Dr. Wong’s research focuses on system-level policy modeling, infectious diseases modeling, health services and outcomes research, particularly in hepatitis B and C. His health services and outcomes research interests include quality of life research, costing and return on investment. Methodology research interests include advanced decision-analytic modeling techniques (such as discrete event simulation models and agent-based models) for health technology assessment, cost-effectiveness analysis, and pharmacoeconomics evaluation studies.
- health technology assessment
- Development of system-level policy models for hepatitis B virus (HBV), hepatitis C virus (HCV), and cardiovascular diseases (CVD)
- Pharmacoeconomics of cancer therapies, and chronic hepatitis B/C therapies
- Pharmacoinformatics: incorporating pharmacoeconomics model to enhance computational dru g discovery process
Dr. Wong teaches in the undergraduate curriculum. Courses taught include:
- PHARM 151: Foundation and Application of Health Informatics
- PHARM 618: Applied Health Economics and Pharmacoeconomics
Selected Papers in Refereed Journals
- Tian F, Houle S, Alsabbagh W, Wong W.W.L. (2020). Cost-effectiveness of Tenofovir Alafenamide for treatment of chronic hepatitis B in Canada. PharmacoEconomics, v38,2:181-192.
- Saeed Y, Phoon A, Bielecki JM, Mitsakakis N, Bremner K, Abrahamyan L, Pechlivanoglou P, Feld J, Krahn M, and Wong W.W.L. (2020) A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis of Health Utilities in Chronic Hepatitis C Patients, Value in Health, v23,1:127-137.
- Wong W.W.L., Pechlivanoglou P, Wong J, Bielecki J, Haines A, Erman A, Saeed Y, Phoon A, Tadrous M, Younis M, Rayad N, Rac V, Janssen HLA, Krahn M. (2019) Antiviral treatment for chronic hepatitis B: Systematic review and network meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials, Systematic Reviews, v8:207.
- Wong W.W.L., Zargar M, Berry S., Ko Y., Riesco-Martinez M.C., and Chan K.K. (2019). Cost-effectiveness analysis of selective first line use of biologics for wild-type RAS unresectable metastatic colorectal cancer based on primary tumor location. Current Oncology, v26,5:e597-e609.
- Hamadeh A, Feng Z, Krahn M, Wong W.W.L. (2019). A Model-based framework for chronic hepatitis C prevalence estimation. PLoS One, v14,11:e0225366.
- Tully S, Feng Z, Grindrod K, McFarlane T, Chan KKW, Wong W.W.L. (2019) Impact of increasing wait-times on overall mortality of Chimeric Antigen Receptor T-cell therapy in large B-cell lymphoma: A discrete event simulation model. JCO Clinical Cancer Informatics, v3:1-9. doi: 10.1200/CCI.19.00086.
- Pullagura G.R., Waite N.M., Houle S., Violette R. Wong W.W.L. (2019). Cost-utility analysis of offering a remunerated community-pharmacist consultation service on influenza vaccination for seniors in Ontario, Canada. Journal of the American Pharmacists Association, v59,4:489-497.
- Wong W.W.L., Haines A., Zangneh H., Shah H. (2018) Can we afford not to screen and treat HCV infection in Canada. Canadian Liver Journal, v1,2:51-65.
- Zargar M, McFarlane T, Chan KK, Wong WWL. (2018) Cost-Effectiveness of Nivolumab in Recurrent Metastatic Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma in Canada. The Oncologist, v23,2:225-233.
- Wong W.W.L., Lee K., Singh S., Wells G., Feld J., Krahn M. (2017) Drug therapies for Chronic hepatitis C infection: a cost-effectiveness analysis. CMAJ Open, v5, 1:E97-E108.
- Wong W.W.L., Feng Z.Z, Thein H-H. (2016). A parallel sliding region algorithm to make agent-based modeling possible for large-scale simulation: modelling hepatitis C epidemics in Canada. IEEE Journal of Biomedical and Health Informatics, v20,6:1538-1544.
- Wong W.W.L., Tu H-A., Feld, J., Wong, T., Krahn M. (2015). Cost-Effectiveness of Screening Hepatitis C in Canada. Canadian Medical Association Journal (CMAJ), v187, 3:E110.
- Wong W.W.L., Krahn M., Lee K., Singh S. (2016). CADTH THERAPEUTIC REVIEW: Drugs for Chronic Hepatitis C: Cost-Effectiveness Analysis. Canadian Agency for Drugs and Technologies in Health, Ottawa.
- Wong W.W.L., Pechlivanoglou P., Erman A., Saeed Y., Younis M., Rayad N., Bielecki J., Rac V., Krahn M. (2015). Treatment for chronic hepatitis B: Systematic Review and Network Meta-Analysis. Ontario Drug Policy Research Network, Toronto
For more on Dr. Wong's publications, see his Publications Webpage.
Awards and Distinctions
2018-2023 Early Researcher Award, Ministry of Research, Innovation and Science, Government of Ontario
Professional Associations and Service
Dr. Wong is a member of the Ontario Health Technology Advisory Committee (OHTAC) for Health Quality Ontario (HQO). He served as a health economics modeling expert for the province. The committee reviews health technology assessments and makes recommendations on which health care services and devices should be publicly funded. Dr. Wong is also a member of college of reviewers for CIHR. Since 2014, Dr. Wong has served as a modeling expert for various policy makers, including the Canadian Agency for Drugs and Technologies in Health (CADTH), the Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC), and the Canadian Task Force on Preventive Health Care (CTPHC).
The following news pieces have featured Dr. Wong's work:
1999 BSc Computer Science and Statistics (York University)
2000 MMath Computer Science (University of Waterloo
2009 PhD Computer Science (University of Waterloo)
2012 Postdoctoral Fellowship in Medical Decision Making and Health Economics (University of Toronto)