5 years, 2 degrees, 1 serious edge.
Combine your interests in business and math in this unique program, and gain 2 degrees in the time it normally takes to earn one co-op degree.
This double degree program combines Waterloo's strength in mathematics with the business expertise of nearby Wilfrid Laurier University.
You'll graduate with 2 prestigious degrees: a Bachelor of Mathematics (BMath) from Waterloo and a Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) from Laurier. Together, they give your résumé an enviable edge that will impress employers and prepare you to make your mark as a trader, analyst, executive, or entrepreneur.
Social and academic support
Looking for an upper-year mentor? A group study session? A stress-reducing game of paintball? You’ll find it all at the Math/Business Double Degree Club.
2 years of work experience
Your 5 co-op work terms will give you 20 months of paid work experience — and a major advantage when you launch your career.
About the program
Gain experience through the co-op program
Apply directly to this program on your application
Earn 2 degrees in 5 years
First Faculty of Mathematics in North America
Offered by the Faculty of Mathematics
Waterloo is an international leader in mathematics
- Ontario students: 6 Grade 12 U and/or M courses including
- Advanced Functions
- Calculus and Vectors
- Any Grade 12 U English
- One other 4U course
- Recommended: Grade 11 Introduction to Computer Science
- Admission averages: Individual selection from the high 80s
- An Admission Information Form is required for admission
- Not studying in Ontario? Search our admission requirements
To be considered for entrance scholarships in the Faculty of Mathematics, you must write one or both of the contests. If you complete both contests, we'll use the results of the contest in which you performed best.
You may also select the advanced-stream courses for algebra, calculus, and computer science if you meet the requirements.
September to December
MATH 135 - Algebra
MATH 137 - Calculus 1
Choose one of:
• CS 115 - Introduction to Computer Science
• CS 135 - Designing Functional Programs
BUS 111W - The Business Environment*
ECON 120W - Introduction to Microeconomics*
January to April
MATH 136 - Linear Algebra 1
MATH 138 - Calculus 2
Choose one of:
• CS 116 - Introduction to Computer Science 2
• CS 136 - Algorithm Design and Data Abstraction
BUS 121W - Functional Areas of the Organization*
ECON 140W - Introduction to Macroeconomics*
1 communication skills course
*These courses are taken at nearby Wilfrid Laurier University's School of Business and Economics.
After first year
You'll take business and economics courses at Laurier along with math courses at Waterloo. In upper years, you can choose to specialize in both the business and mathematics components of the program.
View a list of all the courses required for your degree.
Customize your degree
You can also add additional areas of interest and expertise by including a minor(s) or specialization as part of your degree.
Gain relevant work experience through co-op
By alternating school terms and paid co-op work terms throughout your degree, you can explore new career areas and types of employers as your career interests evolve.
Sample co-op job titles
- Technical Network Analyst
- Staff Accountant
- Support Solution Representative
- Finance Assistant
- Actuarial Analyst
- Audit Assistant
Sample co-op employers
- China Galaxy Securities Company Limited
- Fairfax Financial Holdings Ltd
- KPMG LLP
- Scotia Capital Inc
Possible professional designations
- Chartered Professional Accountant
- Chartered Financial Analyst
- Fellow of the Society of Actuaries
Learn more about Business Administration and Mathematics
- Visit the Business Administration and Mathematics Double Degree website
- Email our Mathematics recruitment co-ordinator, who can answer any questions about Business Administration and Mathematics Double Degree