Put your career in gear.
If you love things that move, this is your program. At Waterloo, you’ll develop the skills you need to design everything from switches to spacecraft.
You’ll get a broad foundation in all aspects of mechanical design: mechanics, power, control, and manufacturing. You’ll also learn to lead large, multidisciplinary teams, solve problems, and come up with high-impact innovations.
Where you use those skills is up to you. Mechanical engineers work in all kinds of fields, constantly looking for ways to make machinery faster, lighter, cleaner, and more reliable.
And with 2 years of career-relevant experience on your résumé by the time you graduate, you’ll definitely impress potential employers.
Get your hands dirty
At Waterloo, you'll have access to well-equipped labs for design and experimentation (including our highly popular engine dissection lab).
Put the pedal to the metal
Gain hands-on experience with student teams that design everything from Formula SAE race cars and solar cars, to clean snowmobiles, submarines, and satellites.
About Mechanical Engineering
Gain 2 years of experience in the co-op program
Apply directly to this program on your application
Earn a Bachelor of Applied Science degree
Engineering school in Canada (US News & World Report 2016)
Offered by the Faculty of Engineering
Students earn $17,800 on average per co-op term
- Ontario students: 6 Grade 12 U and/or M courses including
- Advanced Functions (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Calculus and Vectors (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Chemistry (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Physics (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- English (ENG4U) (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Admission averages: Individual selection from the low 90s
- An Admission Information Form is required
- Not studying in Ontario? Search our admission requirements database
September to December
January to April or May to August
ME 100B - Seminar
ME 101 - Mechanical Engineering Practice 2
ME 115 - Structure and Properties of Materials
GENE 123 - Electrical Circuits
MATH 118 - Calculus 2 for Engineering
1 Complementary Studies Elective Course
After first year
- See the range of courses available in Mechanical Engineering.
- View all the courses required for your degree.
By alternating school terms and paid co-op work terms throughout your degree, you can explore new career areas and types of employers as your career interests evolve.
Sample co-op positions
- Business Analyst, Transportation, Canadian Tire Corporation
- Facilities Team Project Assistant, MDS Nordion
- Assistant Design / Production Engineering, Tokai Rika Group
- Junior Project Supervisor, Air Liquide
- Mechanical Engineering Assistant, Smith & Andersen
Careers in Mechanical Engineering
- Processor Liability Coordinator, ArcelorMittal Dofasco Inc.
- Operations Program Manager, New Product, Apple
- Automation Engineer, Score Media
- Designer, Hitachi Canada Inc.
- Forensic Engineer, Samac Engineering Ltd.
- Integration Engineer, Ford Motor Co.
- President & CEO, BladeTech Hockey Inc.
- Aerospace Officer, Canadian Armed Forces
- Production Systems Control Engineer, General Motors of Canada Ltd.
Possible professional designation
- Visit the Mechanical Engineering website