Dr. Rita Dhami is an active hospital pharmacist, educator and researcher.
She maintains a clinical role as Pharmacist for the London Health Sciences Antimicrobial Stewardship Program and has led a number of practice initiatives related to improving the use of antimicrobials. Research interests include evaluating the impact of antimicrobial stewardship initiatives on antimicrobial prescribing practices and C.difficile infections.
She is also has a keen interest in inter-professional education and has been actively involved in teaching medications to Medicine, Nursing, Social Work, and Physical Therapy from the practicing clinician to an undergraduate student. She is an active participant in Interprofessional Education Day held with the Western University.
Office: PHR 5003
Phone: 519-888-4567, ext. 21354
- Acute care clinical hospital practice
- Infectious Diseases and antimicrobial stewardship
- Interprofessional education
Research and Clinical Practice
- evaluating the impact of antimicrobial stewardship initiatives on antimicrobial prescribing practices and C.difficile infections
- inter-professional education
- teaching medications to Medicine, Nursing, Social Work, and Physical Therapy from the practicing clinician to an undergraduate student
Dr. Dhami teaches at the undergraduate level and guest lectures in many classes. Courses taught include:
PHARM 129 Professional Practice
- Guest Lecturer: Patient Education and Device Demonstrations
PHARM 375 Substance Abuse and Chemical Dependency Elective
- Course instructor
PHARM 496 Advanced Professional Practice
- Course instructor
Oesch A. Dhami R. Lougheed C. Elsayed S. Thrombocytopenia during Treatment with Ceftolozane/Tazobactam. Canadian Society of Hospital Pharmacists Professional Practice Conference. Toronto ON, Feb 2017.
Foley J. Hamelin J. McMillan C. Mesbur ES. Shnall A. Van Sickle C. Dhami R. Advanced Social Work Practice with Older Adults: an OASW foray into on-line education. Ontario Association for Social Work Conference. Toronto ON. November 2016.
Dhami R. Elsayed S. Jansen S. Vandersluis C. Popovski Z. Speaking up on the use of Antimicrobials in Critical Care. Quality and Patient Safety Conference, London ON. October 2016.
Dhami R. Killeen R. Waite N. Jennings B. Advancing Professional Practice Skills for Recent Bachelor of Pharmacy Graduates. Lifelong Learning in Pharmacy Conference: Split: Croatia, July 2016.
Professional Associations and Service
- Licensed pharmacist with the Ontario College of Pharmacists
- Clinical Pharmacist (part time) at Shoppers Drug Mart
- Member, Canadian Pharmacists Association
- Member, Canadian Society of Hospital Pharmacists but has held following Council positions:
- 2006-2008 SouthWestern Chapter Chair, Ontario Branch
- 2008-2012 ON Branch Delegate, National CSHP
- 2011-2012 National Chair, Pharmacy Technician Task Force, Canadian Society of Hospital Pharmacists
- Member, Ontario College of Pharmacists Jurisprudence Steering Committee
BSc Pharmacy (University of Toronto)
PharmD (University of Florida)