Build the next generation of robots (and cars and wearable tech and …)
From the ATM down the street to the drone that will one day deliver your pizza, computer-controlled electromechanical systems drive all kinds of technology. Learn to design those systems in Waterloo’s Mechatronics Engineering program — the first of its kind in Canada.
You’ll develop expertise in mechanical engineering, electronics, control engineering, and computer science, pulling together know-how from these different fields to develop sophisticated machines.
During your co-op terms, you’ll have the chance to try out different career paths, earn money to pay for your education, and build a résumé guaranteed to impress potential employers.
Get access to great tools
Through Waterloo’s WATiMake lab, you’ll have access to laser cutters, 3D printers, injection molding machines, and other tools to help you with prototypes and design projects.
Join a student design team
Get hands-on experience by joining teams such as Waterloop, researching supersonic trains that travel in underground airless tubes, or the Robotics team, designing and building the robots of tomorrow.
About the Mechatronics Engineering program
Gain 2 years of experience in the co-op program
Apply directly to this program on your application
Earn a Bachelor of Applied Science degree
Engineering school in Canada (US News & World Report 2018)
Offered through the Faculty of Engineering
Students earn $17,800 on average per co-op term
Mechatronics Engineering admission requirements
- Ontario students: 6 Grade 12 U and/or M courses including
- Advanced Functions (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Calculus and Vectors (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Chemistry (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- English (ENG4U) (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Physics (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Admission average: Individual selection from the low to mid-90s
- An Admission Information Form is required
- Not studying in Ontario? Search our admission requirements
First-year Mechatronics Engineering courses
September to December
January to April or May to August
After first year
- See the range of courses available in Mechatronics Engineering.
- View all the courses required for your degree.
Sample upper-year Mechatronics Engineering courses
Gain relevant work experience through co-op
Sample co-op job titles
- Robotics Developer
- Multimedia / Graphics Embedded Software Development Engineering
- Research Assistant
- Engineering Student Intern
- Engineering Assistant - Waterloo Clean Snowmobile Team
Sample co-op employers
- Aerotek Inc.
- QUALCOMM Inc.
- Aeryon Labs
- The Robarts Research Institute
- University of Waterloo
Careers in Mechatronics Engineering
- iPhone Product Design Engineer, Apple
- Control System Software Designer, ATS Automation Tooling Systems
- Business Technology Analyst, Deloitte & Touche LLP
- Technical Program Coordinator, Facebook
- Hardware Engineer, Google
- Manager, Broadband & IP Engineering, Bell Canada
- Co-Founder, Voltera