Professor (cross-appointed with Physics, Systems Design Engineering, and Electrical and Computer Engineering)
Telephone: (519) 888-4567 ext. 38167
Fax: (519) 725-0784
Office: OPT 334
University of Madras, India; 1973-1976 (B.Sc. Physics, First Class)
University of Madras, India; 1976-1978 (M.Sc. Physics)
University of Oregon, Eugene; 1978-1979
University of California, Berkeley; 1979-1985 (PhD)
Professional and Academic appointments
2016- Professor of Systems Design Engineering, University of Waterloo
2015- Adjunct Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Ryerson University, Toronto
2013-2016: Visiting Scholar, Dept. of Physics, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
2013-2014: Visiting Professor, Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Univ. Michigan
2013-Member, Academic Council, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore.
2011-Center for Bioengineering and Biotechnology, Univ. Waterloo
2010-2013: Associate, Michigan Center for Theoretical Physics, Ann Arbor, MI.
2007-Visiting professor, physics dept., Indian Institute of Technology, New Delhi
2006 –Present, Professor, Optometry and Vision Science, Physics and Electrical& Computer Engineering
2005-Visiting Professor, Glasgow Caledonian University
2001-2005: “KITP Scholar”,Kavli Institute for Theoretical Physics, UC-Santa Barbara
1993-2006: Assistant and Associate Professor of Physics and Optometry, University of Missouri
1993-1994: Adjunct Associate Professor, Dept. of Cognitive Sciences, University of California, Irvine.
1991-1993: Principal Clinical Research Scientist: Allergan Therapeutics, Irvine, CA
1986-1991: Assistant Research Scientist: School of Optometry, University of California, Berkeley
Fellow: AAAS (2007), American Academy of Optometry (1988-2014), American Physical Society (2010), Institute of Physics, UK (1999), Optical Society of America (1998), Optical Society of India (2006), SPIE- International Society for Optical Engineering (2005).
2016 Invited Speaker, International Year of Light closing ceremony, Merida,Mexico
2015 Invited Speaker, Jerome Wiesner Symposium, University of Michigan; Office of Research, Univ. of Michigan.
2015 Best Paper Award, Optronix 2015, Vacouver, BC. IEEE Photonics meeting.
2015 Invited Speaker, Heritage of Ibn al Haytham and the Golden Age of Islamic Science, UNESCO, 2015.
2014 Saturday Morning Physics Speaker, University of Michigan
2013 Keynote speaker, ETOP, Porto, Portugal, July 2013
2013 Finalist, AAAS Science and Technology Policy Fellowship
2013 Visiting Lecturer, Ecole Superiore des Communication, Tunis, Tunisa
2013 Visiting Lecturer, Universidad de Valle, Cali, Colomiba
2013 Esther Hoffman Beller medal, Optical Society of America
2012 Senior Member, IEEE
2011 Optics Educator Award, SPIE
2006 Optics Medal, OSI award for distinguished contributions to Optics, Optical Society of India, biennial award.
2005 Citation for distinguished service and research, Elite School of Optometry, Chennai, India
2004 Royal Society of Edinburgh exchange professor award
2001 Gulbenkian Foundation Fellow /Invited Professor, Universidade do Minho, Portugal (declined).
2000 Outstanding Optometric Educator, Beta Sigma Kappa, Optometric Honor Society, UMSL
1994, 1998, 2007, 2013 Optical Society of America, Fellow Lecturer Award
1985 Post-doctoral award, National Institutes of Health USA (declined)
1984 University Fellow, University of California, Berkeley
1981-83 ,1984-85 Ezell Fellow of American Optometric Foundation
Books (past 10 years)
- M. Viana and V. Lakshminarayanan, Dihedral Fourier Analysis, Springer, Heidelberg, 2013
- V. Lakshminarayanan, M.L.Calvo, T.Aliyeva, Mathematical Optics; Classical, Quantum and Computational Methods, CRC/Taylor and Francis, Boca Raton, FL., 2012
- V.Sahni, V. Lakshminarayanan, D.P.Srivastava, Quantum Information Systems, McGraw Hill, New Delhi, 2011
- M.Bass, C.DeCusatis, J.M.Enoch, V.Lakshminarayanan, G.Li, C.Macdonald, V.Mahajan. E.Van Stryland, Handbook of Optics, 3rd Edition, 5 volumes, McGraw Hill, NY, 2010
- M.L.Calvo and V. Lakshminarayanan, Optical Waveguides: From Theory to Applied Technologies, CRC Press, Bocal Raton, FL, 2007.
