Dr. Richard completed her undergraduate degree in pharmacy at Dalhousie University, and has experience in community pharmacy. She completed her PhD in Pharmacology at Dalhousie University, and then studied vitamin D’s anti-cancer activity during a post-doctoral research fellowship at the University of Guelph. She was an Adjunct Clinical Assistant Professor at the University of Waterloo School of Pharmacy from 2009-2013, where she has taught courses related to natural health products, nutrition, pharmacology, self-care, and drug analysis, and is now a Clinical Lecturer with responsibility for oversight of the Professional Practice Program. She also acts as the Teaching Fellow for the School of Pharmacy.
Office: Phr 5006
Phone: 519-888-4567, ext. 21345
- natural health products
- scholarship of teaching and learning
Dr. Richard has responsibility for the oversight of the Professional Practice series of courses and labs. Courses taught and coordinated include:
- PHR 228, 229, 329: Professional Practice 3, 4, 5
- PHR 366: Concepts in Nutritional Sciences
Dr. Richard is the Teaching Fellow for the School of Pharmacy. As such, she is responsible for fostering a culture of teaching at the School marked by an interest in engaging students and a commitment to professional development.
To further this end, Dr. Richard is actively involved in scholarship of teaching and learning research. Presentations in this field include:
- Richard C, Edginton A, Rigby A. 2nd year midpoint assessment to identify PharmD students for remediation. AACP/AFPC Annual Meeting. June 2016. Richmond BC, Canada. Poster presentation.
- Richard C, Edginton A, Rigby A. 2nd year midpoint assessment to identify PharmD students for remediation. Opportunities and New Directions Teaching Conference. April 2016. Waterloo ON, Canada. Oral presentation.
- Richard C, Spagnuolo P. Nutrition education in the PharmD curriculum at the University of Waterloo school of Pharmacy. Breaking Bread with SWAHN: Nutrition Research and Innovation Symposium. April 2015. London ON, Canada. Oral presentation.
- Schneider EF, Richard CL, Lillie E. Performance-based assessment using Objective Structured Clinical Exams (OSCEs) at the University of Waterloo School of Pharmacy. AACP/AFPC Annual Meeting 2015. July 2015. National Harbor, MD, United States. Poster presentation.
- Schneider EF, Richard CL, Lillie E. Performance of a high-stakes OSCE at a Canadian pharmacy school. AACP/AFPC Annual Meeting 2015. July 2015. National Harbor, MD, United States. Poster presentation.
- Schneider E, Lillie E, Richard C. What have pharmacy students learned? An Objective Structured Clinical Exam (OSCE) for measurement of skill application in real time. University of Waterloo Teaching and Learning Conference Opportunities and New Directions 2015. April 2015. Waterloo, ON, Canada. Oral presentation.
- Richard C, Spagnuolo P. Complementary and Alternative Therapies. Compendium of Therapeutics for Minor Ailments. Submitted May 2015.
- Cutler MJ, Lowthers EL, Richard CL, Hajducek DM, Spagnuolo PA, Blay J. Chemotherapeutic agents attenuate CXCL12-mediated migration of colon cancer cells by selecting for CXCR4-negative cells and increasing peptidase CD26.BMC Cancer 2015 Nov10; 15:882.
- Monk JM, Richard CL, Woodward B. A non-inflammatory form of immune competence prevails in acute pre-pubescent malnutrition: new evidence based on critical mRNA transcripts in the mouse. British Journal of Nutrition 2011 Sep 27:1-5.
- Richard CL, Farach-Carson MC, Rohe B, Nemere I, Meckling KA. Involvement of 1,25D3-MARRS, a novel vitamin D receptor, in growth inhibition of breast cancer cells. Experimental Cell Research 2010 Mar 10;316(5):695-703.
- Wu W, Beilhartz G, Roy Y, Richard CL, Curtin M, Brown L, Cadieux D, Coppolino M, Farach-Carson MC, Nemere I, Meckling KA. Nuclear translocation of the 1,25D3-MARRS (Membrane Activated Rapid Response to Steroids) receptor protein and NFkB in differentiating NB4 leukemia cells. Experimental Cell Research, 2010 Apr 15;316(7):1101-8.
Awards and Distinctions
- 2012 Excellence in Science Teaching Award, University of Waterloo
- 2011 Student Support Recognition Award, University of Waterloo
Professional Associations and Service
- 2011-present: Chief Administrator, Pharmacy Examining Board of Canada Qualifying Examination, Part II (OSCE), Kitchener-Waterloo
- 2012-2013: Conference program planning co-chair, 2013 Canadian Pharmacy Education and Research Conference, Association of Faculties of Pharmacy of Canada, Niagara-on-the-Lake
The following news stories have featured Dr. Richard's work:
June 13, 2016: Cynthia Richard: continually learning
2006 PhD, Dalhousie University, Pharmacology
2001 Dalhousie University, Pharmacy