Geotag, you're it! Harness the power of geographic data.
Learn to use tools such as remote sensing, computer mapping, geographic information systems (GIS), and GPS to analyze geographic data, understand spatial data, and make meaningful decisions. At the same time, you’ll also learn the fundamentals of software design from Waterloo’s computer science experts.
Once you graduate from Geomatics, you’ll find no end of opportunities to put your skills to work. Help governments prepare for natural hazards such as floods. Track crime rates or the spread of disease. Map demographics for businesses, or develop transportation routes for municipalities.
In the rapidly growing field of geomatics, our grads are in high demand!
Add a computing option
Take additional courses at Waterloo’s world-class Cheriton School of Computer Science, and you can earn a Computer Technology option.
Get career relevant skills
Because we’ll train you on the same advanced tools and techniques used in industry, you’re ready to make an impact from day one of your career.
About the Geomatics program
Apply directly to the Geomatics program on your application
Earn a Bachelor of Environmental Studies degree in Geomatics
Use high tech labs and equipment in your courses
Offered by the Faculty of Environment
3 specializations to customize your degree
Geomatics admission requirements
- Ontario students: 6 Grade 12 U and/or M courses including
- Any Grade 12 U English (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- A Grade 12 U Mathematics course (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Recommended courses
- a second Grade 12 U Mathematics
- Grade 11 U Introduction to Computer Science is highly recommended
- Grade 12 U Computer Science
- Admission averages: Low 80s
- An Admission Information Form is recommended
- Not studying in Ontario? Search our admission requirements
First-year Geomatics courses
September to December
GEOG 101 - Human Geographies: People, Space and Change
GEOG 187 - Problem Solving in Geomatics
ENVS 178 - Environmental Applications of Data Management and Statistics
• CS 115 - Introduction to Computer Science 1
• CS 135 - Designing Functional Problems
• MATH 106 - Applied Linear Algebra 1
• MATH 114 - Linear Algebra for Science
January to April
GEOG 102 - Global Environmental Systems: Processes and Change
GEOG 281 - Introduction to Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
ENVS 278 - Applied Statistics for Environmental Research
• ENGL 109 - Introduction to Academic Writing
• ENGL 129R - Written Academic English
Plus 1 elective
Note: This a sample schedule. Courses may be taught in different terms from year to year.
After first year
View a list of all the courses required for your degree.
Sample upper-year Geomatics courses
CS 136 – Elementary Algorithm Design and Data Abstraction
GEOG 381 – Advanced Geographic Information Systems
CS 338 – Computer Applications in Business: Databases
GEOG 487 Management Issues in Geographic Information Systems
Customize your Bachelor of Environmental Studies degree in Geomatics
You can also add additional areas of interest and expertise by including a minor (or minors) and/or adding a Geomatics specialization.
- Climate Change and Environment
- Earth Systems Science
- Economy and Society
Gain relevant work experience through co-op
By alternating school terms and paid co-op work terms throughout your degree, you can explore new career areas and types of employers as your career interests evolve.
Sample co-op job titles
- GIS Technician - Mapping & Operations Section
- GIS Assistant
- GIS Technician Student
- Data Analyst
- GIS Operator
- GIS & Data Management Student
Sample co-op employers
- Statistics Canada
- Ontario Ministry of Aboriginal Affairs
- The Regional Municipality of York
- Natural Resources Canada
- Elections Ontario
- The Regional Municipality of Halton
Careers in Geomatics
At the University of Waterloo, our Geomatics students are active in both developing hands-on skills and pursuing careers in areas such as land use, engineering technology, spatial analysis, natural resources, consulting, and software development.
- GIS Technician, Pelmorex Media Inc.
- Java Developer, Genworth Canada
- Senior Application Analyst, Accenture Inc.
- Analyst, Department of National Defence
- Applications Support Engineer, exactEarth Ltd.
- GIS Specialist, CanAcre Ltd.