The mission of the OD program is to graduate competent, ethical Doctors of Optometry by providing them with a comprehensive and contemporary optometric education.
Goals and objectives
The OD program mission is supported by the following program goals and objectives:
The Doctor of Optometry program will provide high quality optometric education which will prepare graduates to provide full-scope optometric services in an ethical and professional manner.
Objectives (supporting goal 1)
- Select candidates to enter the program, who are best equipped to complete the program successfully.
- Educate students, through lectures, laboratories, seminars, workshops and clinical placements to provide competent, ethical, full-scope, optometric services.
- Teach and encourage students by example to become caring practitioners, who are able to use a broad comprehensive biopsychosocial approach to the care of patients.
- Prepare students to take the optometric qualifying examinations in Canada and in other jurisdictions with similar scopes of practice.
The Doctor of Optometry program will provide an optometric foundation on which graduates will continue to build expertise and knowledge.
Objectives (supporting goal 2)
- Teach students to use a variety of resources during and after their optometric training to promote life-long learning.
- Encourage students to take part in research activities, optometric conferences and organizations.
- Provide students with the educational background required to pursue postgraduate studies.
The Doctor of Optometry program will prepare graduates to contribute to the advancement of the optometric profession.
Objectives (supporting goal 3)
- Educate students on the history of the profession of optometry and instill an enthusiasm for the future of optometry.
- Encourage students to develop an interest in leadership roles within the optometric profession and a concern for the highest quality of care given by the profession in Canada.
- Teach students about the role of other healthcare providers and the importance of a holistic and co-operative approach to eye and vision care.