Professor (cross-appointed with Physics, Systems Design Engineering, and Electrical and Computer Engineering)
Telephone: (519) 888-4567 ext. 38167
Mobile: +1 202-460-3995
Office: OPT 334
University of Madras, India; 1973-1976 (B.Sc. Physics, First Class)
University of Madras, India; 1976-1978 (M.Sc. Physics)
University of Oregon, Eugene; 1978-1979
University of California, Berkeley; 1979-1985 (PhD)
Professional and Academic appointments
2017 , 2020 International Visiting Professor of Biophotonics, Dept. of Information Engineering, Università degli Studi di Brescia, Italy.
2016 GIAN Professor of Physics, Dept. of Physics, Indian Institute of Technology, Madras
2016- Professor of Systems Design Engineering, University of Waterloo
2015- Adjunct Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Ryerson University, Toronto
2013-2016: Visiting Scholar, Dept. of Physics, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
2013-2014: Visiting Professor, Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Univ. Michigan
2013-Member, Academic Council, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore.
2011-Center for Bioengineering and Biotechnology, Univ. Waterloo
2010-2013: Associate, Michigan Center for Theoretical Physics, Ann Arbor, MI.
2007-Visiting professor, physics dept., Indian Institute of Technology, New Delhi
2006 –Present, Professor, Optometry and Vision Science, Physics and Electrical& Computer Engineering
2005-Visiting Professor, Glasgow Caledonian University
2001-2005: “KITP Scholar”,Kavli Institute for Theoretical Physics, UC-Santa Barbara
1993-2006: Assistant and Associate Professor of Physics and Optometry, University of Missouri
1993-1994: Adjunct Associate Professor, Dept. of Cognitive Sciences, University of California, Irvine.
1991-1993: Principal Clinical Research Scientist: Allergan Therapeutics, Irvine, CA
1986-1991: Assistant Research Scientist: School of Optometry, University of California, Berkeley
Honors (selected, Past 8 years)
Fellow: AAAS (2007), American Academy of Optometry (1988-2014), American Physical Society (2010), Institute of Physics, UK (1999), Optical Society of America (1998), Optical Society of India (2006), SPIE- International Society for Optical Engineering (2005).
2019 OSA Fellow Lecturer, University College Dublin, Ireland
2018 Inaugural speaker, The Dr.S.S.Badrinath Oration, Indian Eye Research Group – Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology
2017 SPIE Lecturer, Optoelectronics Research Center, University of Southampton, UK
2016 Invited Speaker, International Year of Light closing ceremony, Merida,Mexico
2015 Invited Speaker, Jerome Wiesner Symposium, University of Michigan; Office of Research, Univ. of Michigan.
2015 Best Paper Award, Optronix 2015, Vacouver, BC. IEEE Photonics meeting.
2015 Invited Speaker, Heritage of Ibn al Haytham and the Golden Age of Islamic Science, UNESCO, 2015.
2014 Saturday Morning Physics Speaker, University of Michigan
2013 Keynote speaker, ETOP, Porto, Portugal, July 2013
2013 Finalist, AAAS Science and Technology Policy Fellowship
2013 Visiting Lecturer, Ecole Superiore des Communication, Tunis, Tunisa
2013 Visiting Lecturer, Universidad de Valle, Cali, Colomiba
2013 Esther Hoffman Beller medal, Optical Society of America
2012 Senior Member, IEEE
2011 Optics Educator Award, SPIE
Books (past 8 years)
- M. Viana and V. Lakshminarayanan, Dihedral Fourier Analysis, Springer, Heidelberg, 2013
- V. Lakshminarayanan, M.L.Calvo, T.Aliyeva, Mathematical Optics; Classical, Quantum and Computational Methods, CRC/Taylor and Francis, Boca Raton, FL., 2012
- V.Sahni, V. Lakshminarayanan, D.P.Srivastava, Quantum Information Systems, McGraw Hill, New Delhi, 2011
- M.Bass, C.DeCusatis, J.M.Enoch, V.Lakshminarayanan, G.Li, C.Macdonald, V.Mahajan. E.Van Stryland, Handbook of Optics, 3rd Edition, 5 volumes, McGraw Hill, NY, 2010
- V. Lakshminarayanan and I. Bhattacharya, Advances in Optical Sciences and Engineering, Springer, 2015.
- V. Lakshminarayanan and L.S.Varadharajan, Special Functions in Optical Science and Engineering, SPIE Press, Bellingham, WA, 2016.
- V. Lakshminarayanan, H.Ghalila, A.Amar and L.S.Varadharajan, Understanding Optics with Python, CRC Press/Taylor and Francis, 2018.
- R.Rashed, A.Boudrioua, V. Lakshminarayanan, Light Based Science: Technology and Sustainable Development, Taylor and Francis/CRC Press, 2017.
