Assistant Professor, Managerial Accounting
Office: 3161 Hagey Hall
Phone: 519-888-4567 x31088
My research applies theory from psychology and economics to understand how various incentive systems and control environments affect employee effort and performance.
- Assistant Professor, University of Waterloo (2018 - current)
- Assistant Professor, University of Pittsburgh (2013 - 2017)
- Staff Accountant, Deloitte and Touche (2005 - 2009)
Education and certifications
- Bachelor of Commerce (University of Alberta)
- Ph.D. (Waterloo)
- Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) (Alberta)
- Kelly, K., and A. Presslee. 2017. The interactive effect of winner proportion and tournament group identity on tournament performance. Accounting, Organisations and Society, 56: 21-34.
- Kelly, K., A. Presslee and A. Webb. 2017. The effects of tangible versus cash rewards in consecutive sales tournaments: A field experiment. The Accounting Review, 92(6): 165-186.
- Presslee, A., T. Vance and A. Webb. 2013. The effects of reward type on employee goal selection, goal commitment and performance. The Accounting Review, 88(5): 1805-1831.
- Boritz, J., F. Borthwick, and A. Presslee. 2012. The effect of business process representation type on assessment of business and control risks: Diagrams versus narratives. Issues in Accounting Education, 27(4): 895-915.
- Berger, L., L. Guo, and A. Presslee. Better to give than to Receive: The positive effect of prosocial rewards on goal commitment and performance.
- Birnberg, J., W. Choi, and A. Presslee. Pay-what-you-want in the arts: A qualitative field study.
- Brown, C., J.H. Evans, D. Moser, and A. Presslee. Performance measurement and pay dispersion.
- Burt, I., T. Libby, and A. Presslee. The effects of ex post goal adjustment and social identity with a superior on subordinates’ performance.
- Choi, W., and A. Presslee. The performance effects of tangible versus cash rewards: The mediating role of categorization.
- Mitchell, T., A. Presslee, A. Schultz, and A. Webb. The effect of mental budgeting on performance.
- 2017. University of Pittsburgh's Katz Graduate School of Business Teacher of the Year.
- 2011. Outstanding Management Accounting Paper Award, Management Accounting Section, AAA Annual Meeting, with T. Vance and A. Webb.
- Incentive Research Foundation. 2017. $7,000. Reward type and organizational identity. With K. Kelly.
- CRDF (University of Pittsburgh). 2015. $10,000. The performance effects of tangible rewards. With W. Choi.
- CRDF (University of Pittsburgh). 2014. $10,000. Social identity and competitive incentives. With K. Kelly.
- SSHRC. 2015. $126,663. The effects of non-cash rewards on motivation and performance. With A. Webb (Principal Investigator) and K. Kelly.
University of Waterloo