Assurance, Information Systems
Office: Hagey Hall 289H
Phone: 519-888-4567 x35774
Education and certifications
- BA (York University)
- MBA (York University)
- PhD (Minnesota)
- Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA)
- Chartered Accountant (CA)
- Fellow, Chartered Professional Accountants (FCPA)
- Fellow, Chartered Accountants (FCA)
- Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA)
My work involves investigating areas of professional practice in external auditing and internal auditing which rely on the exercise of professional judgment. My research aims at identifying factors affecting judgment processes and systematic determinants of judgment quality. I am particularly interested in judgement enhancement through decision aids and decision support systems.
Selected publications (last 5 years)
He Li , Southwestern University of Finance and Economics, China, Won No, Rutgers University and J.E. Boritz, University of Waterloo. Are External Auditors Concerned about Cyber Incidents? Evidence from Audit Fees. Forthcoming in Auditing: A Journal of Practice and Theory.
Boritz, J.E. and Won No, Rutgers University. How Significant are the Differences in Financial Data Provided by Key Data Sources? A Comparison of XBRL, Compustat, Yahoo! Finance, and Google Finance. Forthcoming in Journal of Information Systems.
Boritz, J.E., Jap Efendi, University of Sydney and Jee-Hae Lim, University of Waterloo. The Impact of Senior Management Competencies on the Voluntary Adoption of an Innovative Technology. Journal of Information Systems Vol. 32, No. 2 (Summer) 2018: 25–46.
Boritz, J.E and C. Carnaghan. Competence-based Education and Assessment in the Accounting Profession in Canada and the United States. Chapter 13 in Mulder, M. (Ed.). Competence-based Vocational and Professional Education Bridging the World of Work and Education. Cham: Springer International Publishing Switzerland, 2017.
Boritz, J.E., L. Hayes and L. Timoshenko. Determinants of the Readability of SOX 404 Reports. Journal of Emerging Technologies in Accounting Vol. 13, No. 2 (Fall) 2016: 145-168.
Boritz, J.E. and W.G. No. Computer-Assisted Functions for Auditing XBRL-Related Documents. Journal of Emerging Technologies in Accounting Vol. 13, No. 1 (Spring) 2016: 53-83.
Boritz, J.E and K. Fiolleau. "Educating Accounting Professionals About Ethics and Judgment". In Educating Professionals: Ethics and Judgment in a Changing Learning Environment edited by a committee drawn from CPA Canada and University of Toronto, Toronto: CPA Canada, 2015.
Boritz, J.E., N. Kochetova-Kozloski and L. Robinson. “Are Fraud Specialists Relatively More Effective than Auditors at Modifying Audit Programs in the Presence of Fraud Risk?” The Accounting Review Vol. 90 No. 3 (May) 2015: 881-915.
Boritz, J.E. and L. Timoshenko. “Firm-Specific Characteristics of the SEC’s XBRL Voluntary Filing Program” Journal of Information Systems Vol. 29, No. 1 (Spring) 2015: 9-36.
- Boritz, J.E., C. Carnaghan and P. Alencar. “Business Modeling to improve auditor risk assessment: An investigation of alternative representations” Journal of Information Systems Vol. 28, No. 2 (Fall) 2014: 231-256.
- Boritz, J.E. and L. Timoshenko. “On the Use of Checklists in Auditing: A Commentary” Current Issues in Auditing Vol. 8, No. 1, 2014: C1-25.
- Boritz, J.E. and G. Stoner. "IT in Accounting Education", Chapter 16 in Richard M.S. Wilson (ed.) The Routledge Companion To Accounting Education, London: Routledge, 2014.
Under review at journal
- Classifying Restatements: An Application of Machine Learning and Textual Analysis, with Louise Hayes, University of Guelph. Presented at the AAA Annual Conference, August 2016; AAA mid-year meeting in Orlando, January 2017; the European Accounting Association Annual Conference in Valencia, Spain, May 10-12, 2017. Under review at JIS.
Business Model Descriptions, with Giselle White. Presented at the AAA Annual Conference, August 2016; International Symposium on Accounting Information Systems in Valencia, Spain, May 8-9, 2017. Being revised for resubmission to IJAIS.
How Are FV Impairments Audited? A Study of Auditors and Valuation Specialists with Lev Timoshenko, University of Calgary, Being revised for resubmission
How Do Auditors Assess Key Inputs in a Discounted Cash Flow Model of Goodwill? with Lev Timoshenko, University of Calgary, Manuscript, April 2017. Under review at AJPT
Auditors’ and Specialists’ Views about the Use of Specialists during an Audit, with Linda Robinson, Chris Wong and Natalia Kochetova-Kozloski. Presented at the CAAA Annual Conference, May 2014; AAA Auditing mid-year meeting in Miami in January 2015; EAA annual conference in Glasgow, April 2015; PCAOB Standards Advisory Group meeting in Washington, June 18, 2015; ISAR in Boston, June 20, 2015. Being revised for resubmission
How Understandable are SOX 404 Reports? With Louise Hayes and Lev Timoshenko. Presented at the AAA Annual Conference, August 2014; AAA annual conference in Chicago, August 2015; World Banking and Finance Conference, Hanoi December 17-18, 2015; mid-year meeting of AAA SET section in Houston Jan 23, 2016. Under review at IJAIS.
