Assurance, Information Systems
Office: Hagey Hall 289H
Phone: 519-888-4567 x35774
Education and certifications
- BA (York University)
- MBA (York University)
- PhD (Minnesota)
- Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA)
- Chartered Accountant (CA)
- Fellow, Chartered Professional Accountants (FCPA)
- Fellow, Chartered Accountants (FCA)
- Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA)
My work involves investigating areas of professional practice in external auditing and internal auditing which rely on the exercise of professional judgment. My research aims at identifying factors affecting judgment processes and systematic determinants of judgment quality. I am particularly interested in judgement enhancement through decision aids and decision support systems.
Selected publications (since 2012)
Boritz, J.E., Jap Efendi, University of Sydney and Jee-Hae Lim, University of Waterloo. The Impact of Senior Management Competencies on the Voluntary Adoption of an Innovative TechnologyThe Impact of Executive Team Competencies on XBRL Adoption. Journal of Information Systems (forthcoming) 2017.
Boritz, J.E and C. Carnaghan. Competence-based Education and Assessment in the Accounting Profession in Canada and the United States. Chapter 13 in Mulder, M. (Ed.). Competence-based Vocational and Professional Education Bridging the World of Work and Education. Cham: Springer International Publishing Switzerland, 2017.
Boritz, J.E., L. Hayes and L. Timoshenko. Determinants of the Readability of SOX 404 Reports. Journal of Emerging Technologies in Accounting Vol. 13, No. 2 (Fall) 2016: 145-168.
Boritz, J.E. and W.G. No. Computer-Assisted Functions for Auditing XBRL-Related Documents. Journal of Emerging Technologies in Accounting Vol. 13, No. 1 (Spring) 2016: 53-83.
Boritz, J.E and K. Fiolleau. "Educating Accounting Professionals About Ethics and Judgment". In Educating Professionals: Ethics and Judgment in a Changing Learning Environment edited by a committee drawn from CPA Canada and University of Toronto, Toronto: CPA Canada, 2015.
Boritz, J.E., N. Kochetova-Kozloski and L. Robinson. “Are Fraud Specialists Relatively More Effective than Auditors at Modifying Audit Programs in the Presence of Fraud Risk?” The Accounting Review Vol. 90 No. 3 (May) 2015: 881-915.
Boritz, J.E. and L. Timoshenko. “Firm-Specific Characteristics of the SEC’s XBRL Voluntary Filing Program” Journal of Information Systems Vol. 29, No. 1 (Spring) 2015: 9-36.
- Boritz, J.E., C. Carnaghan and P. Alencar. “Business Modeling to improve auditor risk assessment: An investigation of alternative representations” Journal of Information Systems Vol. 28, No. 2 (Fall) 2014: 231-256.
- Boritz, J.E. and L. Timoshenko. “On the Use of Checklists in Auditing: A Commentary” Current Issues in Auditing Vol. 8, No. 1, 2014: C1-25.
- Boritz, J.E. and G. Stoner. "IT in Accounting Education", Chapter 16 in Richard M.S. Wilson (ed.) The Routledge Companion To Accounting Education, London: Routledge, 2014.
- Boritz, J.E., L. Hayes and J. Lim, “A Content Analysis of Auditors' Reports on IT Internal Control Weaknesses: The comparative advantages of an automated approach to control weakness identification, International Journal of Accounting Information Systems Vol. 14, No. 2 (June) 2013: 138-163.
- G. Trites and J.E. Boritz, E-Business: A Canadian Perspective on a Networked World, Toronto: Pearson, 4th ed., 2013, 393 pages.
- Berger, L. and J.E. Boritz, Accounting Students’ Sensitivity to Attributes of Information Integrity, Issues in Accounting Education Vol. 27, No. 4 (Fall) 2012: 867–893.
- Boritz, J.E., F. Borthick and A. Presslee, "The Effects of Business Process Representation Type on the Assessment of Business and Control Risk: Diagrams Versus Narratives," Issues in Accounting Education Vol. 27, No. 4 (Fall) 2012: 895–915.
- Boritz, J.E. and L. Robinson, Book Review: AL ROSEN and MARK ROSEN, $WINDLER$: Cons & Cheats and How to Protect your Investment from Them (Toronto, ON, Canada: Madison Press, ISBN 978-1-897330-76-0, pp. xiv, 263). The Accounting Review (May) 2012: 1095-1098.
Under review at journal
- Business Model Descriptions, with Giselle White. Presented at the International Symposium on Accounting Information Systems in Valencia, Spain, May 8-9, 2017.
- Are External Auditors Concerned about Cyber Incidents? Evidence from Audit Fees’ with He Li and Won No, Rutgers University. Presented at AAA mid-year meeting of the Auditing Section; AAA mid-year meeting of the AIS/SET section; International Symposium on Accounting Information Systems in Valencia, Spain, May 8-9, 2017.
- Auditors’ and Specialists’ Views about the Use of Specialists during an Audit, with Linda Robinson, Chris Wong and Natalia Kochetova-Kozloski. Presented at the CAAA Annual Conference, May 2014; AAA Auditing mid-year meeting in Miami in January 2015; EAA annual conference in Glasgow, April 2015; PCAOB Standards Advisory Group meeting in Washington, June 18, 2015; ISAR in Boston, June 20, 2015.
- The Quality of Interactive Data: XBRL versus Compustat, Yahoo Finance, and Google Finance, with Won No, Manuscript 2012. Accepted for presentation at the XBRL 25 XBRL International Conference in Yokohama, Japan November 6-8, 2012; the AAA IS meeting Jan 7-10, 2012.
Conference presentations in preparation for journal submission
- Do Differences in CFO Background Matter to Financial Statement Quality? An Application of Machine Learning and Textual Analytics, with Louise Hayes, University of Guelph, Presented at the AAA Annual Conference in San Diego, August 7-9. 2017.
- Alternative Business Model Representation Techniques: A Research Synthesis, with Giselle White. Presented at the AAA Annual Conference, August 2016.
- Classifying Restatements: An Application of Machine Learning and Textual Analysis, with Louise Hayes, University of Guelph. Presented at the AAA Annual Conference, August 2016; AAA mid-year meeting in Orlando, January 2017; the European Accounting Association Annual Conference in Valencia, Spain, May 10-12, 2017; World Finance Conference in Caglieri, Sardinia, July 26-28, 2017.
- How Understandable are SOX 404 Reports? With Louise Hayes and Lev Timoshenko. Presented at the AAA Annual Conference, August 2014; AAA annual conference in Chicago, August 2015; World Banking and Finance Conference, Hanoi December 17-18, 2015; mid-year meeting of AAA SET section in Houston, January 23, 2016.
- Voluntary Assurance on Interim Financial Statements and Earnings Quality, with Sati Bandyopadhyay. Work in progress. Accepted for presentation at the CAAA annual meeting May 29-June 1, 2008 and AAA annual meeting August 2008. Presented at the CAAA annual conference in Edmonton, June 2014.
- The Effect of Alternative Business Model Representation Techniques on Business and Audit Risk Assessment, with Kun Huo. Presented at CAAA Annual Conference in Montreal, June 2013 and the AAA Annual Conference, August 2014.
- Corporate Reporting Awards and Financial Reporting Quality, with Tim Bauer, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, under funding by CFERF (Canadian Financial Executives Research Foundation). Manuscript December 2009. Presented at 2010 European Accounting Conference, Istanbul; Annual CAAA Conference, 2011; Annual AAA Conference, 2011.
Other works in progress
- Integrated Reporting and its Antecedents: An Agenda for Research, with Linda Whittaker. Manuscript, September 2014.
- Information Integrity, with Malik Datardina. Manuscript, September 2014.
- Who are the reporting issuers in default in Canada? With Nadia Small (ESG-UQAM) and Real Labelle (HEC).
Editor/Associate Editor etc.
- Editor-in-Chief, (Emerald), 2016-2018
Associate Editor, , 2014-present
Editor-in-Chief, , 2006-2010
- , 2013-present
- , 2009-present
- , 2007-present
- , 2000-present
- , 2005-2007
- , 1990-2010
- , 1983-2000
- Lifetime Volunteer Award Nominee, CPA Canada, 2016
- Outstanding Educator Award, Strategic and Emerging Technologies (SET) section of the American Accounting Association, 2015
- Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Professional Accountants of Ontario (FCPA), 2013
- Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal, 2012
- Bill Swirsky Innovation Award, Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants, 2010
- Best Paper award (with Won G. No) at the World Congress on Privacy, Security, Trust and the Management of EBusiness, 2009
- Best Paper award (with Jee-Hae Lim), presented at the AAA Mid-Year Meeting of the IS Section, 2008
- George Baxter Distinguished Service Award, Canadian Academic Accounting Association, 2009
- L.S. Rosen Outstanding Educator Award, Canadian Academic Accounting Association, 2006
- Ontario Chartered Accountants’ Chair in Accounting, 2002
- Institute of Chartered Accountants of Ontario Award of Outstanding Merit, 1999
- Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Ontario (FCA), 1988
Funding (since 2012)
- Social Science and Humanities Research Council, "The Role of External Valuation Specialists in Determining Fair Values in Corporate Reports", with Lev Timoshenko, University of Calgary, 2016-2019, $103,865.
- Social Science and Humanities Research Council, "Integrated Reporting", with with Leslie Berger and Carolyn McTavish, 2014-2015, $8,000.
- Social Science and Humanities Research Council, "XBRL", with Jee-Hae Lim, 2013-2014, $8,000.
- CAAA/SAP, "The Quality of Interactive (XBRL) Data", with Won No, 2013-2014, $6,700.
- Social Science and Humanities Research Council, "Consequences of Internal Control Weaknesses", with Jee-Hae Lim, 2010-2014, $76,000.
Professional service (since 2012)
Member, Assurance Innovation Committee, Canadian Institute of Chartered Professional Accountants, 2016-present
Member, AP Editor Search Committee, Canadian Academic Accounting Association, 2015-2016
Member, Task Force on Data Analytics, American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, 2015-present
Member, Task Force on Cyber Security Assurance, American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, 2015-present
Member, Task Force on Trust Services/Information Integrity, American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, 2008-present
- Member, Study Group on Data Level Assurance, Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants, 2008-present
- Member, Study Group on Information Integrity, Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants, 2007-present
Consulting (since 2012)
Ontario Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities, Postsecondary Education Quality Assessment Board (PEQAB)
– Review of Humber College Institute of Technology and Advanced Learning Honours Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting), 2017.
Shared Services Canada, Member of Independent Departmental Audit and Evaluation Committee, 2012-2016.
University of Toronto, Review of Proposal for Master’s program in Forensic Accounting, 2016.
- Law firm, Expert in class action suit involving a company in the resources sector to opine on relevant accounting and auditing matters.
- Ontario Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities, Postsecondary Education Quality Assessment Board (PEQAB)
– Review of Niagara College Applied Business Degree Program (Accounting).
Ontario Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities, Postsecondary Education Quality Assessment Board (PEQAB)
Review of Dalhousie University’s Master of Business Administration (Financial Services) Program.
Sutts, Strosberg LLP, Expert in class action suit involving Manulife Insurance Company to perform calculation of demutualization benefits.
Courses taught (since 2012)
- ACC 622 - E-Business/E-Commerce
- ACC 690 - Professional judgment
- ACC 750 - PhD Seminar in Auditing Research