David Edwards received his undergraduate pharmacy degree from the University of Toronto in 1978 and completed a residency in hospital pharmacy at Sunnybrook Medical Centre. He graduated from the PharmD program at the State University of New York at Buffalo and joined the Department of Pharmaceutics at Buffalo for post-doctoral training in pharmacokinetics. David Edwards accepted a faculty position in the Eugene Applebaum College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences at Wayne State University in 1983. He was Professor and Chair of the Department of Pharmacy Practice prior to accepting the position as Hallman Director of the School of Pharmacy at the University of Waterloo.
Office: PHR 6002
Phone: 519-888-4567, ext.84408
Dr. Edwards' research has focused on the effect of drugs, food, beverages, and herbal products on the metabolism and pharmacokinetics of medications. He is the author of more than 90 papers in the biomedical literature and co-authored the textbook “Evaluating Drug Literature – A statistical approach”. His laboratory completed several studies investigating the mechanism and significance of the interaction between grapefruit juice and prescription medication and identified furanocoumarins as the compounds in grapefruit juice responsible for these interactions. His research has received more than 3,000 citations.
Dr. Edwards teaches PHARM 120: Introduction to the Profession of Pharmacy. In addition, he lectures in a variety of other courses on topics related to clinical pharmacokinetics and drug literature evaluation.
- Chugani DC, Chugani HT, Wiznitzer M, Parkih S, Evans PA, Hansen RL, Nass R, Janisse JJ, Dixon-Thomas P, Behen M, Rothermel R, Parker JS, Kumar A, Muzik O, Edwards DJ, Hirtz D and the Autism Center of Excellence Network. Efficacy of Low Dose Buspirone for Restricted and Repetitive Behavior in Young Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder. Journal of Pediatrics 2016; 170: 45 – 53.
- Edwards DJ. Dissemination of research results: On the Path to Practice Change. Can J Hosp Pharm 2015; 68: 465-469.
- Kanji S, Hayes M, Ling A, Shamseer L, Chant C, Edwards DJ, Ensom M, Foster DR, Hardy B, Kiser T, laPorte C, Roberts J, Shulman R, Walker S, Zelenitsky S, Moher D. Reporting guidelines for clinical pharmacokinetic studies: The ClinPK statement. Clin Pharmacokin 2015; 54: 783-95.
- Fagan SC, Waller JL, Nichols FT, Edwards DJ, Pettigrew LC, Clark WM, Hall CE, Switzer JA, Ergul A, Hess DC. Minocycline to improve neurologic outcome in stroke (MINOS): A dose finding study. Stroke 2010; 41: 2283-2287.
- Edwards DJ, Chugani DC, Chugani HT, Chehab J, Malian M, Aranda JV. Pharmacokinetics of buspirone in autistic children. J Clin Pharmacol 2006; 46: 506-514.
- Schmiedlin-Ren, P., Edwards, D.J., Fitzsimmons, M.E., He, K., Lown, K.S., Woster, P.M., Rahman, A., Thummel, K.E., Fisher, J.M., Hollenberg, P.F., and Watkins, P.B.: Mechanisms of enhanced oral bioavailability of CYP3A4 substrates by grapefruit constituents: Decreased enterocyte CYP3A4 concentration and mechanism-based inactivation by furanocoumarins. Drug Metabolism Dispos. 1997 25: 1228 -1233.
- Edwards, D.J., Bellevue, F.H., and Woster, P.M.: Identification of 6',7'-dihydroxybergamottin, a cytochrome P450 inhibitor in grapefruit juice. Drug Metabolism Dispos. 1996; 24:1287-1290.
- Ducharme, M.P., Warbasse, L.H. and Edwards, D.J.: Disposition of intravenous and oral cyclosporine following administration with grapefruit juice. Clin. Pharmacol. Ther. 1995; 57:485-491.
Dr. Edwards holds a US Patent related to the use of 6',7'-dihydroxybergamottin, a cytochrome P450 inhibitor in grapefruit juice.
Awards and Distinctions
- 2012 Outstanding Performance Award
- 1992 Fellow, American College of Clinical Pharmacy
Voted Instructor of the Year by pharmacy students at Wayne State University on 12 occasions
Professional Associations and Service
Dr Edwards has served on the editorial board of journals such as Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics and has been a consultant to a number of government agencies in Canada and the United States. He has served as President of the Association of Faculties of Pharmacy of Canada (AFPC), board member for the Canadian Pharmacists Association, and member of Council for the Ontario College of Pharmacists. He is currently President of the Canadian Foundation for Pharmacy.
2011 MPH, Public Health, Wayne State University, 2011
1981 Pharm.D., Pharmacy, SUNY/Buffalo, 1981
1978 B.Sc.Phm., Pharmacy, University of Toronto, 1978