Office: Hagey Hall 3102
Phone: 519-888-4567 x35423
I am interested in corporate disclosure and financial reporting, and their effects on capital markets. I am particularly interested in the role played by financial analysts as information intermediaries.
Education and certifications
- BA (Cornell)
- MBA (Chicago)
- PhD (Chicago)
- 2009, Canadian Academic Accounting Association (CAAA) Haim Falk Award for Distinguished Contribution to Accounting Thought
- 2004-present, Ernst & Young Professor of Accounting
- Patricia C. O’Brien and Hongping Tan, “Geographic Proximity and Analyst Coverage Decisions: Evidence from IPOs,” Journal of Accounting and Economics, 59:1 (2015) pp. 41-59.
- Andrew M. Bauer, Patricia C. O’Brien and Umar Saeed, “Reliability Makes Accounting Relevant: A Comment on the IASB Conceptual Framework Project,” Accounting in Europe, 11:2 (2014) pp. 211-217.
- O’Brien, Patricia C., “Securitisation, Transparency and Failure Risk,” Irish Accounting Review v. 18 n. 1 (Summer 2011) pp. 39-50.
- O’Brien, Patricia C., “Changing the Concepts to Justify the Standards,” Accounting Perspectives 8:4 (2009) pp. 263-275.
- Hilton, Andrew S. and Patricia C. O’Brien, 'Inco Ltd.: Market Value, Fair Value and Management Discretion,' Journal of Accounting Research 47:1 (Mar 2009) pp. 179-211.
- O'Brien, Patricia C., Maureen F. McNichols and Hsiou-wei Lin, 'Analyst Impartiality and Investment Banking Relationships,' Journal of Accounting Research 43:4 (Sep 2005) pp. 623-650.
- McNichols, Maureen, and Patricia C. O'Brien, 'Self Selection and Analyst Coverage,' Journal of Accounting Research 35:Supplement (1997) pp. 167-199.
- Austen-Smith, David, and Patricia C. O'Brien, 'Takeover Defenses and Shareholder Voting,' Economica (May 1992) pp. 199-219.
- O'Brien, Patricia C., 'Forecast Accuracy of Individual Analysts in Nine Industries,' Journal of Accounting Research 28:2 (1990) pp. 286-304.
- O'Brien, Patricia C., and Ravi Bushan, 'Analyst Following and Institutional Holding,' Journal of Accounting Research 28:Supplement (1990) pp. 55-76.
- O'Brien, Patricia C., 'Analysts' Forecasts as Earnings Expectations,' Journal of Accounting and Economics, 10:1 (1988) pp. 53-83.
- Weil, Roman L., Patricia C. O'Brien, Michael M. Maher, Clyde P. Stickney, and Kathleen Fitzgerald , Accounting: The Language of Business , Sun Lakes, AZ: Thomas Horton and Daughters, 11th Edition, 2005.
- Accounting Review, 1993 - 2008
- Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, 1996 - present
- Journal of Accounting Research, 2003 - 2009
Editor-in-Chief, Contemporary Accounting Research, 2013-present
Associate Editor, Contemporary Accounting Research, 2001 - 2010
- Accounting (ACC) 701 - Financial Accounting Research Seminar
- ACC 781 - Introduction to Research I
- ACC 784 - Topics in Research: Financial Reporting Standards
- ACC 608 - US Generally Accepted Accounting Principles
- ACC 609 - Financial Statement Analysis
- Accounting and Financial Management (AFM) 491 - Advanced Financial Accounting
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC), "Determinants of Financial Analyst Following and its Value Implications", H.Tan (principal investigator) and T. Wirjanto, 2011 - 2013, $87,062
- SSHRC, "Financial Reporting Concepts", 2010 - 2012, $68,000
- SSHRC, "Financial Analysts' Conflicts of Interest", 2006 -2009, $60,796
- SSHRC, "Compensation Contracts, Capital Structure and Debt Covenants", A. Douglas (principal investigator) and P. Zhang, 2004 - 2007, $60,725
- SSHRC, "Financial Analysts' Role in Capital Markets", 2000 - 2002, $45,000
- Canadian Academic Accounting Association (CAAA), "Causes and Consequences of Financial Analysts' Selection Decisions", 2000 - 2001, $10,000
Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants - Academic Advisory Committee member, 2005 - present.
I consult on issues of information in capital markets, including preparation and interpretation of financial disclosures, the effects of disclosure on capital markets, and the role of financial analysts as information intermediaries