Build the next generation of robots (and cars and wearable tech and …)
From the ATM down the street to the drone that will one day deliver your pizza, computer-controlled electromechanical systems drive all kinds of technology. Learn to design those systems in Waterloo’s Mechatronics Engineering program — the first of its kind in Canada.
You’ll develop expertise in mechanical engineering, electronics, control engineering, and computer science, pulling together know-how from these different fields to develop sophisticated machines.
During your co-op terms, you’ll have the chance to try out different career paths, earn money to pay for your education, and build a résumé guaranteed to impress potential employers.
Get access to great tools
Through Waterloo’s WATiMake lab, you’ll have access to laser cutters, 3D printers, injection molding machines, and other tools to help you with prototypes and design projects.
Do research in the RoboHub
When Waterloo’s RoboHub opens its doors in 2018, it will be one of the most technologically sophisticated robotics research testing facilities in the world, with drones, humanoid robots, mag-lev robots, and more.
About Mechatronics Engineering
Gain 2 years of experience in the co-op program
Apply directly to this program on your application
Earn a Bachelor of Applied Science degree
Engineering school in Canada (US News & World Report 2016)
Offered through the Faculty of Engineering
Students earn $17,800 on average per co-op term
- Ontario students: 6 Grade 12 U and/or M courses including
- Advanced Functions (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Calculus and Vectors (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Chemistry (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- English (ENG4U) (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Physics (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Admission average: Individual selection from the low 90s
- An Admission Information Form is required
- Not studying in Ontario? Search our admission requirements database
September to December
January to April or May to August
After first year
- See the range of courses available in Mechatronics Engineering.
- View all the courses required for your degree.
Sample co-op positions
- Test Equipment Engineering, Aerotek Inc.
- Multimedia / Graphics Embedded Software Development Engineering, QUALCOMM Inc.
- Robotics Developer, Aeryon Labs
- Research Assistant, The Robarts Research Institute
- Engineering Student Intern, Persego Inc.
- Engineering Assistant - Waterloo Clean Snowmobile Team, University of Waterloo
Careers in Mechatronics Engineering
- iPhone Product Design Engineer, Apple
- Control System Software Designer, ATS Automation Tooling Systems
- Business Technology Analyst, Deloitte & Touche LLP
- Technical Program Coordinator, Facebook
- Hardware Engineer, Google
- Manager, Broadband & IP Engineering, Bell Canada
- Co-Founder, Voltera
Possible professional designation
Learn more about Mechatronics Engineering
- Visit the Mechatronics Engineering website