Office: Hagey Hall 383F
Phone: 519-888-4567 x36524
Education and certifications
- BA (Sydney)
- LLB (Sydney)
- MA (Sydney)
- MBA (Manchester)
My present research interests are primarily in the field of applied ethics, specifically as it applies to members of professions. I am currently engaged in a project examining decision making by lawyers in private practice. I also work in the area of legal and ethical responsibilities of accountants and actuaries.
- Hugh Gunz & Sally Gunz, Ethical Challenges in the Role of In-House Counsel, 69 Case Western Reserve Law Review (2019), 1.
- Sally Gunz, Linda Whittaker (2016) Rock, Paper, Protest: the fight for the Boreal Forest, Journal of Legal Studies Education, 33 (2), 217-360.
- Roy Suddaby, Greg Saxton, Sally Gunz, Twittering Change: The Role of New Media in Reconstructing the Professional Identity of Big Four Accountants, Accounting, Organizationsa nd Society. Society, Accounting, Organizations and Society, (2015), pp. 52-68.
- Ronit Dinoviter, Hugh Gunz, Sally Gunz, The changing landscape of corporate legal practices: An empirical study of lawyers in large corporate law firms. Canadian Bar Review, 2015, 93, 343-369.
- Ronit Dinovitzer, Hugh Gunz, Sally Gunz, Unpacking client capture: evidence from corporate law firms. Ronit Dinovitzer, Hugh Gunz, Sally Gunz, Professional Ethics: Origins, Applications, and Developments in Empson, L., Muzio, D., Broschak, J. & Hinings, B. (Eds) 2015. The Oxford Handbook of Professional Service Firms. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 113-134.
- Ronit Dinovitzer, Hugh Gunz, Sally Gunz, Corporate lawyers and their clients: walking the line between law and business, Journal of the Legal Profession, 21:1, 3-21, 2014.
- Ronit Dinovitzer, Hugh
gunz, Sally Gunz, Unpacking client capture: evidence from corporate law firms, Journal of Professions and Organizations, Volume 1(2), 99-117, 2014.
- Stephen Zeff, Vaughan Radcliffe, Sally Gunz, Accounting and Auditing Activities of the Ontario Securities Commission, 1960's to 2008: The Role and Performance of the First Five Chief Accountants: - Part 3: The Fifth Chief Accountant, 1996-2008, Accounting Perspectives, Volume 13, Issue 4, 223-252, 2014.
- Ian Burt, Sally Gunz, John McCutcheon, Warning Lights on the Dashboard, Accounting Perspectives, Volume 13, Issue 3, 189-195. 2014.
- Ronit Dinovitzer, Hugh Gunz, Sally Gunz, Reconsidering Lawyer Autonomy: The Nexus Between Firm, Lawyer and Client in Large Commercial Practice, American Business Law Journal. Volume 51, Issue 3, 661-719, Fall 2014.
- Gunz, S. 'Accounting and business ethics' (2012) in R.Chadwick (Editor-in-chief) Encyclopedia of Applied Ethics, 2nd edn., Amsterdam: Elsevier pp.7-16.
- Gunz, S., M. Jennings, "A Proactive Proposal for Self-Regulation of the Actuarial Profession: A Means of Avoiding the Audit Profession's Post-Enron Regulatory Fate", American Business Law Journal, Volume 48, Issue 4, 641–711, Winter 2011.
- Bagley, C., S. Gunz, A. Naby Smith, “Research in Motion’s BlackBerry:Balancing Privacy Rights and National Security,” Yale School of Management case 11-011, 2011 (22 pp.).
- Gunz, S., S, van der Laan, "Actuaries, Conflicts of Interest and Professional Independence: The Case of James Hardie Industries Limited", Journal of Business Ethics, volume 98, No 4 (2011), 583.
thematic Symposium, Journal of Business Ethics 2014-2015
- Staff Editor, Journal of Legal Studies Education, Special Issue Editor, Journal of Business Ethics 2014
- Best Paper Award, Journal of Professions and Organizations, 2014-2015 (Ronit Dinovitzer, Hugh Gunz, Sally Gunz, Unpacking client capture: evidence from corporate law firms
- Outstanding Performance Award, University of Waterloo, 2014
- Canadian Association of University Teachers, Dedicated Service Award, 2013
- Indiana University CIBER/ALSB International Case Writing Award 2009 (with J. McCutcheon)
- Master Teacher Award, Academy of Legal Studies in Business with Darren Charters, 2006
- Indiana University CIBER/ALSB International Case Writing Award 2002 (with J. McCutcheon)
- Kay Duffy Memorial Board, Academy of Legal Studies in Business, for "services to the Academy", 2001
- Holmes-Cardozo Excellence in Research Award of the Academy of Legal Studies in Business, 2001
- Awarded for the paper: S. Gunz, H. Gunz, "The lawyer's response to organizational professional conflict: an empirical study of the ethical decision making of in-house counsel", 2001
- President, Canadian Academy of Legal Studies in Business
- Former President, Academy of Legal Studies in Business
- Member, Board of Directors, EthicsCentreCA (Canadian Centre for Ethics and Corporate Policy)
- Accounting and Financial Management (AFM) 231 - Business Law
- AFM 431 - Advanced topics in Law and Ethics