also add additional areas of expertise by including one or more of the areas of focus within the program.
- Climate Change and Environment
- Earth Systems Science
- Economy and Society
You can also include one of the minors available to all Waterloo students. Popular choices include Biology and Earth Sciences.
Get tips from Waterloo students
Join our monthly newsletter for tips such as choosing a university program, life at Waterloo, and finances.
Contact a student ambassador
Ask a Faculty of Environment student about their program, classes, getting involved on campus, and more!
Co-op = relevant paid work experience
By alternating school terms and paid co-op work terms throughout your degree, you can explore new career areas and types of employers as your career interests evolve.
Sample co-op job titles
- GIS operator
- Education consultant
- GIS & data management student
- Map design support
- Junior GIS assistant
- Geomatics plan technician
Sample co-op employers
- Elections Ontario
- The Regional Municipality of Halton
- Statistics Canada
- Toronto Transit Commission
- Region of Waterloo
- Natural Resources Canada
What can you do with a Geomatics degree?
Graduates often pursue careers in areas such as land use, engineering technology, spatial analysis, natural resources, consulting, and software development.
- Geographic Information System Analyst – Canada Post
- Geomatics Analyst – Public Safety & Emergency Preparedness Canada
- Senior Application Analyst – Accenture (US)
- Geographic Information System Specialist – Canacre
- Analyst – Department of National Defence
- Geographic Information System Computer-Aided Design Technician – City of Windsor
- Software Developer – Fortigo Freight Services
Learn about the future of careers in environment, sustainability, and geography.
Ontario students: six Grade 12 U and/or M courses including
- Any Grade 12 U English (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Any Grade 12 U Mathematics course (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
Admission average: Low 80s
Not studying in Ontario? Search our admission requirements.
How to apply
Apply directly to this program on your application.
Connect with us
Questions about courses, programs, requirements, or careers?
Contact Jaime, our Faculty of Environment recruitment coordinator who can answer any questions you have.