- V. Lakshminarayanan and I. Bhattacharya, Advances in Optical Sciences and Engineering, Springer, 2015.
- V. Lakshminarayanan and L.S.Varadharajan, Special Functions in Optical Science and Engineering, SPIE Publishers, Bellingham, WA, 2015.
Book Chapters (selected from last 10 years)
1. Lakshminarayanan V., Lenses and Optics of the Eye, Module 2, Active Learning in Optics and Photonics, Ed., D. Sokoloff, United Nations Educational, Cultural and Scientific Organization, Paris, Pages 81-106, 2006. (translated into French, Arabic and Spanish).
2. V. Lakshminarayanan, Light detection and sensitivity, Chapter 2.1.2, Handbook of Video Technology, ed. J.Chen et al, Springer Verlag, Berlin, 2012.
3. V.Lakshminarayanan, D.Thapa, H.Rabbani, K.Raahemifar, Compressive Sensing, Encyclopedia of Optics, ed. T. Brown, et al., Wiley, DOI: 10.1002/9783527600441.oe1020.
4. V. Lakshminarayanan and M.Ramamurthy, Human Vision and Perception, Handbook of Advanced Lighting Technology, Springer, DOI 10.1007/978-3-319-00295-8_46-1, 2015
5. J.Bertranpetit, J.Biegert and V. Lakshminarayanan, Fast, The Wonders of Light, ed. M. Garcia-Matos and L.Torner, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, Chapter 7, 2015.
I am Technical Editor/Associate editor of a number of journals, including Optics Letters, Journal of Modern Optics, Clinical Optometry, American Journal of Biomedical Engineering, Optoelectronics and Photonics, Optics and Photonics News, Ophthalmology Research, Asian Journal of Physics, etc. I am also an ad hoc scientific reviewer for a number of journals, as well as various review panels for NIH, A-STAR (Singapore funding agency), DFG(German funding agency), etc. and am a consultant to FDA.
I have worked in many areas of multidisciplinary science. I have over 300 publications (papers, conference proceedings, chapters, etc.) in areas ranging from molecular spectroscopy, biomedical engineering, applied mathematics, cognitive science and perception, optical science and engineering, science education/policy as well as in physiological optics/vision science.
Recent papers include:
1.V. Lakshminarayanan and A.C.McBride, The use of high technology in STEM education, Proc. SPIE, vol. 3793, eds. E.Cormier and L. Sargent,DOI: 10.1117/12.223062, 2015. Invited paper
2. D.Thapa, R.Raahemifar, V. Lakshminaryanan, Reduction of speckle noise from Optical Coherence Tomography images using multi-frame weighted nuclear norm minimization method J. Mod. Optics, special issue on OCJ. Modern Optics,. DOI: 10.1080/09500340.2015.1068392, 2015.
3. S. Nandy and V. Lakshminarayanan, Dark and bright soliton in nonlinear optical fiber using the decomposition method, J. Optics, DOI: 10.1007/s12596-015-0270-9, 2015.
4.D.Thapa, K.Raahemifar, W.Bobier, V. Lakshminarayanan, A comparative survey of super-resolution algorithms, Comp. Elec. Engineering, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.compeleceng.2015.09.011, 2015
5.S.Mohanty, V.Lakshminarayanan, Optical Techniques in Optogenetics, DOI: 10.1080/09500340.2015.1010620 , Invited Journal of Modern Optics, 2015.
6. N.Sharma, V. Lakshmianrayanan, Retinal Response to Departure from Perfect Power Coupling: Implications for the Stiles Crawford Effect, J. Mod. Optics, DOI: 10.1080/09500340.2015.1014439, 2015.
7. D.Thapa, K.Raahemifar, V. Lakshminarayanan, Less is More; Compressive Sensing, invited paper, J. Mod. Optics, DOI: 10.1080/09500340.2014.966793, 2014
8.A.Ommani, D.Thapa, N.Hutchings, V. Lakshminarayanan, The impact of pupil scaling on the estimation of aberrations with natural pupils, Optom. Vision Sci., 91: 117511182, 2014
9. G.Ropars, A.LeFloch, V. Lakshminarayanan, The Sunstone and polarized skylight: ancient Viking navigational tools?, Contemp. Physics, DOI: 10.1080/00107514.2014.929797,2014.