- K. Srinivasa Rao and V. Lakshminarayanan, Generalized Hypergeometric Functions: Transformations and Group Theoretical Aspects, Institute of Physics Publishing, Bristol, UK, 2018.
- M. Viana and V. Lakshminarayanan, Symmetry in Optics and Vision Studies, CRC Press/Taylor and Francis, submitted, Fall 2019.
Book Chapters (selected)
- Lakshminarayanan V., Lenses and Optics of the Eye, Module 2, Active Learning in Optics and Photonics, Ed., D. Sokoloff, United Nations Educational, Cultural and Scientific Organization, Paris, Pages 81-106, 2006. (translated into French, Arabic and Spanish).
- V. Lakshminarayanan, Light detection and sensitivity, Chapter 2.1.2, Handbook of Video Technology, ed. J.Chen et al, Springer Verlag, Berlin, 2012.
- V.Lakshminarayanan, D.Thapa, H.Rabbani, K.Raahemifar, Compressive Sensing, Encyclopedia of Optics, ed. T. Brown, et al., Wiley, DOI: 10.1002/9783527600441.oe1020, 2015
- V. Lakshminarayanan and M.Ramamurthy, Human Vision and Perception, Handbook of Advanced Lighting Technology, Springer, DOI 10.1007/978-3-319-00295-8_46-1, 2015
- J.Bertranpetit, J.Biegert and V. Lakshminarayanan, Fast, The Wonders of Light, ed. M. Garcia-Matos and L.Torner, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, Chapter 7, 2015.
- H. Leopold, J.Zelek, V. Lakshminarayanan, Deep Learning Methods Applied to Retinal Image Analysis in Biomedical signal processing in big data, ed. E.Sejdic and T.Falk, CRC Press, 2018
- K. Dhakal, V. Lakshminarayanan, Optical Tweezers: Fundamentals and some Biophysical Applications, Progress in Optics, Vol. 63, ed. T. Visser, Pages 1-28, 2018.
I am/have been Technical Editor/Associate editor of a number of journals, including Optics Letters, Journal of Modern Optics, Clinical Optometry, American Journal of Biomedical Engineering, Optoelectronics and Photonics, Optics and Photonics News, Ophthalmology Research, Asian Journal of Physics, etc. I am the editor of the book series ‘Multidisciplinary and Applied Optics(Taylor and Francis) and on the Editorial Advisory Board of De Gruyter Open Access. I am also an ad hoc scientific reviewer for a number of journals, as well as various review panels for NIH, A-STAR (Singapore funding agency), DFG(German funding agency),NSERC (Canada), etc. and am a consultant to FDA (Ophthalmic and Medical Devices).
I have worked in many areas of multidisciplinary science. I have over 350 publications (papers, conference proceedings, chapters, etc.) in areas ranging from molecular spectroscopy, biomedical engineering, applied mathematics, cognitive science and perception, optical science and engineering, science education/policy as well as in physiological optics/vision science/ophthalmology/optometry.
Selected papers include (past 6 years):
1.V. Labishetty, W.Bobier, V. Lakshminarayanan, Is 25Hz enough to accurately measure a dynamic change in ocular accommodation? J. Optometry, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.optom.2018.02/001 , 2018.
2.. A. Gueddana and V. Lakshminarayanan, Physical feasibility of QKDP based on probabilistic quantum circuits, IET Information Security, DOI: 10.1049/iet-ifs.2017.0375, 2018.
3J.R Ehrlich, L.Ojeda, D.Wicker,A.Howson, V. Lakshminarayanan, S. Moroi, Head-Mounted Display Technology for Low Vision Rehabilitation and Vision Enhancement, American Journal of Ophthalmology, invited, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ajo.2016.12.021, 2017.
3. H.Leopold, J.Orchard, J.Zelek, V.Lakshminarayanan, Segmentation and Feature Extraction of Retinal Vascular Morphology, Proc. SPIE 10133, Medical Imaging: Image Processing, 101330V; doi:10.1117/12.2253744 , 2017.
4. . K.Hoschel, V. Lakshminarayanan, Genetic algorithms for lens design, J. Optics, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12596-018-0497-3, 2018.
5.H.Leopold,, J.Orchard, J.Zelek, V.Lakshminarayanan, Use of Gabor filters and Deep Networks in the Segmentation of Retinal Vessel Morphology, Proc. SPIE 10068, Imaging, Manipulation, and Analysis of Biomolecules, Cells, and Tissues XV, 100680R; doi:10.1117/12. 2017
6.A.Almazroa, W.Sun, S.Alodhayb, K.Raahemifar, V. Lakshminarayanan, Optic Disc Segmentation: Level Set Methods and Blood Vessels Inpainting, Medical Imaging 2017: Imaging Informatics for Healthcare, Research, and Applications, edited by Tessa S. Cook, Jianguo Zhang, Proc. SPIE Vol. 10138, 1013806, doi: 10.1117/12.2254174, 2017
7.H.Ghalila, A. Ammar, S. Varadharajan,Y. Majdi , S.Lahmar, M.Zghal and V. Lakshminarayanan “Optics Simulations: A Python Workshop”, 14th Conference on Education and Training in Optics and Photonics: Proc. SPIE Vol. 10452, 1045218, doi: 10.1117/12.2268377, 2017.
