Dr. Gamble is a pharmacist and epidemiologist who leads a research program in drug safety and effectiveness. His team focuses on understanding the real-world use and effects of diabetes therapies. Moreover, Dr. Gamble’s lab is interested in exploring methods to communicate drug information to facilitate evidence informed decision making for patients, health provider, and policy-makers.
- Post-marketing drug safety and effectiveness
- Comparative safety and effectiveness
- Diabetes health outcomes
- Drug information science
- Clinical Pharmacy and Pharmacy Practice
Dr. Gamble conducts drug safety and effectiveness research using epidemiologic methods. His team generates new evidence of drug effects through knowledge syntheses and observational drug effect studies in the area of diabetes pharmacotherapy., Dr. Gamble’s other research interests include knowledge translation of drug information, evidence-based monitoring of medications, and pharmaceutical policy evaluation.
- 2012 PhD Public Health Science (University of Alberta)
- 2008 MSc Clinical Epidemiology (University of Alberta)
- 2005 BSc Pharmacy (University of Alberta)
- 2001 BSc Biology (Lakehead University)
- 2017 Primary Healthcare Researcher of the Year, Memorial University
- 2013-2018 New Investigator Award, Canadian Institutes of Health Research
- 2013-2018 Clinician Scientist Award, Canadian Diabetes Association
- 2005 Dean George A Burbidge Memorial Award, Canadian Pharmacists Association
- Member, CIHR College of Reviewers (Sept. 2017 – present)
- Board Member, Canadian Association of Population Therapeutics (Nov 2015 - present)
- Member, Diabetes Canada Clinical & Scientific Section (2009 – present)
- Member, International Society for Pharmacoepidemiology (2008 – present)
- PHARM 220 - Integrated Patient Focused Care 1
- Taught in 2019, 2020
- PHARM 222 - Integrated Patient Focused Care 3
- Taught in 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023
- PHARM 377 - Drug-Induced Disease
- Taught in 2020
- PHARM 611 - Special Topics in Pharmacy Practice
- Taught in 2019, 2022, 2023
* Only courses taught in the past 5 years are displayed.
- Anand K, Sketris I, Zhang Y, Levy A, Gamble JM. The impact of FDA and Health Canada warnings related to the safety of high dose simvastatin. Drugs – Real World Outcomes 2017 (in press).
- Abu-Ashour W, Twells LK, Valcour J, Randell A, Donnan J, Howse P, Gamble JM. The Association Between Diabetes Mellitus and Incident Infections: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis Of Observational Studies. BMJ Open Diabetes Res Care 2017;5:e000336. DOI: 10.1136-bmjdrc-2016-000336 PMID: 28761647.
- Gamble JM, Chibrikov E, Twells LK, Midodzi WK, Young SW, MacDonald D, Majumdar SR. Association of insulin dosage with mortality or major adverse cardiovascular events: a retrospective cohort study. Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol 2017;5:43-52. DOI: 10.1016/S2213-8587(16)30316-3 PMID: 27865756.
- Howse PM, Chibrikova LN, Barrett BJ, Twells LK, Gamble JM. Safety and Efficacy of Incretin-based Therapies in Patients with Type 2 Diabetes and Chronic Kidney Disease: Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. Am J Kidney Dis 2016; 68:733-742. DOI: 10.1053/j.ajkd.2016.06.014 PMID: 27528374
- Gamble JM, Thomas JM, Twells LK, Midodzi WK, Majumdar SR. Comparative Effectiveness of Incretins and the Risk of Death and Cardiovascular Events In 38233 New Metformin Users. Medicine 2016;95:26. DOI: 10.1097/MD.0000000000003995 PMID: 27368005.
- Gamble JM, Clarke A, Myers KJ, Agnew MD, Hatch K, Snow MM, Davis EM. Incretin-based medications for type 2 diabetes: an overview of reviews. Diabetes Obes Metab 2015;17:649-658. DOI: 10.1111/dom.12465 PMID: 25772666
- Gamble JM. An Introduction to the Fundamentals of Cohort and Case-Control Studies. Can J Hosp Pharm 2014;67:366-372. Available: http://www.cjhp-online.ca/index.php/cjhp/article/view/1391/2014 PMID: 25364019
- Gamble JM, Hall JJ, Marrie TJ, Sadowski CA, Majumdar SR, Eurich DT. Medication Transitions and Polypharmacy in Older Adults Following Acute Care. Therapeutics and Clinical Risk Management 2014;10:189-196. DOI: 10.2147/TCRM.S58707 PMID: 2467223
- Gamble JM, Majumdar SR, Johnson JA, McAlister FA, Simpson SH, Eurich DT. Changes in Thiazolidinedione Use and Outcomes Following Removal of a Prior Authorization Policy: Controlled Time-Series Analysis. Med Care 2014;52:47-55. DOI: 10.1097/MLR.0000000000000006 PMID: 24309670