Set yourself up for an electrifying future.
Behind just about every advance in information, power, and energy, you’ll find an electrical engineer. Join the ranks of those innovators with a degree from Waterloo.
You’ll study the fundamentals of electromagnetism, circuits, algorithms, and instrumentation. You'll also gain hands-on experience starting right in first year, thanks to paid co-op work terms and some of the best electrical engineering student labs in North America.
When you graduate, you’ll have hundreds of career paths open to you: from designing power stations and aircraft control systems to pioneering the future of microprocessors and telecommunications systems.
Build electric cars
Join one of Waterloo’s student design teams where you’ll design, build, and race electric cars in North American and global competitions.
Showcase your ideas
An annual design symposium gives you the opportunity to show your fourth-year project to the public — as well as potential employers and investors!
About Electrical Engineering
Gain 2 years of experience in the co-op program
Apply directly to this program on your application
Earn a Bachelor of Applied Science degree
Engineering school in Canada (US News & World Report 2016)
Offered through the
Faculty of Engineering
Students earn $17,800 on average per co-op term
- Ontario students: 6 Grade 12 U and/or M courses including
- Advanced Functions (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Calculus and Vectors (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Physics (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Chemistry (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- English (ENG4U) (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Admission averages: Individual selection from the mid-80s
- An Admission Information Form is required
- Not studying in Ontario? Search our admission requirements database
September to December
CHE 102 - Chemistry for Engineers
ECE 105 - Classical Mechanics
ECE 150 - Fundamentals of Programming
ECE 190 - Engineering Profession and Practice
MATH 115 - Linear Algebra
MATH 117 - Calculus 1 for Engineering
January to April or May to August
ECE 102 - Information Session
ECE 106 - Electricity and Magnetism
ECE 108 - Discrete Mathematics and Logic 1
ECE 124 - Digital Circuits and Systems
ECE 140 - Linear Circuits
MATH 119 - Calculus 2 for Engineering
After first year
See the range of courses available in Electrical and Computer Engineering. You can also view all the courses required for your degree.
By alternating school terms and paid co-op work terms throughout your degree, you can explore new career areas and types of employers as your career interests evolve.
Sample co-op positions
- Web Solution Developer - eCommerce, Velcro Canada Inc
- Junior Power Electronics/Firmware field trial, Blue Heron Systems
- Web Developer, Western Financial Consulting
- Intel Technical Administrator, The Economical Insurance Group
- Software Developer, Evertz Microsystems Ltd
- Technical Assistant, Wintel Computers
- Junior Developer/Business Analyst (Notes & Web Developer), PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP
- Information Technology Analyst, The Michener Institute
Careers in Electrical Engineering
- Design Engineer, Advanced Micro Devices Inc.
- Software Developer Engineer, Amazon.com
- Camera Design Engineer, Apple
- Audio Technology Developer, BlackBerry Limited
- Electrical Control & Design Engineer, Control System Innovators Corp
- Solutions Engineer, Sandvine Corporation
- Design Engineer, J&B Engineering Inc
- Engineering Specialist, Toyota Motor Manufacturing Canada Inc.
- Energy Analyst, Toronto Hydro Corporation
- Embedded Software Engineer, Motorola Solutions
Possible professional designation
- Visit the Electrical Engineering website