Professor (cross-appointed with Physics and Electrical and Computer Engineering)
BSc (Madras), MSc (Madras), PhD (California at Berkeley), FOSA, FSPIE, F.Inst.P. FAAAS, FOSI, C.Phys.
Telephone: (519) 888-4567 ext. 38167
Fax: (519) 725-0784
Office: OPT 334
University of Madras, India; 1973-1976 (B.Sc. Physics, First Class)
University of Madras, India; 1976-1978 (M.Sc. Physics)
University of Oregon, Eugene; 1978-1979
University of California, Berkeley; 1979-1985 (PhD)
Professional and Academic appointments
2013-2014 Visiting Scholar, Dept. of Physics, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
2013-2014, Visiting Professor, Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Univ. Michigan
2013- Member, Academic Council, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore.
2011- present, Center for Bioengineering and Biotechnology, Univ. Waterloo
2010-2013 Associate, Michigan Center for Theoretical Physics, Ann Arbor, MI.
2007 Visiting professor, physics dept., Indian Institute of Technology, New Delhi
2006 – present, Professor, Optometry and Vision Science, Physics and Electrical& Computer Engineering
2005 Visitng Professor, Glasgow Caledonian University
2001-2005 “KITP Scholar”,Kavli Institute for Theoretical Physics, UC-Santa Barbara
1993-2006: Assistant and Associate Professor of Physics and Optometry, University of Missouri
1993-1994 Adjunct Associate Professor, Dept. of Cognitive Sciences, University of California, Irvine.
1991-1993 Principal Clinical Research Scientist: Allergan Therapeutics, Irvine, CA
1986-1991 Assistant Research Scientist: School of Optometry, University of California, Berkeley
Fellow: AAAS (2007), American Academy of Optometry (1988-2014), American Physical Society (2010), Institute of Physics, UK (1999), Optical Society of America (1998), Optical Society of India (2006), SPIE- International Society for Optical Engineering (2005).
2013 Keynote speaker, ETOP, Porto, Portugal, July 2013
2013 Finalist, AAAS Science and Technology Policy Fellowship
2013 OSA Visiting Lecturer, Ecole Superiore des Communication, Tunis, Tunisa
2013 OSA Visiting Lecturer, Universidad de Valle, Cali, Colomiba
2013: Esther Hoffman Beller medal, Optical Society of America
2013: Finalist, AAAS Science and Technology Policy Fellowship
2012: Senior Member, IEEE
2011: Optics Educator Award, SPIE
2006: Optics Medal, OSI award for distinguished contributions to Optics, Optical Society of India, biennial award.
2005: Citation for distinguished service and research, Elite School of Optometry, Chennai, India
2004: Royal Society of Edinburgh exchange visitor award
2001: Gulbenkian Foundation Fellow /Invited Professor, Universidade do Minho, Portugal (declined).
2000: Outstanding Optometric Educator, Beta Sigma Kappa, Optometric Honor Society, UMSL
1994, 1998,2007: Optical Society of America, Fellow Lecturer Award
1985: Post-doctoral award, National Institutes of Health USA (declined)
1984: University Fellow, University of California, Berkeley
1981-83 ,1984-85: Ezell Fellow of American Optometric Foundation
- M. Viana and V. Lakshminarayanan, Dihedral Fourier Analysis, Springer, Heidelberg, 2013
- V. Lakshminarayanan, M.L.Calvo, T.Aliyeva, Mathematical Optics; Classical, Quantum and Computational Methods, CRC/Taylor and Francis, Boca Raton, FL., 2012
- V.Sahni, V. Lakshminarayanan, D.P.Srivastava, Quantum Information Systems, McGraw Hill, New Delhi, 2011
- M.Bass, C.DeCusatis, J.M.Enoch, V.Lakshminarayanan, G.Li, C.Macdonald, V.Mahajan. E.Van Stryland, Handbook of Optics, 3rd Edition, 5 volumes, McGraw Hill, NY, 2010
- M.L.Calvo and V. Lakshminarayanan, Optical Waveguides: From Theory to Applied Technologies, CRC Press, Bocal Raton, FL., 2007.
Book Chapters (selected)
1.Lakshminaryanan V, Raghuram A, Visual Considerations for the Optical Engineer, In. Handbook of Optical Engineering, (ed.) W. Wolfe, SPIE Press, Bellingham, WA., pages 593-659, 2003.
2.Norton, T., Lakshminarayanan V. and Bassi C.J.: Visual Psychophysics: Spatial Vision in Psychophysical Foundations of visual function, , (ed.s). T. Norton, D.Corliss and J.E.Bailey, Butterworth Heinemann, Boston, 2002. Pages 137-176.
3. Lakshminarayanan V., Lenses and Optics of the Eye, Module 2, Active Learning in Optics and Photonics, Ed., D. Sokoloff, United Nations Educational, Cultural and Scientific Organization, Paris, Pages 81-106, 2006. (translated into French, Arabic and Spanish).
4. V. Lakshminarayanan, Light detection and sensitivity, Chapter 2.1.2, Handbook of Video Technology, ed. J.Chen et al, Springer Verlag, Berlin, 2012.
I am Technical Editor/Associate editor of a number of journals, including Optics Letters, Journal of Modern Optics, Clinical Optometry, American Journal of Biomedical Engineering, Optoelectronics and Photonics, Optics and Photonics News, Ophthalmology Research, Asian Journal of Physics, etc. I am also scientific reviewer for a number of journals, as well as NIH, A-STAR (Singapore funding agency), DFG(German funding agency), etc. and am a consultant to FDA.
I have worked in many areas of multidisciplinary science. I have over 300 publications (papers, conference proceedings, chapters, etc.) in areas ranging from molecular spectroscopy, biomedical engineering, applied mathematics, cognitive science and perception, optical science and engineering, science education/policy as well as in physiological optics/vision science.
