Education and certifications
- Bachelor of Arts, Honours Economics (University of Waterloo)
- Masters of Adult Education (St. Francis Xavier University)
- Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA Ontario)
I have been teaching accounting in higher education since 2001 at the undergraduate, graduate and professional levels. I believe in a learner-centered approach to education and bring my work experience into the classroom so students gain an understanding of how accounting concepts are used in organizations. Before teaching, I worked in the insurance industry where I was involved in projects such as designing an division wide Activity Based Costing model and a financial and management accounting reporting system for a mutual fund dealership.
- Carty, L. & Baker, R. (2014). Student Perceptions of Learning Technologies in Introductory Accounting Courses. The Accounting Educators’ Journal, 24, 21-33.
- Balakrishnan, R., Sivaramakrishnan, K., Sprinkle, G., Carty, L. & Ferraro, M. (2011). Managerial Accounting (1st ed.). Etobicoke, ON: Wiley.
- Carty, L. & Wick, S. (2014). Canadian Managerial Accounting Cases. Etobicoke, ON: Wiley.
- Arts HeForShe Faculty Advocate
- SAF Learning Outcomes Committee member
- SAF Program and Curriculum Committee member
- AFM391 Intermediate Financial Accounting II
- AFM481 Cost Management Systems