Mechatronics systems are used nearly everywhere in society. In Mechatronics Engineering, you'll learn to combine mechanical engineering, electronics, control engineering, and computer science to design systems such as ATMs, “smart” user interface robotics, satellite systems, anti-lock braking systems, and "fly-by-wire" control systems for commercial jets. Each of these products is essentially mechanical in nature, but could not function without electrical and computer control systems.
With 2 years of paid co-op experience, you'll get a head start on your career through the valuable skills you'll develop, the contacts you'll make, and the money you earn through your 6 co-op work terms.
About Mechatronics Engineering
Gain 2 years of experience in the co-op program
Apply directly to this program on your application
Earn a Bachelor of Applied Science degree
- Ontario students: 6 Grade 12 U and/or M courses including
- Advanced Functions (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Calculus and Vectors (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Chemistry (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- English (ENG4U) (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Physics (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Admission average: Individual selection from the low 90s
- An Admission Information Form is required
- Not studying in Ontario? Search our admission requirements database
September to December
January to April or May to August
After first year
- See the range of courses available in Mechatronics Engineering.
- View all the courses required for your degree.
Sample co-op positions
- Test Equipment Engineering, Aerotek Inc.
- Multimedia / Graphics Embedded Software Development Engineering, QUALCOMM Inc.
- Robotics Developer, Aeryon Labs
- Research Assistant, The Robarts Research Institute
- Engineering Student Intern, Persego Inc.
- Engineering Assistant - Waterloo Clean Snowmobile Team, University of Waterloo
Careers in Mechatronics Engineering
- iPhone Product Design Engineer, Apple
- Control System Software Designer, ATS Automation Tooling Systems
- Business Technology Analyst, Deloitte & Touche LLP
- Technical Program Coordinator, Facebook
- Hardware Engineer, Google
- Manager, Broadband & IP Engineering, Bell Canada
- Co-Founder, Voltera