Upon receipt of the Optometry application and transcripts, the Admissions Committee will conduct an initial review of your file. After the initial review, qualified applicants will be invited for an interview. Interview notification will be complete by the end of November. Interviews are conducted in January and will consist of multi mini interviews with faculty and members of the profession, round table discussion with our students and a tour of our facility. The interview is required and is a contributing factor in the admission decision. It allows the selection committee to assess essential skills and traits which may not be reflected in the application.
Not all applicants will receive an interview. Unfortunately, applicants who are not invited for an interview will no longer be considered for admission.
In the interview, consideration is given to knowledge of the profession, motivation toward a career in optometry, ability to think clearly and logically, poise, self-confidence, warmth and verbal expression of ideas.
If selected for an interview, the Admissions Committee uses the following criteria in determining an applicant’s academic and personal qualifications for admission:
- Undergraduate academic record - academic aptitude and performance
- OAT scores
- Academic awards
- Non-academic awards
- Work experience
- Volunteer experience
- Optometry-related experience
- Job shadowing an Optometrist
- Confidential Assessment Forms (References)
From these requirements, the committee is looking for:
- Evidence of ability to handle a course load of five courses (plus labs) per term, throughout their undergraduate education
- Service to the community and university, work experience and interpersonal skills
- To ensure an understanding of the profession of Optometry, we strongly encourage job shadowing with an optometrist which means observing eye exam
- Proof of academic ability and achievement as well as personal qualities, leadership, integrity, motivation, initiative, social awareness, well-rounded background, personality, ability to work with others and knowledge of the profession
- All offers of admission are conditional upon successful completion of the current academic year and requirements. Students admitted must maintain their level of academic performance. The Admissions Committee reserves the right to deny admission to an already admitted student if their academic performance falls below acceptable standards.
|First year class size||90||90||90||90|
Factors not considered by the admissions committee:
- University or Program of Study - The Admissions Committee does not look at the university or the program in science you choose to select
- No preference is shown to applicants at any particular level of training. However, a minimum of three years in a science program (in the third year when applying) is required
- Age, sex, race, religion, home province and sexual orientation are not factors considered in the selection process