Why choose? Develop software savvy and hardware know-how.
Want to design a brain stimulator to combat symptoms of Parkinson's disease? Develop software to protect companies from cyber attacks? Create the next groundbreaking gaming platform?
Between labs and lectures, you'll gain experience with all aspects of computers, from chips and wiring to software, networks, and communications. Meanwhile, your co-op terms will give you 2 years of paid work experience.
You’ll graduate ready for a career as a software developer, hardware engineer, IT specialist, systems designer, and more.
Study in a high-tech hub
Waterloo Region is home to more than 1,000 technology companies, including Google and Kik, providing lots of co-op and career opportunities.
Calling all hackers
Bring your ideas to life at Hack the North — Canada’s biggest hackathon — which attracts more than 1,000 students from around the world each year.
About the Computer Engineering program
Gain 2 years of experience in the co-op program
Apply directly to this program on your application
Earn a Bachelor of Applied Science degree
Engineering school in Canada (US News & World Report 2018)
Offered by the Faculty of Engineering
Students earn $17,800 on average per co-op term
Computer Engineering admission requirements
- Ontario students: 6 Grade 12 U and/or M courses including
- Advanced Functions (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Calculus and Vectors (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Chemistry (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Physics (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- English (ENG4U) (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Admission averages: Individual selection from the low to mid-90s
- An Admission Information Form is required
- Not studying in Ontario? Search our admission requirements
First-year Computer Engineering courses
September to December
GENE 191 - Communication in the Engineering Profession
ECE 105 - Classical Mechanics
ECE 150 - Fundamentals of Programming
ECE 190 - Engineering Profession and Practice
MATH 115 - Linear Algebra
MATH 117 - Calculus 1 for Engineering
Workplace Hazardous Materials Milestone*
January to April or May to August
ECE 102 - Information Session
ECE 106 - Electricity and Magnetism
ECE 108 - Discrete Mathematics and Logic 1
ECE 124 - Digital Circuits and Systems
ECE 140 - Linear Circuits
ECE 192 - Engineering Economics and Impact on Society
MATH 119 - Calculus 2 for Engineering
* Milestones and courses with deadlines for successful completion are shown in the terms where they are normally completed. Work-term report courses (WKRPT 201, WKRPT 301, WKRPT 401) are considered milestones with deadlines for successful completion
After first year
- See the range of courses available in Electrical and Computer Engineering.
- View all the courses required for your degree.
Sample upper-year Computer Engineering courses
Gain relevant work experience through co-op
By alternating school terms and paid co-op work terms throughout your degree, you can explore new career areas and types of employers as your career interests evolve.
Sample co-op job titles
- Mobile Software Developer
- Internet Application Developer
- Web/Mobile 3D Engineering
- Solution Developer
- Test Automation Developer
- Service Desk Analyst - Client Services
Sample co-op employers
- Five Mobile Inc
- Canfone.com Inc
- Xtreme Labs Inc
- Toronto Transit Commission
Careers in Computer Engineering
As a graduate, you might design control systems for automated production lines, create software for digital telephone switching systems, develop an operating system for a client with specific needs, or plan and supervise the installation of computer networks.
- Software Developer, Google
- Senior Mobile Developer, CIBC
- Network Designer, TELUS Corporation
- Spacecraft Operations Engineer, Canadian Space Agency
- Hardware Engineer, Apple
- Software Engineer, Cisco Systems Canada
- Engineering Manager, LinkedIn
- IT Specialist, IBM Canada
- Firmware Engineer, Millson
Possible professional designation
Learn more about Computer Engineering
- Visit the Computer Engineering website