The HoResearchGroup is interested in the development and characterization of innovative drug delivery strategies including nanomedicines, medical devices and biomaterials for the treatment and prevention of HIV/AIDS, cancer, and chronic wound healing.
- Drug delivery and pharmaceutics
- Nanomedicine, medical devices, biomaterials
- 3D Printing, hot-melt injection molding
- HIV/AIDS, cancer, chronic wound healing
The HoResearchGroup uses an interdisciplinary approach to develop strategies for the imaging, treatment, and prevention of diseases. This involves the fabrication and characterization of innovative biomaterials for drug delivery systems such as nanoparticles, medical devices, biodegradable films, hydrogels, etc. Trainees in the HoResearchGroup will become experts in various fields including pharmaceutical sciences, bioengineering, immunology, microbiology, molecular biology, and chemistry.
- Self-assembled nanoparticles made from a new PEGylated poly(aspartic acid) graft copolymer for intravaginal delivery of poorly water-soluble drugs. Kim S, Traore YL, Lee JS, Kim JH, Ho EA, Liu S. J Biomater Sci Polym Ed. 2017 Aug 30:1-40. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 28853638
- Development of antibody-modified chitosan nanoparticles for the targeted delivery of siRNA across the blood-brain barrier as a strategy for inhibiting HIV replication in astrocytes. Gu J, Al-Bayati K, Ho EA. Drug Deliv Transl Res. 2017 Aug;7(4):497-506. PMID: 28315051
Reversibly pH-responsive polyurethane membranes for on-demand intravaginal drug delivery. Kim S, Chen Y, Ho EA, Liu S. Acta Biomater. 2017 Jan 1;47:100-112. PMID: 27717914
- Nanoparticles Encapsulated with LL37 and Serpin A1 Promotes Wound Healing and Synergistically Enhances Antibacterial Activity. Fumakia M, Ho EA. Mol Pharm. 2016 Jul 5;13(7):2318-31. PMID: 27182713
- Impact of Hydroxychloroquine-Loaded Polyurethane Intravaginal Rings on Lactobacilli. Traore YL, Chen Y, Bernier AM, Ho EA. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2015 Dec;59(12):7680-6. PMID: 26416871
- Biodegradable Film for the Targeted Delivery of siRNA-Loaded Nanoparticles to Vaginal Immune Cells. Gu J, Yang S, Ho EA. Mol Pharm. 2015 Aug 3;12(8):2889-903 PMID: 26099315
- Development of an Analytical Method for the Rapid Quantitation of Peptides Used in Microbicide Formulations. Chen Y, Yang S, Ho EA. Chromatographia. 2014;77(23-24):1713-1720. PMID: 25477555
- Development of polyether urethane intravaginal rings for the sustained delivery of hydroxychloroquine. Chen Y, Traore YL, Li A, Fowke KR, Ho EA. Drug Des Devel Ther. 2014 Oct 9;8:1801-15. PMID: 25336923
Awards and Distinctions
- 2016-2021 Leslie F. Buggey Professorship
- 2015 Association of Faculties of Pharmacy of Canada (AFPC) New Investigator Research Award
- 2015 Gattefosse Canada/CSPS Award in Lipid-Based Drug Delivery
- 2014 GlaxoSmithKline/Canadian Society of Pharmaceutical Sciences (GSK/CSPS) Early Career Award
- 2013 Rh Award for Excellence in Research (Interdisciplinary Category)
- 2008-2009 Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research (MSFHR) Post-Doctoral Fellowship
- 2007-2009 Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) Post-Doctoral Fellowship
- 2007 Gordon Cressy Student Leadership Award
- 2005-2007 Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) Industrial Post-Graduate Scholarship
- 2005-2006 Ontario Graduate (Ph.D.) Scholarship (OGS)
Professional Associations and Service
- 2017-present Member, Waterloo Institute for Nanotechnology
- 2015-2017 President, Canadian Chapter of the Controlled Release Society (CC-CRS)
- 2016-2017 Invited Guest Editor, Drug Delivery and Translational Research
- 2016-present Associate Editor, Journal of Pharmacy & Pharmaceutical Sciences
- 2015 Chair, Canadian Society for Pharmaceutical Sciences (CSPS) / Canadian Chapter of the Controlled Release Society, Session: “Mucosal Drug Delivery”.
- 2014-2015 Secretary, Canadian Chapter of the Controlled Release Society (CC-CRS)
- 2013-2015 Member, Controlled Release Society Young Scientist Committee
2014-Dec. "Research Group is Developing New Strategies to Prevent HIV". Interview with UMToday regarding my research program.
2014-Nov. "UofM Community Inspires at Inaugural TEDxUManitoba". My presentation entitled “Nano-medicine – the way of the future?” was featured in this article. UMToday.
2014-Nov. Independent TEDxUManitoba Event at U of M. My presentation entitled “Nano-medicine – the way of the future?” was featured in this article. The Manitoban
2013-July. “Treating and Preventing HIV”. The interview was focused on the impact of my research program on the field of HIV/AIDS. International Innovation. Issue 22:83-85.
CIHR/MSFHR Post-Doctoral Fellow, British Columbia Cancer Research Center
Ph.D., University of Toronto
Hons.B.Sc., University of Toronto