University COVID-19 update

The University of Waterloo is constantly updating our most Frequently Asked Questions.

Questions about buildings and services? Visit the list of Modified Services.

Please note: The University of Waterloo is closed for all events until further notice.

Transferring into co-op

Transfers to co-op header image

All students interested in transferring into the co-op program should apply during their 1B term. Information sessions are held in early March/July/November so students not in co-op may explore the possibility of switching to the co-op program. Notices of these information sessions are posted in the Mathematics Undergraduate Office (MUO) in February/June/October. Applications to transfer to co-op are due on the last day of lectures each term.

Admission requirements

Admission to the co-op program in Mathematics is very competitive. Students seeking admission to co-op must compete for limited spaces; therefore, grades become an extremely important part of the application. Historically, the number of students admitted to co-op each term has ranged from 15-20.

  • Typically successful applicants have a cumulative average of at least 85% during their 1A and 1B terms. Exact grades required vary from term to term, as they are dependent on the grades of the students applying and on the number of available spaces.
  • While grades are the primary factor, additional information submitted by the applicant will be considered, so it is impossible to predict an average that will guarantee admission to co-op in any given term.

  • All applicants must have no more than 6.0 units completed, including transfer credits when applying

  • Students should be prepared to complete a total of six full-time terms as a co-op student and five work terms.

Students studying on a study permit must accept that some restrictions will apply: these students' work terms are restricted to Canada (and/or their country of citizenship) and those students must obtain a coop work permit from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (a process that may take up to 12 weeks) as well as a Social Insurance Number (SIN) before beginning their work term.

Co-operative Education will assist international students with obtaining their coop work-permits from Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada.

How do I apply?

The application process involves the following steps:

  1. You must complete the online application form.
    1. As part of the online application, there is an opportunity to provide additional information regarding your application. You may wish to explain how you will benefit from being in co-op, or why you feel you will be a strong co-op ambassador for Waterloo, or any other information you feel is relevant. There is a limit of 500 characters, so be concise!
    2. Choose a co-op sequence. 
  2. You must email your resume (as a pdf file) to the Associate Dean, Co-op. Use the subject "Transfer Application (ID)", using your student ID number in brackets.
  3. If you are on a study permit, you must email a copy of your visa (as a pdf or jpg file) to the Associate Dean, Co-op. Include it in the same email with your resume.
  4. All components of the application must be completed by 11:59 pm on the last day of lectures.

How do I choose my co-op sequence?

When applying for co-op, students must choose one of the co-op sequences listed below. International students studying on a student authorization visa must choose from sequence option 2 or 3, in order to allow enough time to obtain their temporary work visa. 

Students are responsible for ensuring that their choice of co-op sequence will allow completion of their academic course requirements.

Each of these sequences includes five co-op terms, which is the minimum number of successful co-op terms that are required for a co-op degree in Math. If, as part of your co-op education, you fail to successfully complete any of your scheduled co-op terms, you will be removed from co-op, as you will be unable to complete co-op degree requirements. A co-op term can be unsuccessful for several reasons, including not securing employment, receiving a failed work term due to poor job performance, or forfeiting a work term as part of a sequence change.


*W - work term

  Year 2021 2022 2023 2024 2025
  Term W S F W S F W S F W S F W S
Cdn Opt. 1 1A 1B 2A W1 2B W2 3A W3 3B W4 4A W5 4B  
Cdn/Intl Opt. 2 1A 1B off 2A W1 2B W2 3A W3 3B W4 4A W5 4B
Intl Opt. 3 1A 1B 2A 2B W1 3A W2 3B W3 4A W4 W5 4B  

Additional information

Interested students should read the following: