The demand for software engineers has increased dramatically as computer systems have become so common in our everyday lives.
Software engineering is a systematic and disciplined approach to developing software. Your courses will not only include a solid foundation in math, engineering, and computer science, but will also cover the software development process, project management, and technical documentation.
Waterloo's co-op program gives you an edge in the software industry after graduation. You'll graduate with 2 years of paid co-op work experience and earn money to finance your education.
The program, which combines Waterloo's internationally-recognized strengths in Computer Science and Computer Engineering, is accredited by the Canadian Engineering Accreditation Board and the Computer Science Accreditation Council, giving you access to careers in both areas.
About Software Engineering
Gain 2 years of experience in the co-op program
Apply directly to this program on your application
Earn a Bachelor of Applied Science degree
Engineering school in Canada (US News & World Report 2016)
Offered through the
Faculty of Engineering
Students earn $17,800 on average per co-op term
- Ontario students: 6 Grade 12 U and/or M courses including
- Advanced Functions (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Calculus and Vectors (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Chemistry (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Physics (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- English (ENG4U) (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Recommended courses: Grade 11 U Introduction to Computer Science, Grade 12 U Computer Science
- Admission averages: Individual selection from the mid-90s
- Not studying in Ontario? Search our admission requirements database
- Other requirements/recommendations:
- Experience in developing well-structured, modular programs is required. Applicants will be asked to explain programming experience on the Admission Information Form that is required for admission
- Strong performance in a programming contest, such as the Canadian Computing Competition, is helpful
- You're also strongly encouraged to write the Euclid Mathematics Contest
September to December
CS 137 - Programming Principles
ECE 105 - Physics of Electrical Engineering 1
MATH 115 - Linear Algebra for Engineering
MATH 117 - Calculus 1 for Engineering
MATH 135 - Algebra for Honours Mathematics
SE 101 - Methods of Software Engineering
January to April
After first year
- See the range of courses available in Software Engineering.
- View all the courses required for your degree.
By alternating school terms and paid co-op work terms throughout your degree, you can explore new career areas and types of employers as your career interests evolve.
Sample co-op positions
- Tools and Automation Engineering Intern, Mozilla Corporation
- Software Developer, Tagged Inc
- Computer and Technical Support, Ontario Ministry of Education
- Fund Analyst, East Coast Fund Management
- Technical Product Manager - Software Design & Development, NexJ Systems Inc
- Software Developer - Member Services Information Technology, Ontario Teacher's Pension Plan Board
- Software Systems Development, Technical Solutions Company
Careers in Software Engineering
- Software Developer, IBM Canada
- Consultant, PureFacts Financial Solutions
- Software Manager, Arius Software Corporation
- Head of Technology and Engineering, Sydus
- Software Engineer, VistaPrint USA
- Implementation Consultant, Desire2Learn
- Software Engineer, Harris Corporation
- Software Developer, Accenture Inc.
Possible professional designation
- Visit the Software Engineering website