The application deadline for the Spring term (August Residency) is February 1st of each year. The MEDI program will consider late applications up to April 1stof each year, for the Spring term (August Residency).
Applicants who apply by February 1st have the opportunity to apply for a financial need award in their first year.
Waterloo's graduate studies application process is entirely electronic. We do not require paper documents to be mailed to us at the time of the application. Refer to the short video below and application process website for more details.
Four-year Honours Bachelor's degree (or equivalent) in Business, Commerce, Economics, Geography, Planning or a related field, with at least a 75% standing or other Honours Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent).
- Supplementary information form
- Completed on Quest. You will be asked to describe your interest in economic development and what aspects of economic development you are most interested in. The statement should be approximately 500 words in length.
- Transcript(s) from each previous post-secondary institution you have attended
- Writing sample
- Uploaded on Quest. Provide an example of academic written work in English (e.g. published paper, an honours thesis, a major term paper, professional report, etc.)
- 2 References: at least 1 academic
English language proficiency (ELP)
To determine if you are exempt from submitting an English language proficiency (ELP) examination score, please visit the English language proficiency page.
80 per section;
60 per band;
overall in level 400 with at least 75% in writing, oral and academic skills
Note: If there is a discrepancy between this site and the Graduate Studies Calendar, please refer to the latter for the most accurate information.