10. V. Jayakumar, N.Hutchings,L. Jones, V. Lakshminarayanan, Are fluctuations in dynamic anterior surface aberrations of the human eye chaotic? Optics Letters, 38:5208-5211, 2013
11. M. Viana, V. Lakshminarayanan, Symmetry studies of refraction data, J. Mod. Optics, DOI: 10.1080/09500340.2013.871587, 2014.
12. D.Thapa, K.Raahemifar, W.Bobier, V. Lakshminarayanan, A comparison of super-resolution algorithms applied to retinal images, J. Biomedical Optics, 19 (5), 056002 doi: 10.1117/1.JBO.19.5.056002, 2014
13.V. Rajaram and V. Lakshminarayanan, Visual Attention deficits in reading disability, Opt. & Visual Performance, 1:141-148, 2013.
14. V.Rajaram, V. Lakshminarayanan, A note on Image degradation, disability glare and binocular vision, J. Modern Optics, special issue on radiometry and Photometry, DOI: 10.1080/09500340.2013.826390, 2013.
15. A. Yildrim , A. Gokdogan, M. Merdan and V. Lakshminarayanan, Numerical Approximations to Solution of Ray tracing through the crystalline lens, Ch. Physics Letters, 29: 074202, 2012
16. M.Ramamurthy, J. Hovis and V. Lakshminarayanan, Acceptability ratings for simulated image distortions of static images corresponding to different viewing angles for a flat panel display, Proceedings of CGIV, Pages 31-35, Society for Imaging Science and Technology, 2012.
17. V, Lakshminarayanan, The global problem of blindness and visual dysfunction, Photonic Innovations and Solutions for Complex Environments and Systems; invited paper. Proc. SPIE 8482, 10.1117/12.928050, 2012.
18. G. Ropars, A.LeFloch, J.M.Enoch, V. Lakshminarayanan, Direct naked eye detection of chiral and Faraday effects in white light, Europhysics Letters, 97: 64002 2012.
19. V. Lakshminarayanan, A.Fleck, Zernike Polynomials: a guide, J. Mod. Optics, invited review, 58:545-561,2011.
20. G.Ropars, A.LeFloch, V. Lakshminarayanan, A depolarizer as a possible precise sunstone for Viking navigation by polarized skylight, Proc. Royal Society A, DOI: 10.1098/rspa.2011.0369; 2011 (This paper has received much media attention, including, BBC News, The London Times, The Guardian, BBC Radio, German National Radio, Australian Broadcasting Corp., Science News, Popular Science, Discovery, etc.).
Professional Service (selected)
1. Member, Board of Directors, Optical Society of America, 2002-2004.
2.Member, Member & Education Services Council, Optical Society of America, 1998-2001. Co-Chair, Forum on Education, 1999-2003. Vice-Chair, MES Council, 2000-2002; Chair, MES Council, 2002-2004
3. Member, United States Advisory Committee, International Commission on Optics, National Research Council. 2001-2003. Chair 2003-2005.
4. Founding Member, UNESCO working group on active learning in optics and photonics, 2003-present..
5. Member, United States delegation to IUPAP 25th general assembly (NAS/NRC Committee), Capetown, October 2005, 27th general assembly, London, October, 2011.
6. Member-at-large, United States IUPAP Committee, 2006-2011; member of steering committee, 2009-2011
7. Member, scholarships and awards committees, SPIE-International Society for Optical Engineering, 2007- ; Chair, Biomedical Optics sub-committee, 2007- 2009; Chair, Gabor Sub-committee, Member, education committee, 2009-; chair, developing nations sub-committee, 2012- ; chair, education committee, 2015-2017; member, Strategic Planning Committee, SPIE, 2015-2017.
8. Chair, Special Publications Advisory Committee, OSA, 2006-2010;
9. Member, Forum on International Physics, American Physical Society, 2007-2011; Chair, Committee on International Scientific Affairs, APS, 2010-2011.
10. Member, International advisory committee, African LAM network, 2008- present.
11. Founding member, Trieste System Optical Sciences Advisory Committee, International Center for Theoretical Physics, Trieste, Italy, 2003-present.
12. Member, Steering Committee, International Year of Light 2015.
13. Organizer ( with H.A.Neal, et al., ) Wiesner Symposium on Role of the University in Science Policy, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, March 2015
1. Heritage of Ibn al Haytham and Islamic Golden Age of Science https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmzDkoKbfUw , UNESCO, 2015
2. American Institute of Physics International Year of Light, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcoMeWV0jZc, 2015
3. Saturday Morning Physics, University of Michigan, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wQ4WlJxc2c, 2014
4. Radio Interview, BBC 4; https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b016ljj2, 2011