8.M.K.Parthasarathy and V. Lakshminarayanan, A brief history of aberrometry applications in vision science, Recent Advances in Optical Science and Engineering, Optronix III, Springer, Pages 31-39. 2017.
9.V. Lakshminarayanan, Contributions of Early Arab Scholars to color science, Light in Nature VI, Proc SPIE 10367, DOI: 10.1117/12.2272724 , 2017.
10.A.Almazroa, W,Sun, S.Alodhayb, K.Raahemifar, V.Lakshminarayanan, Optic disk segmentation for glaucoma screening system using fundus images. Clinical Ophthalmology, 11:2017-2029, 2017
11. H.Leopold, J.Orchard, J.Zelek, V.Lakshminarayanan, Segmentation and Feature Extraction of Retinal Vascular Morphology, Proc. SPIE 10133, Medical Imaging 2017: Image Processing, 101330V; doi:10.1117/12.2253744;
12. M.J.Purcell, M.Kumar,S.Rand, V. Lakshminarayanan, Holographic imaging through a scattering medium by diffuser-aided statistical averaging, J.Opt.Soc.Am. A., 33:1291-1297 , 2016
13. A.Bakroon, V. Lakshminarayanan, Visual Function in Autism Spectrum Disorders, Exp. Clin. Optometry, DOI:10.1111/cxo.12383, 2016.
14.V. Lakshminarayanan & M.K. Parthasarathy, Biomimetic optics: visual systems, J. Modern Optics, DOI: 10.1080/09500340.2016.1224939, 2016.
15.A.Almazroa, S.Alodhayb, E.Osman, E.Ramadan, M.Hummadi, M.Dlaim, M.Alkatee, K.Raahemifar, V. Lakshminarayanan, Agreement between ophthalmologists in marking the optic disc and optic cup in fundus images, Int. Ophthalmol., DOI 10.1007/s10792-016-0329-x 2016
16.V. Lakshminarayanan, H.Ghalila, L.S.Varadharajan, A.Ammar, The role of simulations in optics education, Optics Education and Outreach IV, Proc. SPIE Vol. 9946, 99460N, DOI: 10.1117/12.2236159, 2016
17. M. Jamshedi,H.Rabbani,Z.Amini,R.Kafieh,A.Ommani and V.Lakshminarayanan Automatic Detection of the Optic Disk of the Retina: A New Method, J. Med. Signals and Sensors, 6:57-63, 2016.
18.A. Almazroa, S. Alodhayb, R. Burman, W. Sun, K. Raahemifar, V. Lakshminarayanan, Optic Cup Segmentation Based on Extracting Blood Vessel Kinks and Cup Thresholding Using type-II Fuzzy Approach, Proc. 2nd international Conference on Opto-Electronics, Vancouver, BC,IEEE Explore, DOI: 10.1109/OPTRONIX.2015.7345519 2016; Best paper award.
19.A Gopalakrishnan, A.Almazroa, K.Raahemifar, V.Lakshminarayanan, Optic Disc Segmentation using Circular Hough Transform and Curve Fitting, Proc. 2nd international Conference on Opto-Electronics, Vancouver, BC., IEEE Explore, DOI: 10.1109/OPTRONIX.2015.7345530 2016.
20.C. Thatiparthi, A. Ommani, R. Burman, D. Thapa, N.Hutchings and V. Lakshminarayanan, Comparison of Performance of Some Common Hartmann-Shack Centroid Estimation Methods, BIOS, Proc. SPIE. 9693, Ophthalmic Technologies XXVI, 969321. doi: 10.1117/12.2219857, 2016.
21.V. Lakshminarayanan and A.C.McBride, The use of high technology in STEM education, Proc. SPIE, vol. 3793, DOI: 10.1117/12.223062, 2015. Invited paper
22. D.Thapa, R.Raahemifar, V. Lakshminaryanan, Reduction of speckle noise from Optical Coherence Tomography images using multi-frame weighted nuclear norm minimization method J. Mod. Optics, special issue on OCT. J. Modern Optics,. DOI: 10.1080/09500340.2015.1068392, 2015.
23. S. Nandy and V. Lakshminarayanan, Dark and bright soliton in nonlinear optical fiber using the decomposition method, J. Optics, DOI: 10.1007/s12596-015-0270-9, 2015.
