If you are adventurous and enjoy the outdoors - this program is perfect! Waterloo is known for hands-on learning, and as a Geological Engineering student, you'll get your hands dirty through field courses and co-op jobs. These practical opportunities allow you to see geological processes first hand.
With just 15 to 20 students in first year, you'll be able work closely with classmates and your professors. Through co-op, you'll gain 2 years of paid work experience, earn money to help pay for your education, and try out different career areas.
As a geological engineer, you'll use your knowledge of soil and rock behavior to address issues of hazardous waste removal, groundwater, minerals exploration, and new petroleum production technologies.
Our Geological Engineering program is one of only 2 in Ontario. Offered jointly by the Civil Engineering and Earth Sciences departments, the program develops your engineering design and problem-solving skills, and gives you a solid background in earth sciences.
About Geological Engineering at Waterloo
- Available as a co-op program only
- Starts in first year so apply directly to this program on your application
- Earn a Bachelor of Applied Science in Geological Engineering
- Offered by the Faculty of Engineering
- Ontario students: 6 Grade 12 U and/or M courses including
- Advanced Functions (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Calculus and Vectors (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Chemistry (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Physics (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- English (ENG4U) (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Admission averages: Individual selection from the mid- to high 80s
- An Admission Information Form is required
- Not studying in Ontario? Search our admission requirements database
September to December
May to August
What other courses will you take?
- See the range of courses available in Geological Engineering.
- View all the courses required for your degree.
By alternating school terms and paid co-op work terms throughout your degree, you can explore new career areas and types of employers as your career interests evolve.
Sample co-op positions
- Geological Assistant, Rainy River Resources Ltd
- Environmental Technician, Tri-Phase Environmental Inc
- Civil Engineering Assistant, Archibald Gray & McKay Ltd
- Project Inspector, Belanger Engineering
- Drilling Engineering / Well Planner, Nabors Industries Ltd
- Geotechnical Engineering Assistant, Golder Associates Ltd
- Engineer's Assistant, B. M. Ross & Associates Ltd
Co-op work/study sequences
Fall = September to December, Winter = January to April, Spring = May to August
- Geotechnical Engineering, Yukon Zinc Corporation
- Geological Engineer, AMEC
- Geotechnical Design, Shell Canada Limited
- Hydrogeological Engineer, WorleyParsons
- Exploration Geologist, Shell US Products Limited
- Tunnel Inspector, Morrison Hershfield Group Inc.
- Equity Research Associate, Precious Metals, Canaccord Genuity Group Inc.
- Engineering Geologist, Golder Associates Ltd.