Dr. Richard completed her undergraduate degree in pharmacy at Dalhousie University, and has experience in community pharmacy. She completed her PhD in Pharmacology at Dalhousie University, and then studied vitamin D’s anti-cancer activity during a post-doctoral research fellowship at the University of Guelph. She was an Adjunct Clinical Assistant Professor at the University of Waterloo School of Pharmacy from 2009-2013, where she has taught courses related to natural health products, nutrition, pharmacology, self-care, and drug analysis, and is now a Clinical Lecturer with responsibility for oversight of the Professional Practice Program. She is also Associate Director, Curriculum for the undergraduate Pharmacy program.
Office: Phr 5006
Phone: 519-888-4567, ext. 21345
- natural health products
- scholarship of teaching and learning
Dr. Richard has responsibility for the oversight of the Professional Practice series of courses and labs. She also leads the School’s OSCE program. Courses taught and coordinated in recent years include:
- PHARM 229: Professional Practice 4
- PHARM 366: Concepts in Nutritional Sciences
- PHARM 401: Independent Study
Dr. Richard is the Associate Director, Curriculum, and was formerly the Teaching Fellow for the School of Pharmacy. As such, she is responsible for fostering a culture of teaching at the School marked by an interest in engaging students and a commitment to professional development.
To further this end, Dr. Richard is actively involved in scholarship of teaching and learning research. Presentations in this field include:
- Grindrod K, Richard C. Using a fictional malpractice case to build documentation skills. Oral presentation at Canadian Pharmacy Education and Reference (CPERC) 2019. June 2019. Edmonton, Canada.
- Kennie-Kaulbach N, Richard C, Charrois T, Cassidy J, Jorgenson D. Survey of skills lab courses for pharmacy programs in Canada. Oral presentation at Canadian Pharmacy Education and Reference (CPERC) 2018. June 2018. Ottawa, Canada.
- Richard CL, Joyes C, Killeen R, Wellington C, Madill J. Assessing nutrition risk in the community: a pilot workshop connecting pharmacists and dietitians. Oral presentation at Waterloo Wellington Clinical Research and Quality Improvement Symposium, May 2018, Kitchener, ON, Canada.
- Nagge J, Houle S, Killeen RM, Richard C, Lippens M. A blended learning course for prospective anticoagulation providers: evaluation and insights. International Pharmaceutical Federation World Congress, September 2018. Glasgow, Scotland.
- Richard CL, Rigby AH, Edginton AN. Establishment of a 2nd year midpoint assessment to identify students for remediation. Canadian Pharmacy Education and Reference (CPERC) 2016. June 2016. Richmond, BC, Canada.
- Lille E, Nagge J, Richard C, Waite N. A prescription for success: creating a safe environment for curricular innovation. Oral presentation at University of Waterloo Teaching and Learning Conference Opportunities and New Directions 2016. April 2016. Waterloo, ON, Canada.
- Richard C, Spagnuolo P. Nutrition education in the PharmD curriculum at the University of Waterloo school of Pharmacy. Oral presentation at Breaking Bread with SWAHN: Nutrition Research and Innovation Symposium. April 2015. London ON, Canada.
- Schneider EF, Richard CL, Lillie E. Performance-based assessment using Objective Structured Clinical Exams (OSCEs) at the University of Waterloo School of Pharmacy. AACP/AFPC Annual Meeting 2015. July 2015. National Harbor, MD, United States.
- Schneider EF, Richard CL, Lillie E. Performance of a high-stakes OSCE at a Canadian pharmacy school. AACP/AFPC Annual Meeting 2015. July 2015. National Harbor, MD, United States.
- Guirguis F, Andrade R, Beck C, Ellen D, Slivecka Jennifer, Richard C. Partners in Pharmacy: an intraprofessional educational event with pharmacy and pharmacy technician students. Currents in Pharmacy Teaching and Learning 2020; 12(3):302-306.
Richard CL, Spagnuolo P. Complementary and Alternative Therapies. Compendium of Therapeutics for Minor Ailments 2019 (CTMA 2019). Appendix I. Canadian Pharmacists Association. 2019.
Nagge J, Lee-Poy MF, Richard CL Evaluation of a unique interprofessional education program involving medical and pharmacy students. American Journal of Pharmacy Education 2017; Volume 81, Issue 10, Article 6140.
Houle S, Lillie E, Richard CL. Addressing Professionalism in Both Formative and Summative Simulated Patient Care Activities – Experience with a Discretionary Deduction Approach. Currents in Pharmacy Teaching and Learning Volume 10, Issue 9, September 2018, Pages 1243-1247.
Richard CL, Lillie E, Mathias K, McFarlane T. Peer Review of Teaching in a Canadian Pharmacy School: Attitudes and Impact on Teaching Practice. American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education 2019; Volume 83, Issue 6, Article 6828.
Fernandes HVK, Richard C, Bynkoski K, Ewan B, Houle S. Check-In: An educational activity to address well-being and burnout among pharmacy students. Pharmacy 2020; 8(4): 184.
Houle SKD, Lillie E, Richard CL, Slivecka J, Miller A. The design and impact of an interprofessional education event among pharmacy and nursing students in palliative care – RnRx. Journal of Hospice and Palliative Nursing 2020; 22(4):292-297.
Awards and Distinctions
2020 University of Waterloo Distinguished Teacher Award
2020 Student Support Recognition Award, University of Waterloo School of Pharmacy
2019 Student Support Recognition Award, University of Waterloo School of Pharmacy
2019 Outstanding Performance Award, University of Waterloo
2017 Student Support Recognition Award, University of Waterloo School of Pharmacy
2012 Excellence in Science Teaching Award, University of Waterloo
2011 Student Support Recognition Award, University of Waterloo School of Pharmacy
Professional Associations and Service
- 2018-present: Member of University of Waterloo Complementary Teaching Assessment Project Team
- 2015-2019: Member of Faculty of Science Teaching Fellows
- 2011-present: Chief Administrator, Pharmacy Examining Board of Canada Qualifying Examination, Part II (OSCE), Kitchener-Waterloo
- 2012-2013 & 2017-2018: Conference program planning co-chair Canadian Pharmacy Education and Research Conference, Association of Faculties of Pharmacy of Canada, Niagara-on-the-Lake (2013)/Ottawa (2018)
- 2015-2019: Member of Association of Faculties of Pharmacy of Canada Council of Faculties
The following news stories have featured Dr. Richard's work:
- June 23, 2020: Prof. Cynthia Richard is first Pharmacy recipient of Distinguished Teaching Award
- June 13, 2016: Cynthia Richard: continually learning
2006 PhD, Dalhousie University, Pharmacology
2001 Dalhousie University, Pharmacy