Last week was PxP, Canada’s largest pharmacy conference. Hosted by the Canadian Pharmacists Association (CPhA) and the Ontario Pharmacists Association (OPA), the conference connected pharmacists and pharmacy students from across Canada for two days of education, networking, and celebration.
Waterloo Pharmacy faculty, staff, students, and alumni were well-represented among conference attendees, presenters, and award winners. CPhA and OPA both issue annual awards recognizing outstanding contributions to pharmacy practice, and this year a number of the award winners had a connection to Waterloo Pharmacy.
The following students and alumni received awards:
- Naushin Hooda – OPA Student of Distinction Award: Naushin is a driven and successful fourth year student who has held numerous leadership roles in student clubs, including founding the first student chapter of the Canadian Association of Pharmacy in Oncology. She has received many awards recognizing her leadership and is a vocal advocate for expanding pharmacist scope.
- Michael Kani – CPhA New Practitioner Award: Michael is an Rx2014 alumnus who owns and operates a leading-edge community pharmacy in Saskatoon. He has implemented numerous valuable clinical services, such as medical cannabis consultation and pharmacogenomics testing, to benefit his patients.
- Cory Sydorenko – OPA Outstanding New Practitioner of the Year Award: Cory is a Rx2016 alumnus who has developed valuable clinical services and programs, such as a long-acting antipsychotic pharmacy depot program, at the Frontenac Medical Pharmacy in Kingston where he is a pharmacy manager.
Nastaran Keshmiri, third year pharmacy student, also received the CPhA Centennial Leadership Award. One student from each pharmacy school in Canada receives these awards in honour of leadership contributions.
Waterloo Pharmacy would also like to congratulate the following pharmacists who support our School and students in various capacities:
- Diane Meehan – OPA Patient Impact Award: Diane is a preceptor for Waterloo Pharmacy students that complete the unique fourth year rotation experience on Manitoulin Island.
- John Papastergiou – OPA Achievement in Research: John has served as a co-op supervisor and preceptor of fourth-year rotation students. He is also an adjunct faculty member with Waterloo Pharmacy.
- Sherry Peister – CPhA Meritorious Service Award: Sherry is a long-time friend of Waterloo Pharmacy who has, independently or through her role as Chair of Green Shield Canada, supported numerous School initiatives. She has been involved with Waterloo Pharmacy since its beginning, serving as a member of the Director’s Advisory Committee.
Waterloo Pharmacy also used the PxP conference to recognize an outstanding co-op supervisor and a preceptor: Mark Pasetka received the 2018 Co-op Supervisor of the Year Award and Phil Hauser received the 2018 Preceptor of the Year Award.
Congratulations to all award winners!