24..D.Thapa, K.Raahemifar, W.Bobier, V. Lakshminarayanan, A comparative survey of super-resolution algorithms, Comp. Elec. Engineering, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.compeleceng.2015.09.011, 2015
25.S.Mohanty, V.Lakshminarayanan, Optical Techniques in Optogenetics, DOI: 10.1080/09500340.2015.1010620 , Invited, Journal of Modern Optics, 2015.
26. N.Sharma, V. Lakshmianrayanan, Retinal Response to Departure from Perfect Power Coupling: Implications for the Stiles Crawford Effect, J. Mod. Optics, DOI: 10.1080/09500340.2015.1014439, 2015.
27. D.Thapa, K.Raahemifar, V. Lakshminarayanan, Less is More; Compressive Sensing, invited paper, J. Mod. Optics, DOI: 10.1080/09500340.2014.966793, 2014
28.A.Ommani, D.Thapa, N.Hutchings, V. Lakshminarayanan, The impact of pupil scaling on the estimation of aberrations with natural pupils, Optom. Vision Sci., 91: 117511182, 2014
29.G.Ropars, A.LeFloch, V. Lakshminarayanan, The Sunstone and polarized skylight: ancient Viking navigational tools?, Contemp. Physics, DOI: 10.1080/00107514.2014.929797,2014.
30. V. Jayakumar, N.Hutchings,L. Jones, V. Lakshminarayanan, Are fluctuations in dynamic anterior surface aberrations of the human eye chaotic? Optics Letters, 38:5208-5211, 2013
31. M. Viana, V. Lakshminarayanan, Symmetry studies of refraction data, J. Mod. Optics, DOI: 10.1080/09500340.2013.871587, 2014.
32. D.Thapa, K.Raahemifar, W.Bobier, V. Lakshminarayanan, A comparison of super-resolution algorithms applied to retinal images, J. Biomedical Optics, 19 (5), 056002 doi: 10.1117/1.JBO.19.5.056002, 2014
33.V. Rajaram and V. Lakshminarayanan, Visual Attention deficits in reading disability, Opt. & Visual Performance, 1:141-148, 2013.
34. V.Rajaram, V. Lakshminarayanan, A note on Image degradation, disability glare and binocular vision, J. Modern Optics, special issue on radiometry and Photometry, DOI: 10.1080/09500340.2013.826390, 2013.
Professional Service (selected)
1. Member, Board of Directors, Optical Society of America, 2002-2004.
2.Member, Member & Education Services Council, Optical Society of America, 1998-2001. Co-Chair, Forum on Education, 1999-2003. Vice-Chair, MES Council, 2000-2002; Chair, MES Council, 2002-2004
3. Member, United States Advisory Committee, International Commission on Optics, National Research Council. 2001-2003. Chair 2003-2005.
4. Founding Member, UNESCO working group on active learning in optics and photonics, 2003-present..
5. Member, United States delegation to IUPAP 25th general assembly (NAS/NRC Committee), Capetown, October 2005, 27th general assembly, London, October, 2011.
6. Member-at-large, United States IUPAP Committee, 2006-2011; member of steering committee, 2009-2011
7. Member, scholarships and awards committees, SPIE-International Society for Optical Engineering, 2007- 2018; Chair, Biomedical Optics sub-committee, 2007- 2009; 2013-2018 Chair, Gabor Sub-committee, Member, education committee, 2009-2017; chair, developing nations sub-committee, 2012-2015 ; chair, education committee, 2015-2017; member, Strategic Planning Committee, SPIE, 2015-2017.
8. Chair, Special Publications Advisory Committee, OSA, 2006-2010;
9. Member, Forum on International Physics, American Physical Society, 2007-2011; Chair, Committee on International Scientific Affairs, APS, 2010-2011.
10. Member, Public Policy Committee, American Physical Society, 2017-2020
11. Member, International advisory committee, African LAM network, 2008- present.
12. Founding member, Trieste System Optical Sciences Advisory Committee, International Center for Theoretical Physics, Trieste, Italy, 2003-present.
13. Member, International Organizing Committee, International Year of Light, UNESCO, 2013-2016.
14. Organizer (with H.A.Neal, et al.) Wiesner Symposium on Role of the University in Science Policy, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, March 2015.
15. Member, International Day of Light Planning committee, UNESCO, 2017-2018
16. Membership committee, APS, 2019-2022
17. Member, CIFS committee, APS, 2017-2020
Social Media (selected, past 5 years):
1. Heritage of Ibn al Haytham and Islamic Golden Age of Science https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmzDkoKbfUw , UNESCO, 2015
2. American Institute of Physics International Year of Light, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcoMeWV0jZc, 2015
3. Saturday Morning Physics, University of Michigan, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wQ4WlJxc2c, 2014