Build the next generation of robots (and cars and wearable tech and …)
From the ATM down the street to the drone that will one day deliver your pizza, computer-controlled electromechanical systems drive all kinds of technology. Learn to design those systems in Waterloo’s Mechatronics Engineering program — the first of its kind in Canada.
You’ll develop expertise in mechanical engineering, electronics, control engineering, and computer science, pulling together know-how from these different fields to develop sophisticated machines.
During your co-op terms, you’ll have the chance to try out different career paths, earn money to pay for your education, and build a résumé guaranteed to impress potential employers.
Get access to great tools
Through Waterloo’s WATiMake lab, you’ll have access to laser cutters, 3D printers, injection molding machines, and other tools to help you with prototypes and design projects.
Join a student design team
Get hands-on experience by joining teams such as Waterloop, researching supersonic trains that travel in underground airless tubes, or the Robotics team, designing and building the robots of tomorrow.
About the Mechatronics Engineering program
Gain 2 years of experience in the co-op program
Apply directly to this program on your application
Earn a Bachelor of Applied Science degree
Engineering school in Canada (US News & World Report 2018)
Offered through the Faculty of Engineering
Students earn $17,800 on average per co-op term
Mechatronics Engineering admission requirements
- Ontario students: 6 Grade 12 U and/or M courses including
- Advanced Functions (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Calculus and Vectors (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Chemistry (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- English (ENG4U) (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Physics (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Admission average: Individual selection from the low to mid-90s
- An Admission Information Form is required
- Not studying in Ontario? Search our admission requirements
First-year Mechatronics Engineering courses
September to December
January to April or May to August
After first year
Sample upper-year courses
Gain relevant work experience through co-op
Sample co-op job titles
- Systems software engineering
- Robotics software developer
- Hardware engineering intern
- Mechanical designer-automation
- Control systems software design
- Instrumental engineering
- Product manager
- Application developer
Sample co-op employers
- NVIDIA Corporation
- Toyota Motor Manufacturing Canada
- Teledyne DALSA
- Trexo Robotics
- SAP Canada
- Synaptive Medical
- Department of National Defence
- Autodesk Canada
What can I do with a degree in Mechatronics Engineering?
Waterloo Mechatronics Engineering graduates often pursue careers in product and software design, technology analysis, program coordination, and more. They usually work for technology companies and telecommunications companies.
- Systems Engineer – ATS Automation Tooling Systems
- Telematics Engineer – Hyundai
- iPhone Product Design Engineer – Apple
- Firmware Engineer – Fitbit
- Program Manager – Microsoft
- Mechanical Engineer – Nikon
- Android Partner Engineer – Google