Computer engineering draws upon Waterloo's strengths in electrical engineering and computer science. You'll gain experience with all aspects of computers, from chips and wiring through to software, networks, and communications.
Use our labs to develop software that allows mobile wireless devices to communicate securely. An annual design symposium gives you the opportunity to show your fourth-year project to the public - as well as potential employers and investors!
More than 1,000 technology companies, including BlackBerry and Google, have offices in the surrounding community, providing many opportunities for co-op work terms or your career.
About Computer Engineering
Gain 2 years of experience in the co-op program
Apply directly to this program on your application
Earn a Bachelor of Applied Science degree
Engineering school in Canada (US News & World Report 2016)
Offered through the
Faculty of Engineering
Students earn $17,800 on average per co-op term
- Ontario students: 6 Grade 12 U and/or M courses including
- Advanced Functions (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Calculus and Vectors (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Chemistry (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Physics (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- English (ENG4U) (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Admission averages: Individual selection from the mid-80s
- An Admission Information Form is required
- Not studying in Ontario? Search our admission requirements database
September to December
CHE 102 - Chemistry for Engineers
ECE 105 - Classical Mechanics
ECE 150 - Fundamentals of Programming
ECE 190 - Engineering Profession and Practice
MATH 115 - Linear Algebra
MATH 117 - Calculus 1 for Engineering
January to April or May to August
ECE 102 - Information Session
ECE 106 - Electricity and Magnetism
ECE 108 - Discrete Mathematics and Logic 1
ECE 124 - Digital Circuits and Systems
ECE 140 - Linear Circuits
MATH 119 - Calculus 2 for Engineering
After first year
- See the range of courses available in Electrical and Computer Engineering.
- View all the courses required for your degree.
By alternating school terms and paid co-op work terms throughout your degree, you can explore new career areas and types of employers as your career interests evolve.
Sample co-op positions
- Mobile Software Developer, Five Mobile Inc
- Internet Application Developer, Canfone.com Inc
- Web/Mobile 3D Engineering, Sensidea
- Solution Developer, T4G Limited
- Developer, Xtreme Labs Inc
- Test Automation Developer, BlackBerry
- Service Desk Analyst - Client Services, Toronto Transit Commission
Careers in Computer Engineering
As a graduate, you might design control systems for automated production lines, create software for digital telephone switching systems, develop an operating system for a client with specific needs, or plan and supervise the installation of computer networks.
- Software Developer, Google
- Senior Mobile Developer, CIBC
- Network Designer, TELUS Corporation
- Spacecraft Operations Engineer, Canadian Space Agency
- Hardware Engineer, Apple Inc.
- Software Engineer, Cisco Systems Canada
- Engineering Manager, LinkedIn
- IT Specialist, IBM Canada
- Firmware Engineer, Millson
Possible professional designation
- Visit the Computer Engineering website