Success as an accounting and financial management professional requires much more than technical skills. The School of Accounting and Finance (SAF) offers professional development activities that will help you focus on improving skills employers demand.
SAF hosts a number of professionally related events each year. Our goal is to help you successfully navigate opportunities. Common themes for these events include:
- Inspiring your industry awareness,
- Building your workplace skills,
- Enhancing your professional image,
- Charting your professional pathway
- Launching your career in accounting and finance
- Launch Your Career (LYC)
- A 1-day event geared towards preparing first-year SAF students for successful co-op experiences. Through an agenda of interactive activities and workshops, this professional development event will help you develop your professional image and networking skills and introduce you to the co-op recruitment process.
- Co-op Ready
- A 1-day event designed for SAF students entering their second year of undergraduate study. The aim of the event is to make you “co-op employer-ready”. Through an agenda of activities and events, Co-op Ready delivers an integrative, industry-focused professional development experience that will lead to success on the job.
Past professional development workshops have included:
- Professional Designation information sessions: CFA, CBV, and CPA
- Industry guest speakers on special topics in accounting and finance: bond rating, investment banking, portfolio management, and internal auditing
Past networking and relationship building events have included:
- Employer-student networking events featuring 6-12 employers: Opportunities in Accounting and Financial Night
- Practice job interviews, with designated professionals
- Employer information sessions, which are on-campus recruiting events hosted by an employer looking to hire Waterloo students directly into their organization. These sessions are held by Centre for Career Development (CCD).