Put your future on solid ground — and help the world do the same.
Use your knowledge of soil and rock behaviour to solve complex problems. Ensure the safety of dams and pipelines, assess risks for landslides and earthquakes, remove hazardous waste from groundwater, and more.
Waterloo’s Geological Engineering program is one of only 2 in Ontario. You’ll take Civil Engineering classes, where you’ll learn design and problem-solving skills. You’ll also take Earth Sciences classes, where you’ll acquire a solid background in geosciences.
Meanwhile, through co-op, you'll gain 2 full years of related work experience.
When you graduate, your degree can take you around the world — working in oil and gas, mineral exploration, hazard waste removal, groundwater management, and more.
A ton of field courses
Each year, you’ll see geological processes first hand — from Waterloo's campus to northern Ontario to Peru — thanks to extensive field courses.
Make lasting connections
With just 15 to 20 students in first year, you'll develop strong bonds with your classmates and your professors.
About Geological Engineering
Gain 2 years of experience in the co-op program
Apply directly to this program on your application
Earn a Bachelor of Applied Science degree
Engineering school in Canada (US News & World Report 2016)
Offered by the Faculty of Engineering
Students earn $17,800 on average per co-op term
- Ontario students: 6 Grade 12 U and/or M courses including
- Advanced Functions (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Calculus and Vectors (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Chemistry (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Physics (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- English (ENG4U) (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Admission averages: Individual selection from the mid-80s
- An Admission Information Form is required
- Not studying in Ontario? Search our admission requirements database
September to December
CHE 102 - Chemistry for Engineers
ENVE 100 - Environmental and Geological Engineering Concepts
CIVE 104 - Mechanics 1
CIVE 115 - Linear Algebra
MATH 116 - Calculus 1 for Engineering
Plus 1 approved Complementary Studies Elective
May to August
After first year
- See the range of courses available in Geological Engineering.
- View all the courses required for your degree.
By alternating school terms and paid co-op work terms throughout your degree, you can explore new career areas and types of employers as your career interests evolve.
Sample co-op positions
- Geological Assistant, Rainy River Resources Ltd
- Environmental Technician, Tri-Phase Environmental Inc
- Civil Engineering Assistant, Archibald Gray & McKay Ltd
- Project Inspector, Belanger Engineering
- Drilling Engineering / Well Planner, Nabors Industries Ltd
- Geotechnical Engineering Assistant, Golder Associates Ltd
- Engineer's Assistant, B. M. Ross & Associates Ltd
Careers in Geological Engineering
- Geotechnical Engineering, Yukon Zinc Corporation
- Geological Engineer, AMEC
- Geotechnical Design, Shell Canada Limited
- Hydrogeological Engineer, WorleyParsons
- Exploration Geologist, Shell US Products Limited
- Tunnel Inspector, Morrison Hershfield Group Inc.
- Equity Research Associate, Precious Metals, Canaccord Genuity Group Inc.
- Engineering Geologist, Golder Associates Ltd.
Possible professional designation
- Visit the Geological Engineering website