Water has become a major issue in many parts of the world. In Canada's largest Environmental Engineering program, you'll focus on issues such as water management and treatment, remediation of surface water and groundwater, biotechnology, and how pollutants travel in water and how to remove them.
You'll take courses from other departments in Engineering and from the Faculties of Environment and Science to learn to address environmental issues from various points of view.
Graduate with 2 years of co-op work experience, earn money to help pay for your education, and be able to try out different career areas before you graduate. Your co-op work terms could be in the field, a lab, or an office.
About Environmental Engineering at Waterloo
- Available as a co-op program only
- Starts in first year so apply directly to this program on your application
- Earn a Bachelor of Applied Science in Environmental Engineering
- Offered by the Faculty of Engineering
- Ontario students: 6 Grade 12 U and/or M courses including
- Advanced Functions (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Calculus and Vectors (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Physics (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Chemistry (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- English (ENG4U) (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Admission averages: Individual selection from the mid-80s to low 90s
- An Admission Information Form is required
- Not studying in Ontario? Search our admission requirements database
September to December
CHE 102 Chemistry for Engineers
ENVE 100 Environmental and Geological Engineering Concepts
CIVE 104 Mechanics 1
CIVE 115 Linear Algebra
MATH 116 Calculus 1 for Engineering
1 Complementary Studies Elective course
May to August
What other courses will you take?
- See the range of courses available in Environmental Engineering.
- View all the courses required for your degree.
By alternating school terms and paid co-op work terms throughout your degree, you can explore new career areas and types of employers as your career interests evolve.
Sample co-op positions
- Engineering - Remediation Services, Conestoga-Rovers & Associates
- Design Technician, The Regional Municipality of York
- Instrumentation Data Reduction Assistant, Klohn Crippen Berger
- Water /Wastewater Project Assistant, City of Greater Sudbury
- Production Analyst, Southmedic
- Engineering Assistant, Nantong Environmental Science Research Institute
- Resource Conservation, Frito-Lay Canada
Co-op work/study sequences
Fall = September to December, Winter = January to April, Spring = May to August
When you graduate, you'll be ready to provide vital services in consulting, industry, regulatory agencies, and government offices.
- Environmental Engineer, Shell Canada
- Project Manager, Peritus Environmental Consultants
- Geotechnical Engineer, EBA Engineering Consultants
- Water Consultant, City of Toronto
- Senior Engineer, Conestoga-Rovers & Associates
- Environmental Controller, Coffery Geotechnics
- Water Resources Engineer, MMM Group
- Technical Officer, Independent Electricity System Operator