Put your career in gear.
If you love things that move, this is your program. At Waterloo, you’ll develop the skills you need to design everything from switches to spacecraft.
You’ll get a broad foundation in all aspects of mechanical design: mechanics, power, control, and manufacturing. You’ll also learn to lead large, multidisciplinary teams, solve problems, and come up with high-impact innovations.
Where you use those skills is up to you. Mechanical engineers work in all kinds of fields, constantly looking for ways to make machinery faster, lighter, cleaner, and more reliable.
And with 2 years of career-relevant experience on your résumé by the time you graduate, you’ll definitely impress potential employers.
Mechanical Engineering admission requirements
Ontario students: 6 Grade 12 U and/or M courses including
- Advanced Functions (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Calculus and Vectors (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Chemistry (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Physics (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- English (ENG4U) (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Admission averages: Individual selection from the low to mid-90s
Complete the Admission Information Form once you've applied.
Not studying in Ontario? Search our admission requirements database.
First-year Mechanical Engineering courses
September to December
January to April or May to August
After first year
Sample upper-year courses
Gain 2 years of experience in the co-op program
Apply directly to this program on your application
Earn a Bachelor of Applied Science degree
Co-op = relevant paid work experience
By alternating school terms and paid co-op work terms throughout your degree, you can explore new career areas and types of employers as your career interests evolve.
Sample co-op job titles
- Assistant design / production engineering
- Mechanical designer
- Project engineering
- Quality assurance
- Machine operator
- Manufacturing student
- Maintenance & Facilities assistant
- Product developer
Sample co-op employers
- Linamar Corporation
- Natural Resources Canada
- Canadian Tire Corporation
- Bruce Power Inc
- University of Waterloo
- Bombardier Inc
Engineering school in Canada (US News & World Report 2018)
Offered by the Faculty of Engineering
Students earn $17,800 on average per co-op term
What can you do with a degree in Mechanical Engineering?
Waterloo Mechanical Engineering graduates often pursue careers in automation, automotive aerospace, and forensics. They commonly work for media companies, technology companies, vehicle manufactures, and more.
- Mechanical Engineer – Apple
- Engineer in Training – Shell Canada
- Reactor Designer – Candu Energy
- Mechanical Engineer – Imperial Oil
- Quality Control Engineer - Toyota Motor Manufacturing Canada
- Production Engineer – SeedMaster
- Senior Hardware Engineer – Teledyne DALSA
Possible professional designation
Get your hands dirty
At Waterloo, you'll have access to well-equipped labs for design and experimentation (including our highly popular engine dissection lab).
Put the pedal to the metal
Gain hands-on experience with student teams that design everything from Formula SAE race cars and solar cars, to clean snowmobiles, submarines, and satellites.
Learn more about Mechanical Engineering
- Visit the Mechanical Engineering website