Conference presentations in preparation for journal submission
- Neuro-Physiological Measures of Professional Skepticism. With Katharine Elizabeth Patterson, University of Waterloo, Kristian Rotaru, Monash University, Carla Wilkin, Monash University. Manuscript October. 2018. Presented at the AAA Annual Conference, Aug 12-14, 2019 in San Francisco.
- Neuro-Cognitive Measures of Professional Skepticism With Katharine Elizabeth Patterson, University of Waterloo, Kristian Rotaru, Monash University, Carla Wilkin, Monash University. Manuscript August. 2018. Presented at the Southern Ontario Behavioural Decision Research Conference May 3, 2019 in Waterloo; and the EAA Annual Conference May 29-31, 2019 in Paphos, Cyprus.
Factors Affecting Individuals’ Susceptibility to Cyber Attacks. 2019. Katharine Elizabeth Patterson and Jessie Ge. University of Waterloo. Presented at the 44 WCARS in Seville, March 21, 2019. Best paper award at ISAIS held at Michigan State University, June27-28, 2019.
How Reliable are the Hurtt Professional Skepticism Scale and Rotter Interpersonal Trust Scale for Audit Experimental Research? With Katharine Elizabeth Patterson, University of Waterloo, Kristian Rotaru, Monash University, Carla Wilkin, Monash University. Manuscript August. 2017. Presented at the AAA Auditing Section mid-year meeting, Portland, OR Jan 12-13, 2018; EAA Annual Conference, Milan, May 31-June1, 2018; CAAA Annual Conference Calgary, June 14-17; AAA Annual Conference August 5-8. 2018. Under revision.
Other works in progress
- Do Differences in CFO Background Matter to Financial Statement Quality? An Application of Machine Learning and Textual Analytics, with Louise Hayes University of Guelph, January 2017. EAA Annual Conference, Milan, May 31-June 1, 2018. Under revision.
Editor/Associate Editor etc.
- Co-Senior Editor, , 2020-2022
- Editor-in-Chief, (Emerald), 2016-2018
Associate Editor, , 2014-present
Editor-in-Chief, , 2006-2010
- , 2013-present
- , 2009-present
- , 2007-present
- , 2000-present
- , 2005-2007
- , 1990-2010
- , 1983-2000
- Haim Falk Award for Distinguished Contribution to Accounting Thought, 2018
- Lifetime Volunteer Award Nominee, CPA Canada, 2016
- Outstanding Educator Award, Strategic and Emerging Technologies (SET) section of the American Accounting Association, 2015
- Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Professional Accountants of Ontario (FCPA), 2013
- Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal, 2012
- Bill Swirsky Innovation Award, Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants, 2010
- Best Paper award (with Won G. No) at the World Congress on Privacy, Security, Trust and the Management of EBusiness, 2009
- Best Paper award (with Jee-Hae Lim), presented at the AAA Mid-Year Meeting of the IS Section, 2008
- George Baxter Distinguished Service Award, Canadian Academic Accounting Association, 2009
- L.S. Rosen Outstanding Educator Award, Canadian Academic Accounting Association, 2006
- Ontario Chartered Accountants’ Chair in Accounting, 2002
- Institute of Chartered Accountants of Ontario Award of Outstanding Merit, 1999
- Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Ontario (FCA), 1988
Funding (last 5 years)
- Social Science and Humanities Research Council, "The Role of External Valuation Specialists in Determining Fair Values in Corporate Reports", with Lev Timoshenko, University of Calgary, 2016-2019, $103,865.
- Social Science and Humanities Research Council, "Integrated Reporting", with with Leslie Berger and Carolyn McTavish, 2014-2015, $8,000.
- Social Science and Humanities Research Council, "XBRL", with Jee-Hae Lim, 2013-2014, $8,000.
- CAAA/SAP, "The Quality of Interactive (XBRL) Data", with Won No, 2013-2014, $6,700.
- Social Science and Humanities Research Council, "Consequences of Internal Control Weaknesses", with Jee-Hae Lim, 2010-2014, $76,000.
Professional service (last 5 years)
Member, Assurance Innovation Committee, Canadian Institute of Chartered Professional Accountants, 2016-present
Member, AP Editor Search Committee, Canadian Academic Accounting Association, 2015-2016
Member, Task Force on Data Analytics, American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, 2015-present
Member, Task Force on Cyber Security Assurance, American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, 2015-present
Member, Task Force on Trust Services/Information Integrity, American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, 2008-present
- Member, Study Group on Data Level Assurance, Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants, 2008-present
- Member, Study Group on Information Integrity, Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants, 2007-present
Consulting (last 5 years)
- Law firm, Expert in class action certification process involving lawsuit against a company in the gaming sector to opine on relevant governance, internal control and reporting matters, 2017-2018.
Ontario Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities, Postsecondary Education Quality Assessment Board (PEQAB)
– Review of Humber College Institute of Technology and Advanced Learning Honours Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting), 2017.
Siskinds LLP, Expert in class action lawsuit involving an auditor of a securities dealer to opine on relevant auditing matters, 2015-2017.
Shared Services Canada, Member of Independent Departmental Audit and Evaluation Committee, 2012-2016.
University of Toronto, Review of Proposal for Master’s program in Forensic Accounting, 2016.
- Law firm, Expert in class action suit involving a company in the resources sector to opine on relevant accounting and auditing matters.
Courses taught (since 2012)
- ACC 622 - E-Business/E-Commerce
- ACC 690 - Professional judgment
- ACC 750 - PhD Seminar in Auditing Research