Recent papers include:
1. V. Jayakumar, N.Hutchings,L. Jones, V. Lakshminarayanan, Are fluctuations in dynamic anterior surface aberrations of the human eye chaotic? Optics Letters, 38:5208-5211, 2013
2. M. Viana, V. Lakshminarayanan, Symmetry studies of refraction data, J. Mod. Optics, DOI: 10.1080/09500340.2013.871587, 2014.
3. V.Lakshminarayanan, Y,Lu, Lagrange: an analytic method for spectacle lens design, Proc. ICOL 2014, International Conference on Optics and Lasers, march 2014, page 40.
4. D.Thapa, K.Raahemifar, W.Bobier, V. Lakshminarayanan, A comparison of super-resolution algorithms applied to retinal images, J. Biomedical Optics, 19 (5), 056002 doi: 10.1117/1.JBO.19.5.056002, 2014.
5. V. Rajaram and V. Lakshminarayanan, Visual Attention deficits in reading disability, Opt. & Visual Performance, 1:141-148, 2013.
6 . V.Rajaram, V. Lakshminarayanan, A note on Image degradation, disability glare and binocular vision, J. Modern Optics, special issue on radiometry and Photometry, DOI: 10.1080/09500340.2013.826390, 2013.
7. V. Lakshminarayanan, "What Can We Teach Using Adaptive Optics?," in ETOP 2013 Proceedings, M. Costa and M. Zghal, eds., paper ETuC2.
http://www.opticsinfobase.org/abstract.cfm?URI=ETOP-2013-ETuC2 (Optical Society of America, 2013).
8. Z.Ben Lakhdar, S.Lahmar, V. Lakshminarayanan, Workshop on active learning: two examples, in ETOP 2013 Proceedings, M. Costa and M. Zghal, eds., paper EFA1. http://www.opticsinfobase.org/abstract.cfm?URI=ETOP-2013-EFA1 (Optical Society of America, 2013).
9. A. Yildrim , A. Gokdogan, M. Merdan and V. Lakshminarayanan, Numerical Approximations to Solution of Ray tracing through the crystalline lens, Chinese Physics Letters, 29: 074202, 2012
10. M.Ramamurthy, J. Hovis and V. Lakshminarayanan, Acceptability ratings for simulated image distortions of static images corresponding to different viewing angles for a flat panel display, Proceedings of CGIV, Pages 31-35, Society for Imaging Science and Technology, 2012.
11. S. Mohammadpour, A.Mehridehnavi, H.Rabbani, and V.Lakshminarayanan, A pre-compensation algorithm for different optical aberrations using an enhanced Wiener filter and edge tapering, Proc. 11th international conference on information science, signal processing and applications, IEEE, Pages 962-966, 2012.
12. V, Lakshminarayanan, The global problem of blindness and visual dysfunction, Photonic Innovations and Solutions for Complex Environments and Systems; invited paper. Proc. SPIE 8482, 10.1117/12.928050, 2012.
13. G. Ropars, A.LeFloch, J.M.Enoch, V. Lakshminarayanan, Direct naked eye detection of chiral and Faraday effects in white light, Europhysics Letters, 97: 64002 2012.
14.. V. Lakshminarayanan, A.Fleck, Zernike Polynomials: a guide, J. Mod. Optics, invited review, 58:545-561,2011.
15. V. Lakshminarayanan, Interactive lecture demonstrations, active learning, and the ALOP project, Proc. SPIE 8065, 80650S (2011); doi:10.1117/12.889508
16. G.Ropars, A.LeFloch, V. Lakshminarayanan, A depolarizer as a possible precise sunstone for Viking navigation by polarized skylight, Proc. Royal Society A, DOI: 10.1098/rspa.2011.0369; 2011 (This paper has received much media attention, including, BBC News, The Times, The Guardian, BBC Radio, German National Radio, Australian Broadcasting Corp., Science News, Popular Science, Discovery, etc.)
17. I.Ashraf, V. Lakshminarayanan, T.Mahmood, A modification of Grover’s quantum search algorithm, Photonics and Optoelectronics, 1: 20-24,2012.
Professional Service (selected)
1. Member, Board of Directors, Optical Society of America, 2002-2004.
2.Member, Member & Education Services Council, Optical Society of America, 1998-2001. Co-Chair, Forum on Education, 1999-2003. Vice-Chair, MES Council, 2000-2002; Chair, MES Council, 2002-2004
3. Member, United States Advisory Committee, International Commission on Optics, National Research Council. 2001-2003. Chair 2003-2005.
4. Founding Member, UNESCO working group on active learning in optics and photonics, 2003-present..
5. Member, United States delegation to IUPAP 25th general assembly (NAS/NRC Committee), Capetown, October 2005, 27th general assembly, London, October, 2011.
6. Member-at-large, United States IUPAP Committee, 2006-2011; member of steering committee, 2009-2011
7. Member, scholarships and awards committees, SPIE-International Society for Optical Engineering, 2007- ; Chair, Biomedical Optics sub-committee, 2007- 2009; Chair, Gabor Sub-committee, Member, education committee, 2009-; chair, developing nations sub-committee, 2012-
8. Chair, Special Publications Advisory Committee, OSA, 2006-2010;
9. Member, Forum on International Physics, American Physical Society, 2007-2011; Chair, Committee on International Scientific Affairs, APS, 2010-2011.
10. Member, International advisory committee, African LAM network, 2008- present.
11. Founding member, Trieste System Optical Sciences Advisory Committee, International Center for Theoretical Physics, Trieste, Italy, 2003-present.
12. Member, Steering Committee, International Year of Light 2015.